United - The TV Drama

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Gwilliam

Apologies for the length of this post but the loss of the great Man U side should not be dismissed in a couple of trite sentences . Those with short attention spans are advised not to even start the post and pick up a celebrity magazine instead.

I thought the TV play United about the Munich Air Crash was superb and I recommend it although parts are inevitably harrowing.

It is remarkable that Manchester United was actually popular with other clubs fans in those days. They "played with a smile on their face" whereas their chief rivals Wolves while very talented relied on organization, physical strength and a superb defence.

This was also partly because of the personality of Matt Busby. The question of who is the greatest ever Man U manager can never be finally answered - Ferguson won more but Busby overcame greater difficulties (a bombed out stadium, an uncooperative set of football authoiries and then the aircrash). There can be no doubt who gave football a better image.

I almost typed that the players were of the very highest quality but this ignores the fact that they would have got better. Duncan Edwards quality has led people for forget how good the rest were.
Roger Byrne was one of the finest fullbacks this country has produced and was expected to inevitably replace Billy Wright as England captain and people were already saying that in the end Edwards would be England captain.
Tommy Taylor was the England centre forward. Nat Lofthouse one of theb greatest centre forwards ever once said "I was better than Jackie Milburn and Stan Mortenson but Tommy Taylor was better than me."
Everyone knew that Eddie Coleman would eventually become Edwards wing half partner for England.
There has been a tendency to see Harry Gregg as a victim because of the cup final goal in which Lofthouse banged him into the net. I had read how tough a character he was which makes sense since if forwards could go for goalkeepers then the keeper in turn had to be as hard as nails.

As for Duncan Edwards he played for England at the age of seventeen which was absolutely unheard of in the physical game of the time; but then he was built like the proverbial _____ house.
I have never seen a player with greater presence on a football pitch and he was only twenty when I saw him.
For me the greatest British player ever was Stanley Matthews although George Best had flashes where he was even better. I have often wondered whether Duncan Edwards would have been the greatest of them all.
Bobby Charlton would become one of the greatest players of all time and he said that Edwards was the only player he had ever been in awe of. When I saw the Busby Babes Bobby Charlton only got to play because left winger David Pegg was injured
Duncan Edwards was already at twenty acknowledged to be the best player in the best team in the country.

All credit to the cast. I have only seen interviews with Busby when he was older than in the play but the actor had the presence and voice of a younger Busby.
Also all credit for focusing on Jimmy Murphy; it had never occurred to me what a remarkable job he had done for his club.

Well done the BBC for this play.

For some reason I was getting filbert street in my head but it musnt be :icon_lol:

I only know it's Carlisle cos a CUFC fan on TFF was on about it at the weekend, and said he didn't know whether to be flattered they used his clubs ground for it or bemused that they think Brunton Park still looks like a ground from the 1950's.:081:

Last edited:
I only know it's Carlisle cos a CUFC fan on TFF was on about it at the weekend, and said he didn't know whether to be flattered they used his clubs ground for it or bemused that they think Brunton Park still looks like a ground from the 1950's.:081:

It needs some work ;)

All credit to the cast. I have only seen interviews with Busby when he was older than in the play but the actor had the presence and voice of a younger Busby.
Also all credit for focusing on Jimmy Murphy; it had never occurred to me what a remarkable job he had done for his club.

Well done the BBC for this play.

Sandy Busby, Harry Gregg and others who should be in the know, seem to be less than impressed by it though.

However it was supposed to be a drama rather than a documentary so it's not surprising they claim there are inaccuracies.

With respect, DG, I was not as impressed as you. While I thought the drama got more watchable as it progressed, I felt there were a few annoyances that affected my watching experience early on.

Firstly, David Tennant's Welsh accent. Jimmy Murphy was Welsh, yes, but he was not Max Boyce.

Secondly, the portrayal by Dougray Scott of Sir Matt Busby as a Scottish Clint Eastwood. This was plainly absurd. He was also portrayed as somewhat rude and terse, which by most accounts he was not.

Thirdly, the nonsensical portrayal of certain aspects of the game. One player was seen smoking a pipe in the tunnel - utterly ludicrous.

As I said, it got more watchable as it went on and I'm glad I persevered with it, but it should not be considered to be historically accurate.

