trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
M66 down to the M62, M62 east. Cut off via Huddersfield over to the M1 just north of Barnsley. Down the M1.

2½ hours

When we went to Slaidburn (bit north of Accrington) last year we went the same way as you have described on the way there and it took fecking ages (nearly 5 hours), mostly because it was very busy at the time we had to travel and we got held up a lot on roads through the various towns on route

On the way back we just went M65 west, M6 South to J15 and then A50 to J24 of the M1 and it was much faster

Note - I realise this looks further and that our delays were mostly due to traffic on the way but just thought I'd add this if it helps

Note 2 - I am in no way questioning Boc's transport knowledge :)

Is there any trains that go direct from Hinckley to Birmingham International? I've had a quick look at for the times I want, the only one is over an hours journey and I have to change at New Street.

Can't be arsed with that sort of thing on the way home after a busy day shoppnig at the NEC, so had a look at the bus timetable, cos I remember once going on a Satdee(must've been an England weekend) and caught a direct bus from Nuneaton to there yet after looking on arriva and traveline can't find feck all that matches!

It can't be THAT hard for a non-driver to get there surely?

Is there any trains that go direct from Hinckley to Birmingham International? I've had a quick look at for the times I want, the only one is over an hours journey and I have to change at New Street.

Can't be arsed with that sort of thing on the way home after a busy day shoppnig at the NEC, so had a look at the bus timetable, cos I remember once going on a Satdee(must've been an England weekend) and caught a direct bus from Nuneaton to there yet after looking on arriva and traveline can't find feck all that matches!

It can't be THAT hard for a non-driver to get there surely?

Are there

Are there

You missed shoppnig, cos, and Satdee too as well as a couple of non-capitalisations.

If you are going to teach then at least be prepared to see it through to the end :icon_wink

I type too fast, which is why the 'ing' gets mixed up most of the time'.

And don't pick on my abbreviations of words! :P

Anyhoo, don't need the train now, as we have a lift!(Which means we can buy more and not have to worry about carrying it for ages til we get home!

Last edited:
A work colleague wants to go to London for the old day trip with bird in tow.From Leicester whats the best train fare regarding price timing etc? :102: Please NF, Boc, Jeff?

A work colleague wants to go to London for the old day trip with bird in tow.From Leicester whats the best train fare regarding price timing etc? :102: Please NF, Boc, Jeff?

Megatrain.com have lots of £5 single tickets available, it's a question of searching on the site for the dates/times they want.

Megatrain are unlikely to have cheap tickets for early morning trains to London, or afternoon/early evening trains coming back though.

For more sensible times just search on nationalrail.co.uk to find the best non Megatrain fares. If they're booking far enough ahead they should be able to do the trip for less than £20 each.

Megatrain.com have lots of £5 single tickets available, it's a question of searching on the site for the dates/times they want.

Megatrain are unlikely to have cheap tickets for early morning trains to London, or afternoon/early evening trains coming back though.

For more sensible times just search on nationalrail.co.uk to find the best non Megatrain fares. If they're booking far enough ahead they should be able to do the trip for less than £20 each.

Megatrain is now less useful for day trips from Leicester to the capital because the first service on which their tickets are available does not arrive in St Pancras until after 1 in the afternoon (M-F) and, other than one service which leaves Leicester at 5-summat, until after 2 in the afternoon on a Saturday. (Megatrain tickets are not available on Sundays)

I agree with Jeff though that the trip should be possible for less than £20 each, as long as you book ahead and are a bit flexible about times. Rather than using nationalrail.co.uk though, you might want to have a look at the National Express East Coast site. Where the National Rail site only gives you five trains and fares at a time, NXEC will show you many more. It will also show you the available fares and when you click on them, show you on which train they are available.

Megatrain is now less useful for day trips from Leicester to the capital because the first service on which their tickets are available does not arrive in St Pancras until after 1 in the afternoon (M-F) and, other than one service which leaves Leicester at 5-summat, until after 2 in the afternoon on a Saturday. (Megatrain tickets are not available on Sundays)

I agree with Jeff though that the trip should be possible for less than £20 each, as long as you book ahead and are a bit flexible about times. Rather than using nationalrail.co.uk though, you might want to have a look at the National Express East Coast site. Where the National Rail site only gives you five trains and fares at a time, NXEC will show you many more. It will also show you the available fares and when you click on them, show you on which train they are available.

Am i being a bit thick ? The East Coast site doesnt seem to service Leicester :102:

Am i being a bit thick ? The East Coast site doesnt seem to service Leicester :102:

National Express EastCoast trains do not serve Leicester, but I find their site to be the most user-friendly when it comes to finding the services and fares for all train companies.

£46 for a single from London to Leicester on May 4th.

Is it some kind of disgusting sick joke by a trainline employee or is a 1 hour direct train journey from the capital actually this ridiculous price.

They even have the cheek to call it a 'Super off peak single'

Someone needs killing.

£46 for a single from London to Leicester on May 4th.

Is it some kind of disgusting sick joke by a trainline employee or is a 1 hour direct train journey from the capital actually this ridiculous price.

They even have the cheek to call it a 'Super off peak single'

Someone needs killing.

Off to London, no doubt. Go to London! I guarantee you'll either be mugged or not appreciated. Catch the train to London, stopping at Rejection, Disappointment, Backstabbing Central and Shattered Dreams Parkway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46