United - The TV Drama

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that surprises you, perhaps this will really amaze you!

Or, less postively, maybe this:
naziMOS0902_468x196.jpg

That wasn't supposed to be a true representation. It was a flashback that the coach was having about seeing the deceased players still being there. The pipe was to remind us thick viewers who it was supposed to be. If you kept looking the player with the pipe (and others) changed back into the 'current' team when the coaches memory was bought back to the present.
He was also shown smoking in the tunnel before the Charlton game.
Or, less postively, maybe this:
naziMOS0902_468x196.jpg
Does the Daily Mail ever bring attention to its own pro-Nazi past?

I knew very little of the disaster before watching the show. What struck me was an English football team being in Germany about a decade after the 2nd world war.

Did life really go back to normal so quickly that we were happy to be playing football with them?

They had played Red Star Belgrade. They were only in Munich to refuel on the way home.

I knew very little of the disaster before watching the show. What struck me was an English football team being in Germany about a decade after the 2nd world war.

Did life really go back to normal so quickly that we were happy to be playing football with them?

There was intense feeling against the Germans among the general public although the British authorities were very keen to support West Germany. I believe there was a local demonstration against the signing of German POW Bert Trautmann by Manchester City.

The British government on the other hand was keen to nurture the democratic state of West Germany which was seen as a bulwark against Communist Russia. Thus there were also a number of schemes such as one my father took part in. A German gentleman came to stay in our home for a week and when he left my father went with him to spend a week in his home.

A large section of the public retained a dislike of the Germans. At Filbert Street in the 1960s/70s there was an England Under 23 match against Germany in which the Leicester crowd sang "Adolf - Adolf Hitler - Adolf Hitler on the wing."

A large section of the public retained a dislike of the Germans. At Filbert Street in the 1960s/70s there was an England Under 23 match against Germany in which the Leicester crowd sang "Adolf - Adolf Hitler - Adolf Hitler on the wing."

I guess he was thought to be playing on the right?

He was also shown smoking in the tunnel before the Charlton game.

Does the Daily Mail ever bring attention to its own pro-Nazi past?

The point is well-made. There was a very unpleasant tendency in the 1930s for people to support Nazism as an alternative to Communism or Communism as an alternative to Nazism.

The pro-Nazi past was of course that of Lord Rothermere owner of the Daily Mail.
How far Lord Rothermere supported the Nazis and for how long is a matter of debate. My understanding (and it is not my period) is that Rothermere supported Mosley for a very short time changing his mind when the Olympia rally of 1934 showed the Fascists in their true light.
Rothermere continued to be desperate for peace with Germany and supported the Baldwin-Chamberlain governments. This desperation was usual for men who understood the power of the bomber.
Rothermere was in many ways a throughly decent man and it is a pity that a grave though short lived mistake should haunt his memory.

There is a tendency to single out the Daily Mail and whitewash The Guardian. The Mail would go on to condemn Mosley in the 1950s and the BNP to this day. The record of the Guardian is far worse. They were sympathetic to Stalin's Russia throughout the 1930s and even after the war continued to give column space to old time communists. Even to this day when British Marxisrs die they can be sure of a warm tribute in the obituary pages of the Guardian and Indpendent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669