Underrated Bands

Status
Not open for further replies.

drummindefender

It was about time for this thread i felt i can't think of any myself at the moment but which bands do you feel don't get the recognition that they so rightly deserve? Who would like to get the ball rolling......

The Open are a very good band,there Album is really good IMO sort of Dovesish.
I could name hundreds who I believe to be underratted but its just opinions.I will however name one ..Puressence.

There are many bands such as British Sea Power and Arcade Fire who will never make the crossover into mainstream and never been rewarded as much as more mainstream. But they deserve public acclaim and will eventually in the future been regarded as inspirations for people.

i.e. Gang of Four never received a mass acclaim on their debut Entertainment! but now every punk-rock, art-rock are definetly inspired by them. Long may it continue because it means everyone has their unique band which can only be loved by them and few select other fans. Sometimes espically of late fame is not always a good thing with music.

Gang Of Four are a band who has provided great inspiration for the Red Hot Chilli Peppers.
Kitchens Of Distint... (someone will know em) provided inspiration for British Sea Power
Happy Mondays became a band because of this old yokel bloke which used sing in the 70s I forgot his name.

Also everyone says The Beatles provided bands such as Oasis and Stone Roses inspiration but its actually a mixed of 60s rock. Everyone forgets that The Kinks with 'Really Got Me' provided a perfect,easy rock song, basically a blueprint.

highland fox said:
Joy Division ?

Joy Division are often overplayed by the media that when any moody band comes about there is a straight JD comparison. But unless your a fan, everyone remembers me for Love Will Tear Us Apart but both of their albums show the true identity.

Motown music influences most bands but never refered to by anyone.

Hazzman said:
Joy Division are often overplayed by the media that when any moody band comes about there is a straight JD comparison. But unless your a fan, everyone remembers me for Love Will Tear Us Apart but both of their albums show the true identity.

Motown music influences most bands but never refered to by anyone.

Ok the The House Of Love they were an inspiration for many a Young Indie band.

The Replacements - every crappy punk-lite band in the world i.e. Green Day have used their power chord template and stunk it big time.

Slint - sold tiny numbers of records but have influenced countless alternative bands.

lazzer said:
....as did slik :icon_wink

Will this be in your Christmas stocking?

B00005072S.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Real Sharapova said:
1. The Open
2. Hope of the States
Reasons, oh well;

The Open - pretty difficult to pigeonhole, but certain Bunneymen/Floyd influences. New album out in Jan, which hopefully will be as good as 1st, but somehow you know they won't make it as they are not mainstream enough. Good live band, but need to knock off the rough edges.
Hope of the States - impossible to pigeonhole, which is why they might make it. Brilliant first album, don't know when follow-up is. Fantastic live.

Clinic are underrated IMO.

Joe_Fox said:
Clinic are underrated IMO.

I.P.C. Subeditors Dictate Our Youth was good. Am I right in thinking they are heavily influenced by The Monks (who were a very fine band).

Ox Fox said:
I.P.C. Subeditors Dictate Our Youth was good. Am I right in thinking they are heavily influenced by The Monks (who were a very fine band).

The Monks ? - Nice legs shame about the face? :icon_bigg

Anyway,
Dr Feelgood (esp. with Wilko J. on guitar) must have inspired everyone in the UK from the late 70's onwards.
Dinosaur Jr have done the same with the US since the late 80's

Go on then, tell me I'm completly wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669