train question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Vodka

how many train stations are there in Leicestershire? :)

and my definition of train station is...a station from which you can catch a passenger (not a freight!) train

ah...Bottesford was the gotcha :)

yeah there are Shackerstone, Stenton, Loughborough Central, Quorn & Woodhouse, Rothley and Leicester North too off the national network

Leicestershire must sure be the "off network" capital of the UK

there's plenty of old ones

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Disused_railway_stations_in_Leicestershire

and maybe some freight only ones...I think there's one at Croft as you come out of Hinckley for quarry stuff

Croft was a proper station. I lived in Croft when I was very young, the station closed when I was 1 or 2.

That list is also missing Ratby and Glenfield. I often used to walk the route of the old line between those villages when I was a kid. Those stations closed in 1928 but the line remained open until 1966 - it was one of the first railway lines built http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leicester_and_Swannington_Railway

Croft was a proper station. I lived in Croft when I was very young, the station closed when I was 1 or 2.

That list is also missing Ratby and Glenfield. I often used to walk the route of the old line between those villages when I was a kid. Those stations closed in 1928 but the line remained open until 1966 - it was one of the first railway lines built
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leicester_and_Swannington_Railway

It's still possible to walk part of the Glenfield Tunnel

It's still possible to walk part of the Glenfield Tunnel

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/H...opens-public/story-19792930-detail/story.html

It has been disused, locked up and largely forgotten for decades. But now a mile-long railway tunnel deep beneath the streets of Leicester has been temporarily reopened for visitors.

The Glenfield Tunnel, built in 1829, was one of the world’s first underground rail routes used by steam trains to carry coal from North West Leicestershire’s pits to the city.

It shut in the 1960s when British Rail sold it to Leicester City Council for £5.

Now, the council has arranged for it to be reopened for visits guided by the Leicestershire Industrial History Society. The first took place yesterday for a 20-strong group who were able to tour 100 metres of the tunnel from its entrance off Stephenson Court, Glenfield.

The brick-lined structure re-emerges near Gilroes Cemetery but its other entrance has been bricked up.

Society secretary David Lyne led the group along the unlit stretch. He said: “We are very grateful to the council for letting us see this amazing piece of the city’s industrial heritage. Most people have no idea it even exists.

“Coal is the reason this is here. In the early 19th century, Leicester tended to buy its coal from Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, despite there being coalfields in the county.

“That was because Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire had access to the canal network and north west Leicestershire didn’t.

“Pack horses brought the coal in from Whitwick but that was slow and more expensive.

“The railway was built to address that and the price of coal in Leicester plummeted and the city’s industry started to massively expand. This tunnel was very important for the city’s industrial development.”

The construction of the tunnel took three years and cost more than £17,000 – well over its original £10,000 budget – because of complications and because it was a relatively untested process. Renowned railway engineer George Stephenson was brought in to do the job.

Mr Lyne said: “There are 14 air vents along the tunnel, some of which come up in people’s gardens. We spoke to one woman who has one in her garden and warned her there might be some strange voices drifting up through it while we were down here.

“The vents are closed off but when we were down there before we found the remains of a motorcycle.”

The tours have proved popular and those planned for today, tomorrow and Saturday have all been booked up.

City mayor Sir Peter Soulsby, who joined the first group into the tunnel, said: “I must thank the Leicestershire Industrial History Society for doing these tours. Only in Leicester would we lock up and hide away such a wonderful feature.”

Sir Peter said it might be possible to reopen the closed off end of the tunnel and have it as a cycle path.

After 2000, a structural survey showed there was a danger of collapse because the tunnel was not designed to take the weight of the homes subsequently built above it. The city council spent £500,000 putting in concrete reinforcements.

City mayor Sir Peter Soulsby, who joined the first group into the tunnel, said: “...Only in Leicester would we lock up and hide away such a wonderful feature.”

Is he being proud or ashamed?

Perhaps they could turn it into a mausoleum for Dickie 3.

2 birds with one stone

ah, interesting stuff about the tunnel, i'd walk that

don't mind a bit of sad-act engineer trainspotting stuff...went over the Oresund bridge that joins Denmark & Sweden just to see it and I'm tempted to see that funky lock thing they have in Falkirk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566