Urban myth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

From Gradel to Grave

I was told today that the instructions given to air passengers to put their heads between their knees was to hasten their demise in the event of a crash. Something to do with the back or neck.

This sounds spurious to me to say the least. Has anyone heard the same or is in a position to prove/disprove it.

im pretty sure its just to reduce the impact so not true

:icon_lol::icon_lol:Im not laughing directly at you scarbs but the thought that sticking your head between your legs whilst hurtling toward the ground from 35000 feet will some how "lessen the impact.":icon_lol::icon_lol:

I have heard somewhere that the position makes it more likely for the mouth area to be protected and aid the use of dental records to identify the dead.

Codswollop if you ask me.

:icon_lol::icon_lol:Im not laughing directly at you scarbs but the thought that sticking your head between your legs whilst hurtling toward the ground from 35000 feet will some how "lessen the impact.":icon_lol::icon_lol:
:icon_bigg:icon_bigg:icon_bigg:icon_bigg
Also putting on a good film could help, people would be unaware of what was happening.

I was told today that the instructions given to air passengers to put their heads between their knees was to hasten their demise in the event of a crash. Something to do with the back or neck.

Bloody hell. What are you on :102: :icon_wink

I was told it was the most efficient position for kissing your arse goodbye.

No but seriously G2G come on ffs, I had you down as one of our more intelligent posters.

Disregarding the obvious smell of bullshit, when was the last time you were on a plane and were advised to put your head between your knees in the event of a crash?

your body is in a more solid position, your head is protected and due to the position there is less surface area on show to be damaged

Somebody take the spade off of Scarby, he doesn't know when to stop digging.
Less surface area, for ****sake! :icon_lol:

You forgot to mention that your spine is also bent and will be more likely to snap, killing you instantly.......just before you are reduced to your constituent parts by the force of the impact

No but seriously G2G come on ffs, I had you down as one of our more intelligent posters.

Disregarding the obvious smell of bullshit, when was the last time you were on a plane and were advised to put your head between your knees in the event of a crash?

More fool you!:icon_bigg

I think the best position to adopt when plunging to certain death is missionary with a sterwardess. I'm sure she'd agree. :icon_wink

I think I'm right in saying that the majority of people who have been involved in air accidents through aviation history, have survived.

As a result, a protective 'brace' position seems to be perfectly sensible to minimise the chances of receiving a head injury and trying to protect the neck/back. Likewise, the life jacket, whistle etc due to the reasonable chance of ditching in water.

If it's a no-hoper, hurtle to your death at 500 mph kind of situation, your teeth will fare little better than the rest of you. Identification by dental records would be highly unlikely to be possible regardless of your bodies position at the point of impact.

it would certainly reduce the chance of whiplash in a minor incident

i think there's an element of pschology here too, if people are doing as they're told...then things are ok and everyone knows what's going on right? RIGHT?!

also, if everyone faces down, you can't hear them screaming...;)

I think it's simply a way of reassuring passengers that yes, it is their own shit they can smell.

It's only a comfort thing, they say it to reassure passengers that should they hit the floor at 200 mph from 35,000 feet, that if they lean forward it wont hurt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566