Upgrading laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
cheers, sound info there mates.

as much as i would love to have 2GB of memory Duzza, theres a little obsticle (sp) called money and being a student i don't seem to have much of it. My laptop can take upto 2GB of memory (1 in each slot) so it is possible. Would you not recommend only adding another 512MB of RAM then, will this not speed up my machine and improve multi-tasking even though im i would be adding twice as much memory to what is already there.

When upgrading memory is it better to upgrade it in pairs, so either go for 2x 256MB or 2x 512MB. I'm sure someone correct me if this is a load of rubbish!

It shouldnt make any difference really LS6, it should be able to take a 512mb stick in slot 2.

When upgrading memory is it better to upgrade it in pairs, so either go for 2x 256MB or 2x 512MB. I'm sure someone correct me if this is a load of rubbish!

On some older systems it seems that it was important that memory be paired but that is not so now. Have you been to Crucial.com, as suggested earlier by Jeff? If you check the site, you will find that your laptop will take a maximum of 1024MB of RAM and that you do not need to install in pairs. There is also a routine which will scan your system and tell you exactly what kind of memory you need and suggest how much of it. Reasonable prices, as well.

On some older systems it seems that it was important that memory be paired but that is not so now. Have you been to Crucial.com, as suggested earlier by Jeff? If you check the site, you will find that your laptop will take a maximum of 1024MB of RAM and that you do not need to install in pairs. There is also a routine which will scan your system and tell you exactly what kind of memory you need and suggest how much of it. Reasonable prices, as well.

Yeah I have been on there and loads of other websites, and my laptop can take 2GB of memory, 1GB in each slot as i have the original specifications!! On www.crucial.com, it only lists the 1300 series in general, as mine was one of the later ones (1313LC) it has an increased spec compared to other 1300 models. What i wanted to know was that if I purchase some extra memory, will this work with the existing memory that is currently installed in my laptop!!??

A simple yes or no answer is all that is required!!! You can also explain your answer if you are that bored and/or have nothing better to do!! Cheers guys!!

Last edited:
Yeah I have been on there and loads of other websites, and my laptop can take 2GB of memory, 1GB in each slot as i have the original specifications!! On www.crucial.com, it only lists the 1300 series in general, as mine was one of the later ones (1313LC) it has an increased spec compared to other 1300 models. What i wanted to know was that if I purchase some extra memory, will this work with the existing memory that is currently installed in my laptop!!??

A simple yes or no answer is all that is required!!! You can also explain your answer if you are that bored and/or have nothing better to do!! Cheers guys!!

Yes

Sorry to bring this up again, but I am seriously thinking about buying some memory off ebay as it is a lot cheaper, but obviously have got a few concerns about doing so. For instance, what would happen if I bought the wrong memory and installed it, would it kill my laptop or just a waste of money??

One more question as well, does it matter what PC# it is? I think what is currently installed is PC2100, but what do I need to get, can I just get any PC#, is it like the higher the number the faster or something?

One more question as well, does it matter what PC# it is? I think what is currently installed is PC2100, but what do I need to get, can I just get any PC#, is it like the higher the number the faster or something?

Thats the ram speed, you need to use the same speed.

You dont have to use the same Ram speed, it will probably support up to PC3200. Its do do with the clock speed of the RAM. Higher is better.

Just ordered this off www.ebay.co.uk :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/512MB-PC2100-...ryZ80201QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Only 30 boyos, thats 10 quid cheaper than anywhere else I found on the net and 20 quid less than what I was going to pay in MicroDirect as the gypos did not have any in stock. Bit pissed that they didn't as I am itching to play the new Football Manager and my laptop can't really handle it at the moment :(

Will write back to say if it works and how much improvement there is in performance. Thanks to all that have given advice to me on this subject :thumbs_up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669