With respect, DG, I was not as impressed as you. While I thought the drama got more watchable as it progressed, I felt there were a few annoyances that affected my watching experience early on.

Firstly, David Tennant's Welsh accent. Jimmy Murphy was Welsh, yes, but he was not Max Boyce. A lot of the Welsh have strong accents.

Secondly, the portrayal by Dougray Scott of Sir Matt Busby as a Scottish Clint Eastwood. This was plainly absurd. He was also portrayed as somewhat rude and terse, which by most accounts he was not. Not sure about this myself either as Sir Matt was always portrayed as a father figure I thought George Best always mentioned this. However in the 50's maybe he was stricter

Thirdly, the nonsensical portrayal of certain aspects of the game. One player was seen smoking a pipe in the tunnel - utterly ludicrous.
As I said, it got more watchable as it went on and I'm glad I persevered with it, but it should not be considered to be historically accurate.

Possibly this is the pipe smoking player -
Mark Jones (15 June 1933 – 6 February 1958) was an English footballer and one of eight Manchester United players to lose their lives in the Munich air disaster. Born in Wombwell, near Barnsley, South Yorkshire in 1933, he was the club's first-choice centre half for much of the 1950s and collected two League Championship winner's medals.

He played a total of 120 first team games for United (103 of them in the league), and scored once.

Jones is buried in Wombwell near Barnsley, his birthplace. He had moved from there in the early 1950s after turning professional with Manchester United and moving to Flixton.[2]

Jones was often nicknamed Dan Archer by his team mates, in reference to his pipe smoking habit similar to that of the character in the radio serial The Archers.

Last edited:
There was a story told in Stanley Matthews autobiography about Jimmy Murphy.

Wilf McGuiness was a particularly naive player even by those days and was due to make his debut against I think Wollves and their skilful inside forward Peter Broadbent.

The conversation went something like this:
Jimmy Murphy: Big game for you today Wilf.
Wilf McGuiness: Yes.
JM: What are you going to do with your wages
WM: Buy my sister some shoes
JM: That Peter Broadbent he's a clever player
WM: I know
JM: Peter Broadbent doesn't want your sister to have those shoes
WM Doesn't he
JM: Broadbent wants to take the ball off you so your sister doesn't have those shoes
WM (becoming visibly more upset and angry)
JM: Are you going to let Peter Broadbent stop your sister getting those shoes
WM: No No
JM:Then you make sure you get the ball so he can't stop your sister getting her shoes.

In the tunnel they are lined up ready to go on the pitch when the furious young Wilf McGuiness goes up to a bemused Peter Broadbent and shouts at him "You give me the ball you thieving bastard."

I cannot guarantee the words since I no longer have my copy and Matthews anyway recounts it as a story he was told.

No it doesn't.

I love the fact that I can stand, and change ends at half time.

Don't forget you're able to piss in the open air too!

Thought the drama was good. Even with the minor inaccuracies I still thought it is more likely to educate people on the events than the occasional brief reference by the press or Manure fans.

That wasn't supposed to be a true representation. It was a flashback that the coach was having about seeing the deceased players still being there. The pipe was to remind us thick viewers who it was supposed to be. If you kept looking the player with the pipe (and others) changed back into the 'current' team when the coaches memory was bought back to the present.

There was a story told in Stanley Matthews autobiography about Jimmy Murphy.

Wilf McGuiness was a particularly naive player even by those days and was due to make his debut against I think Wollves and their skilful inside forward Peter Broadbent.

You are correct
From Wiki
He played his first first-team match against Wolverhampton Wanderers on 8 October 1955, 17 days before his 18th birthday.

His record as ManU boss though was shocking in his second season (Season 1970-71), before Sir Matt took back over until the end of the Season when a certain Frank O'Farrell took over, as he only won 5 out of 23 League games.

Last edited:
I thought it was pretty decent, actually - but I remember wondering in a number of places just how accurate it was

Watchable, without being stunning - not bad for the BBC

I knew very little of the disaster before watching the show. What struck me was an English football team being in Germany about a decade after the 2nd world war.

Did life really go back to normal so quickly that we were happy to be playing football with them?

I knew very little of the disaster before watching the show. What struck me was an English football team being in Germany about a decade after the 2nd world war.

Did life really go back to normal so quickly that we were happy to be playing football with them?

If that surprises you, perhaps this will really amaze you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669