ULEZ & The Environment

It's not pissing me off as I don't use trains in this country because they are expensive, dirty, overcrowded and unreliable but it's pissing plenty of other people off, I didn't say it's pissing everyone in the public off, Some people will understand why and be sympathetic and others will be pissed off especially the majority of the 80,000 that were estimated to use the trains last weekend to travel to Brighton,
There was plenty of Manchester fans pissed off when the Aslef union went on strike deliberately for the FA cup final.
You said it was pissing the public off. I fundamentally disagree. It’s pissing you off and, no doubt, there are others that feel that way, but there are also a great many who support them, so it’s not pissing the public off, it’s pissing off a group of people who don’t or can’t understand why they’re doing it.

I don’t use the trains much either, but it doesn’t mean I can’t empathise with those who work in that industry.

You said it was pissing the public off. I fundamentally disagree. It’s pissing you off and, no doubt, there are others that feel that way, but there are also a great many who support them, so it’s not pissing the public off, it’s pissing off a group of people who don’t or can’t understand why they’re doing it.

I don’t use the trains much either, but it doesn’t mean I can’t empathise with those who work in that industry.
Ok.

It's not affecting me so no I'm not pissed off.

I'll come up with a scenario, you and your wife work hard all year to take your 2 children on an amazing all inclusive 5 star holiday with swim up rooms, football school, yoga classes and Al a carte restaurants etc for 2 weeks,3 weeks before your due to depart your all super excited and really looking forward to it,then the pilots of Tui call a strike, your holiday is cancelled you get a full refund.

Well you've explained it to your children why people have to strike.....

I and millions of others couldn't care less because it hasn't affected us but to you and your family it's "pissed you off" made you angry, whatever, because it's personally affected you and your family to something you were really looking forward to.

So 6 teenagers book months in advance to go away for a weekend after there exam's finish, they planned to go to Witherspoon's before for a few drinks before they get the train, they were all excited and looking forward to the weekend ahead, all is good until the unions decided to deliberately target that busy weekend to cause maximum disruption. Now 2 of them can't drink and have to drive it's ruined their weekend.

Obviously you and millions of others don't care and completely understand why the strike is happening, the only reason you don't care and support the strike is because it hasn't affected you one bit, but I can bet being human and because it's personally affected you, now you would be pissed off with the pilots strike.....

Ok.

I'll come up with a scenario, you and your wife work hard all year to take your 2 children on an amazing all inclusive 5 star holiday with swim up rooms, football school, yoga classes and Al a carte restaurants etc for 2 weeks,3 weeks before your due to depart your all super excited and really looking forward to it,then the pilots of Tui call a strike, your holiday is cancelled you get a full refund.

I and millions of others couldn't care less because it hasn't affected us but to you and your family it's "pissed you off" made you angry, whatever, because it's personally affected you and your family to something you were really looking forward to.

So 6 teenagers book months in advance to go away for a weekend after there exam's finish, they planned to go to Witherspoon's before for a few drinks before they get the train, they were all excited and looking forward to the weekend ahead, all is good until the unions decided to deliberately target that busy weekend to cause maximum disruption. Now 2 of them can't drink and have to drive it's ruined their weekend.

Obviously you and millions of others don't care and completely understand why the strike is happening, the only reason you don't care and support the strike is because it hasn't affected you one bit, but I can bet being human and because it's personally affected you, now you would be pissed off with the pilots strike.....
It's affected me hugely.

I still support it.

It's called morality.

Ok.

My family holiday flight was cancelled at less than 36 hours notice due to a strike by Italian air traffic controllers, just 3 weeks ago. I made alternative arrangements, which took a bit of effort, but still managed to go. No great drama. Even if it had been cancelled, I'd have found an alternative and done that.

Your daughter and her friends haven't been prevented from going, they just had to make alternative arrangements, but hopefully they look at why people have gone on strike, rather than just bemoan the fact that their plans have changed a bit.

My kids went down to Brighton for the weekend as well

Just shrugged their shoulders drove there instead of getting the train.

Just catching up on this, but isn't the point here not about the morality of striking, but the shockingly poor way in which the country is being run.

Providing healthcare and transport are two of the basic fundamentals of running a state. The fact they're on strike frequently indicates the state is not being well run.

During Covid the train operators all effectively went bust. That was a perfect opportunity for the government to start on a different path of resolving one of the worst privatisations we've ever had. But they haven't done it, despite the service getting continually worse.

I was talking to someone from Coventry the other day, they were bemoaning that Avanti have massively cut their services to London since the pandemic, but have suffered no consequences from government. People have bought houses on that line on the basis of those services running.

Hey camberwell fox camberwell fox How do you feel about the news that TfL plan to charge motorists to use the Blackwall Tunnel?

HS2 is the latest fiasco. What an incredible waste of money to build a train line between the edge of London and Birmingham!

I'm pro HS2 in it's original form. Anyone who has travelled to Manchester by anything other than private aircraft (so not Rishi) will know that the train network getting up there is old, cramped and packed! It's exactly the same story on the M6.

This country has ended up in a state of managed decline. Tomorrow looks worse than yesterday and as one of the top 10 richest nations on earth, it doesn't make sense.

I've pretty consistently voted Conservative in the past, but there's no way I will be this time round. Most of the people I know are in exactly the same boat. As I've said before, politics isn't football and it's about choosing the best team, not the one you support, but if I were to make a football analogy - the Tories have gone from Holloway (Boris), to Peter Taylor (Truss) to Puel (Sunak) - we need a Nigel Pearson to come in and rebuild.

HS2 is the latest fiasco. What an incredible waste of money to build a train line between the edge of London and Birmingham!

I'm pro HS2 in it's original form. Anyone who has travelled to Manchester by anything other than private aircraft (so not Rishi) will know that the train network getting up there is old, cramped and packed! It's exactly the same story on the M6.

This country has ended up in a state of managed decline. Tomorrow looks worse than yesterday and as one of the top 10 richest nations on earth, it doesn't make sense.

I've pretty consistently voted Conservative in the past, but there's no way I will be this time round. Most of the people I know are in exactly the same boat. As I've said before, politics isn't football and it's about choosing the best team, not the one you support, but if I were to make a football analogy - the Tories have gone from Holloway (Boris), to Peter Taylor (Truss) to Puel (Sunak) - we need a Nigel Pearson to come in and rebuild.
Big Nige for PM!

Feels absolutely true doesn’t it.
I certainly have not experienced a time that feels quite so hopeless with everything feeling as if it is crumbling around us.

The incompetence we're seeing now is just staggering.

Launching a conference with a slogan of 'Long-term decisions for a brighter future', only to cancel the highest profile national long term project that exists, whilst your own Tory mayor holds a press confernece outside the confernece hall to accuse you of 'cancelling the future'.

Even Boris recognised that the votes in the north had been leant to him and that he needed to win voters long term support by delivering on levelling up. Who is going to believe any pledge made by a Conservative PM, when 5 have promised HS2, only to cancel it.

I really don't understand the political timing either. Leave it a year and it's a big headache either for Labour party, or the start of a new 5 year team (should they, by some miracle, retain power).

Cut it now, use the money for tax cuts and more PR about immigants being the root of all problems - that's the thinking

Cut it now, use the money for tax cuts and more PR about immigants being the root of all problems - that's the thinking

Listening to some interviews last night, they've gone full blown Trump style haven't they?

Just making up stuff and doubling down when it's pointed out to them.

The next year will be full of social media lies and scare tactics. And given how dumb most people are, it might work.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4564
10Preston 4563