Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys - really appreciate the advice.

I have one further stupid question. We really want to format the hard drive completely. The computer is so slow and cluttered with rubbish and there is some powerspy thing that keeps cropping up, we don't know if her ex put it on there to snoop or what. Anyway... my question is?

Will this linux thing (someone gave me the link earlier - Linux Mint 10) just give me the option to format the hard drive once I've installed it as my OS?

Do I need to format the drive manually? What is the best way to do this? I've never done anything like this before. Feel like I should know, but I just dont.

If you use Linux the clutter on Windows is irrelevant, whether you format the drive or not.

But one of the options when you install Linux would be to use the whole drive, so anything that's already there will be deleted (and the drive formatted) as part of that process.

Once I'd created the disk and convinced the computer to boot from it, within twenty minutes or so I'd installed the OS and had a much quicker running computer with no bloatware. Everything Rachel needs is actually integrated anyway, since firefox comes with it, there is an email client and I believe openoffice is already on there too.

First impressions are that its far less demanding on an underpowered processor and the new outdated 1gb ram, but seeing as it will really only be used as a netbook might, I thought there would be life in the old dog yet. I don't understand why it shipped with Vista anyway. Its a celeron 1.73 ghz processor with 1gb RAM. Since its an ACER, it also came preloaded with a load of bloatware my wife would have no idea how to go about removing, as well as all the rubbish she's picked up since.

Overall I'd say I was impressed with the UI which is pretty much intuitive and isn't all that different to Windows to be honest. The system runs quicker than I think its ever done and I just get the impression its a bit more streamlined. It certainly boots up a lot quicker.

Its going to suit us for what its required for.

I'm not sure I'd go over to it in preference to Windows on my other systems, but I'm thinking of trying it on my laptop which also runs Vista. My concern is that I do have quite a bit of software on there which I use regularly and I'm not sure where we stand in terms of software working only on Windows? Does that happen at all?

Paint Shop Pro PhotoX2 is something I use a lot (as an example) - would this run ok on linux-mint?

Once I'd created the disk and convinced the computer to boot from it, within twenty minutes or so I'd installed the OS and had a much quicker running computer with no bloatware. Everything Rachel needs is actually integrated anyway, since firefox comes with it, there is an email client and I believe openoffice is already on there too.

First impressions are that its far less demanding on an underpowered processor and the new outdated 1gb ram, but seeing as it will really only be used as a netbook might, I thought there would be life in the old dog yet. I don't understand why it shipped with Vista anyway. Its a celeron 1.73 ghz processor with 1gb RAM. Since its an ACER, it also came preloaded with a load of bloatware my wife would have no idea how to go about removing, as well as all the rubbish she's picked up since.

Overall I'd say I was impressed with the UI which is pretty much intuitive and isn't all that different to Windows to be honest. The system runs quicker than I think its ever done and I just get the impression its a bit more streamlined. It certainly boots up a lot quicker.

Its going to suit us for what its required for.

I'm not sure I'd go over to it in preference to Windows on my other systems, but I'm thinking of trying it on my laptop which also runs Vista. My concern is that I do have quite a bit of software on there which I use regularly and I'm not sure where we stand in terms of software working only on Windows? Does that happen at all?

Paint Shop Pro PhotoX2 is something I use a lot (as an example) - would this run ok on linux-mint?

You can download the Windows environment emulator for Linux which is called WINE. This enables a lot (but not all) of Windows software to run on a Linux platform.

Can't vouch for PSP though - sorry.

There are however lots of applications for Linux that are comparable (some are better!) to most available Windows software. See here for details. Linux Questions.

Last edited:
My concern is that I do have quite a bit of software on there which I use regularly and I'm not sure where we stand in terms of software working only on Windows? Does that happen at all?

You can install a package called WINE which allows you to run some Windows programs. It all depends on the program itself though as to whether it'll run and how stable it'll be. It can be hit and miss, some programs will run without a bother, others won't even start.
There's also a commercial package called CrossOver, which does a similar job to WINE, it ain't cheap but it is a lot better than WINE and it would have more chance of being able to run the likes of Paint Shop Pro.

To be honest though, if you can find a Linux alternative it's always better to use that.

To install WINE, and any of the alternative programs that you want to try, just load up the package manager from the Start menu and do a search of the repositories. The package manager will install them for you automatically when you select them.

I thought I ought to add my thoughts following the install etc.

I've used the laptop a little and have been surprised how easy linux mint is to use. Its not terribly dissimilar in terms of UI to Windows XP (which I was moving from) or from Vista (which Rachel was moving from).

Considering what she needs to use it for, its ideal and it now ticks along at a fair rate. Previously it was slow to the point it genuinely was unusable. I think I've cleared out a load of spyware, bloatware etc.

Anyway - I'd recommend it - especially to anyone considering upgrading hardware, give that old 'defunct' laptop a new lease of life with linux mint and a clean up of the harddrive/registry.

Its easy and well worth the effort.

Thanks for everyone's help with it.

Its easy and well worth the effort.

People don't like change and there is a certain 'fear factor' element too. But once you do go for it, as you have found, it really isn't that big a leap.

Glad you like it.

I use it but it isn't my main OS because a lot of the software I use and like I only have for Windows.

People don't like change and there is a certain 'fear factor' element too. But once you do go for it, as you have found, it really isn't that big a leap.

Glad you like it.

I use it but it isn't my main OS because a lot of the software I use and like I only have for Windows.

That's why I don't use it. I like using Office and I like using Photoshop too much.

That's why I don't use it. I like using Office and I like using Photoshop too much.

Open Office and The Gimp don't even come close despite what the aficionados would have you believe.

Open Office and The Gimp don't even come close despite what the aficionados would have you believe.

I'm no fan of the GIMP, bot I much prefer Open Office by a long, long way

Is this install fairly easy to do off a flash drive?

Alright where do I get the ISO file from?? Do I have to download it seperately?

Alright where do I get the ISO file from?? Do I have to download it seperately?

Yep. The ISO file is an image of whichever version of Linux you're going to place onto the flashdrive. The app that I linked to handles transferring the ISO onto your flashdrive and making it bootable.

The ISOs for the latest LinuxMint are here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469