Translate please

Status
Not open for further replies.
he may think that Connolly plays for wolves, thats the only other thing i can suggest

fitz said:
someone please translate this for me as i can't see the point this guy is making, maybe i'm just thick but it makes no sense to me

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co....&sourceNode=132378&contentPK=12223923

It's alright I do this sort of thing for work.

Offside Position: It is not an offence in itself to be in an offside position.

A player is in an offside position if he is nearer to his opponents' goal-line than both the ball and the second-last opponent.

A player is not in an offside position if he is in his own half of the field of play, or he is level with the second-last opponent or he is level with the last two opponents.

Offence: A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:

* Interfering with play

* Interfering with an opponent

* Gaining an advantage by being in that position.

As you can see from the above, the attacker "received the ball from a defender only to see his effort ruled out for offside," which is possible, under the laws of the game.

Clearly the writer and sub-editor are clearly incapable of understanding written English. The law states that an offence has occured iff (if and only if) "Offence: A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:" Thus although the player may be in an offside position, no offence (and there any free kick) is committed unless "the ball touches or is played by one of his team".

Although Connolly may have been in an Offside position, as the last person to touch the ball was a Wolves player, no Offence of Offside was committed.

If the writer and the LM would like to, I have some contracts I would like them to sign. Dead friendly they are. :D :p :wink: ;-) :mrgreen:

A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team... etc etc

Connolly received the ball from a Wolves player, not from some one of his team, so that means the player is NOT offside. I am no good at logic but that sounds pretty logical to me.

I am also surprised to find that Craig Levein "may not know the rule-book from back to front but I know that one isn't in there." since it clearly is.!
No it fooking well isn't. Tw@![/quote]

he does ramble a fair bit, but i think the point he is trying to make is that because the ball was played by a wolves player, under the laws of the game, Connolly cannot be deemed to be offside.

A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team
but you're right he doesn't make much sense

I do not want to confuse the issue here as I have not seen the replay, but surely the point would be, that if Connolly was in an offside postion when the Leicester player played the ball then Connolly could be deemed to be in a position where he could gain an advantage, even though it then hit the Wolves player before it reached him.

Mike - True Blue Tinter said:
I do not want to confuse the issue here as I have not seen the replay, but surely the point would be, that if Connolly was in an offside postion when the Leicester player played the ball then Connolly could be deemed to be in a position where he could gain an advantage, even though it then hit the Wolves player before it reached him.

As he was behind the wolves player it was unlikely he would have seen him, so that is unlikely too, the linesman was ok to give the offside, but the ref should have stepped in and pointed out it came off the wolves player.

Sadly it was not the only shocking decision he made that night. :-x

i suspect Lboro wrote the article by that post, still don't see how it can mean he was right to disallow the goal

i had a poor view (but better than the linesman i imagine) from E3 and it looked like their player wanted to play forest next season by playing a throughball to connolly, which they gave as offside.

anyone disagree excluding a mr Chris Elliott

fitz said:
i had a poor view (but better than the linesman i imagine) from E3 and it looked like their player wanted to play forest next season by playing a throughball to connolly, which they gave as offside.

Can you give us a bit more detail about this 'through ball'?

From what you said it's still no clearer whether it was offside or not.

Did it deflect off the Wolves player, was he trying to intercept a cross, or did he control the ball and deliberately play it back?

i'm downloading the highlights incase my memory decieves me but i was convinced it was well controlled and carefully passed through

I dont get it, he was a leicester player and he scored from that position therefore he cant be offside. simple

Connelly was behind (slightly to the right of) the wolves player who did not see him, at which point he was in an offside position but not affecting play, so the linesman was ok to give the offside, but the ref should have stepped in and pointed out it that it came off Lescott.

Hope thats clearer Webbo, if not pay for lcfc world, ;-)

So Connolly was in a position, when the Leicester player played it, "where he could gain an advantage", therefore offside. When it it hit the Wolves player he is still offside. He is only onside if the Wolves player controls the ball and passes it to Connolly.

So Connolly was in a position, when the Leicester player played it, "where he could gain an advantage", therefore offside. When it it hit the Wolves player he is still offside. He is only onside if the Wolves player controls the ball and passes it to Connolly.

Offside Position: It is not an offence in itself to be in an offside position.

The law states that an offence has occured iff (if and only if) "Offence: A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:" Thus although the player may be in an offside position, no offence (and there any free kick) is committed unless "the ball touches or is played by one of his team".

In terms of 'could gain advantage' he was on the field, but in terms of was he affecting the players around him not at all, all down to opinion of course. He wasnt blocking the goal keepers view (a la bolton last year), the goalie is not even looking at him. Nor does he effect what Lescoot does with the ball that causes it to fall to connelly.

Offence: A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:

* Interfering with play

* Interfering with an opponent

* Gaining an advantage by being in that position.

Connolly was gaining an advantage by being in an offside position when the Leicester player played the ball. It does not matter that it then hit the Wolves player, unless he then controlled it and passed it to Connolly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566