UEFA Save of the Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick reactions, yes but had he not moved, he'd have saved it with his head anyway. Surely, you can't get nominated for saving a shot that's hit directly at you?

Quick reactions, yes but had he not moved, he'd have saved it with his head anyway. Surely, you can't get nominated for saving a shot that's hit directly at you?
Most bizarre post of the week I'm afraid. Let the season start please

Feel free to whoosh me if that was some kind of satire directed at something I've missed

I think Courtois' save against PSG is an excellent save. I am not sure which is better though. Personally I think Kasper made some cracking saves for us in the season that may actually be better than that one, but it's just UEFA cups I assume?

Most bizarre post of the week I'm afraid. Let the season start please

Feel free to whoosh me if that was some kind of satire directed at something I've missed

Ditto.

Feel free to watch the two slow-mo replays and use the pause button to clearly see that the ball was going to hit him in the face before he dropped and put his hands where his face would have been. Failing that, get yourself down Specsavers.

eel free to watch the two slow-mo replays and use the pause button to clearly see that the ball was going to hit him in the face before he dropped and put his hands where his face would have been.

Do you think it would have been better for him to just let it hit his face, rather than reacting quickly to get his hands to the ball?

Last edited:
Ditto.

Feel free to watch the two slow-mo replays and use the pause button to clearly see that the ball was going to hit him in the face before he dropped and put his hands where his face would have been. Failing that, get yourself down Specsavers.
I think you're wrong on this one I'm afraid, Tex.

Ditto.

It wasn't a great save because if he hadn't moved it would probably have hit him in the head anyway?

I honestly don't know what to say to that

Ditto.

And if it had hit him in the face, it could have skewed off into the goal or dropped to be put over the line, or knocked him out! He directed it up and away from goal in a split second. Great save!

I think I'm going over to the safe house. Even if I have to sit in the shed.

The point that I am trying to make is that what I would call a "great save" is where the keeper has made an astonishing attempt to save what seemed like a certain goal (e.g finger tip saves to turn the ball away around the post) but I just can't see that in this video.

As far as I'm concerned (and obviously some of you disagree), no matter what the keeper's reaction, a shot that is struck directly at the keeper can not be a contender for "save of the season". Irrespective of whether that video was Kasper, Hart, Casillas or some kid on the local park on a Sunday morning, I see somebody trying to save their face (à la Pat Van Den Hauwe vs Scotland) rather than a save of the season contender because the shot was bound to hit his face and not the back of the goal! If it was a "save yourself a bloody nose", sure - he may win. Save of the season? Unlikely.

You are assuming that it will just bounce harmlessly away from his face, and not end up in the goal as a deflection or a follow-up shot.

Point blank saves like that are always good as the keeper has little time to react. That header was going in if you ask me, going to the top right of Kasper's head. For me, the best save of the lot is probably Courtois'.

EDIT - what is especially good about Kasper's save is that the delivery was lightning quick and the contact from the header equally swift.

Point blank saves like that are always good as the keeper has little time to react. That header was going in if you ask me, going to the top right of Kasper's head. For me, the best save of the lot is probably Courtois'.

EDIT - what is especially good about Kasper's save is that the delivery was lightning quick and the contact from the header equally swift.

This

Holy Jebus

Just went you think it couldn't get any more stupid.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566