Train Experts needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

drummindefender

Right i need to go down to London on May 13th to get myself a Visa, which involves a trip to the US Embassy. Therefore i was wondering what the cheapest ticket i can get from Birmingham New Street into London-bear in mind my appointment is at 10am, so i reckon i'm going to have to get into London for about 8:30am (possibly earlier) as i have to be somewhere else first.

Would it be cheaper for me to travel from Leicester?

Also is there anyway that my return ticket (back to birmingham or leicester) can be at any time, as i am unsure what time i will finish at the embassy! (it will be on the same day though)

Many thanks!

I need to get from Leicester to London on sunday 20th April, and then on tuesday 22nd April i need to get to Heathrow Airport from Central London, some help please, my flight is at 20.25pm and i fnish work at 17.30pm enough time for me?

You won't be able to get any cheap tickets into London at that time, it will be much cheaper to go by coach. Megabus have some cheap tickets available if you're prepared to leave early enough.

There are some less expensive train tickets if you leave really early, but I wouldn't call them cheap, the online journey planners will be able to tell you the full details. You'll still end up paying a fortune for the return journey though, if you want to be flexible.

26.50 if i set my return time-not too bad

Looks like you don't even need to do that, it seems you can get a saver ticket, with no need to book trains or buy in advance.

I was looking at prices without the railcard, assuming you'd get the standard 30% discount at the most.
But it looks like people with a railcard can travel with (off peak) saver tickets at peak times, so you'd be paying around £50 less than someone without a railcard.

Looks like you don't even need to do that, it seems you can get a saver ticket, with no need to book trains or buy in advance.

I was looking at prices without the railcard, assuming you'd get the standard 30% discount at the most.
But it looks like people with a railcard can travel with (off peak) saver tickets at peak times, so you'd be paying around £50 less than someone without a railcard.

A long-standing Virgin-only inducement.

A suggestion.... can there be a sticky thread for train information as there seems to be so many questions recently. These could be taken from the go away thread and questions in general chat. People could then refer to this before posting new threads. I appreciate a lot of requests will be different but some will be the same. I know I benefitted today from last years Barnsley Away thread. Share best practice etc. Just an Idea!

Last edited:
A suggestion.... can there be a sticky thread for train information as there seems to be so many questions recently. These could be taken from the go away thread and questions in general chat. People could then refer to this before posting new threads. I appreciate a lot of requests will be different but some will be the same. I know I benefitted today from last years Barnsley Away thread. Share best practice etc. Just an Idea!

Thanks for the idea, but I disagree.

Do you really think people will refer to a long sticky thread to see if something has already been asked?
They can't even do that in the Go Away section, people regularly ask questions that have already been answered.

I'm not a fan of sticky threads, or threads that go on forever.
I'd prefer more short threads that are on topic, than fewer threads that go off on several tangents.

The forum has a perfectly good search function that makes it easy to find out if something has already been asked. Most people are just too lazy to use it.

£94 return from Paris.

I wonder how that compares with flights.

It will be fundamentally different Hazz, I promise you.

A plane won't be going though the Chunnel for a start.

Yer bags won't end up in Milan either

jeff or boc could you offer any advice for my youngest regarding cheaper tickets less than £60 for Leicester -Carlisle leave Friday evening return Sunday afternoon. Already has them for tomorrow just needed for any future trips.

jeff or boc could you offer any advice for my youngest regarding cheaper tickets less than £60 for Leicester -Carlisle leave Friday evening return Sunday afternoon. Already has them for tomorrow just needed for any future trips.

If you book in advance and get the timing right it's possible to do the journey for £12.50 each way (minus railcard discount, assuming he has one), but there never seems to be many cheap tickets on Sunday. Sometimes if there are no cheap tickets from Leicester there may still be some from Nuneaton or Birmingham.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46