Upgrading laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M17TT C

Hi all, just wandering if anyone knows how easy it is to upgrade the CD drive of a laptop. I currently have a DVD/CD-RW combo drive in there but would like to upgrade this to a DVD+/- RW. I have been looking on the internet for a guide but am unable to find one, and also, looking at possible components, it never seems to say if its is compatable with my laptop.

If anyone can shed any extra light on this, it would be great, and if anyone knows of a good place to get one from that would be great too. So far the best I have found is on MicroDirect which is handy as I live in Manchester and thats where their headquaters are so i would be able to collect it from there.

Hi all, just wandering if anyone knows how easy it is to upgrade the CD drive of a laptop. I currently have a DVD/CD-RW combo drive in there but would like to upgrade this to a DVD+/- RW. I have been looking on the internet for a guide but am unable to find one, and also, looking at possible components, it never seems to say if its is compatable with my laptop.

If anyone can shed any extra light on this, it would be great, and if anyone knows of a good place to get one from that would be great too. So far the best I have found is on MicroDirect which is handy as I live in Manchester and thats where their headquaters are so i would be able to collect it from there.
Aria - Also in Manchester near the COM Stadium

Replacement drives for laptops are often specific to the individual manufacturer and therefore likely to be expensive. I would go along with Jeff and suggest an external drive.

yeah i seen your thread about it Scarby and was interesting, is it still working fine because i have herd that USB writters are not as good as an internal drive as the USB data speed is not as fast as as the data bus internally resulting in CDs/DVDs skipping. Is this true??

Also would prefer an internal drive because it will not require a seperate power supply and when running USB devices of the battery, the battery runs down very fast.

Or is it really hard to replace an internal laptop drive?? Has anyone done this before??

yeah i seen your thread about it Scarby and was interesting, is it still working fine because i have herd that USB writters are not as good as an internal drive as the USB data speed is not as fast as as the data bus internally resulting in CDs/DVDs skipping. Is this true??

Also would prefer an internal drive because it will not require a seperate power supply and when running USB devices of the battery, the battery runs down very fast.

Or is it really hard to replace an internal laptop drive?? Has anyone done this before??

Its not something youd want to do as a DIY job mate really, its doable, Ive done it but its often very complex to even get the case apart. Often means removing the keyboard which has very flimsy connectors and break easily. Its thesort of job you start and wish you never had 10 minutes in.

But what will fit in it??? Does it have to be specific to my Acer Aspire 1313LC or can it be any drive??

Depends on what sort of USB your laptop has. If it's USB 2.0 you should have no problem, older PCs which only have USB 1.1 will have problems.

But what will fit in it??? Does it have to be specific to my Acer Aspire 1313LC or can it be any drive??

The only way to find out really is to take it to bits and have a look at the exisiting drive, and then hunt for a similar part from the same manufacturer that will fit (acer wont have made the drive). Its a hell of a lot of hassle and could result in not finding a +/- replacement and having to put it all back together again (good luck). Incidentally, many manufacturers recommend laptops should only be opened up in a controlled environment free from static and dust etc.

Last edited:
ok sounds like ill sack off the internal one then, a bit of a mission. cheers for the info.

What about memory though?? Only got 256MB at the moment and that can't handle Football Manager and iTunes going at the same time!!
I opened up the memory bit before but forgot exactly what type it is, but if i get exactly the same type but 512MB, will i be able to have both of these installed as there are 2 bays or do they need to be from the same manufacturer?

ok sounds like ill sack off the internal one then, a bit of a mission. cheers for the info.

What about memory though?? Only got 256MB at the moment and that can't handle Football Manager and iTunes going at the same time!!
I opened up the memory bit before but forgot exactly what type it is, but if i get exactly the same type but 512MB, will i be able to have both of these installed as there are 2 bays or do they need to be from the same manufacturer?

Safest to check Acers site for their list of compatible memory, in theory any memory should work that of the right type but in truth laptops can be fussy. Best to check before you buy anything, failing any guidance from Acer buy a decent brand like Corsair as its more likely to work. If there are 2 free bays then depending on exactly how much RAM you want youd be best to sack the exisiting RAM and buy 2 1Gb sticks (again checking the bays will handle 1Gb sticks) We arent currently buying PC's with any less than 4Gb of RAM as standard.

Why not get an external USB discdrive, they are cheap as chips on ebay! and you can put your photos and what ever on that!

Have a look at Crucial, they have lots tools and info to help find the right memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669