Virgin Media Account Numbers & Stolen Items

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew

So i just got an email bounce to me that someone has used my ipod that was stolen back in September.

I have their Virgin Media account number as it was tagged in the delivery header.

Are these traceable?

So i just got an email bounce to me that someone has used my ipod that was stolen back in September.

I have their Virgin Media account number as it was tagged in the delivery header.

Are these traceable?

Virgin Media will know whose account it is, but they're unlikely to tell you.
Did you report the iPod theft?

Yea, i reported it back at the time of the car theft.

I have a police officer coming to see me on Monday to take a statement. I was wondering more if Virgin would give that info up to the Police or not.

Yea, i reported it back at the time of the car theft.

I have a police officer coming to see me on Monday to take a statement. I was wondering more if Virgin would give that info up to the Police or not.

Would they have any choice?

Surely they're obstructing a police investigation (in the unlikely event that there is such a thing going on)?

I'm not saying that they wouldn't, just can't see that they'd be under any obligation to share information. I'd imagine that they have some form of arrangement in place for circumstances like this, but it wouldn't be straightforward. The Data Protection Act might cause problems as well.

I'm not saying that they wouldn't, just can't see that they'd be under any obligation to share information. I'd imagine that they have some form of arrangement in place for circumstances like this, but it wouldn't be straightforward. The Data Protection Act might cause problems as well.

if virgin are unwillig they can apply for a warrant

Can you see that happening.... in my opinion the police will do nothing having had experience with them recently.

I have a cardboard cop coming to see me tomorrow hopefully.

I'd be astonished if it was legal for a telecom company to obstruct the police from finding out who's using stolen goods.

I'd be astonished if it was legal for a telecom company to obstruct the police from finding out who's using stolen goods.

I'd be even more astonished if it was legal for the police to contact a telecom company and demand personal information held on their computer system.

Can you see that happening.... in my opinion the police will do nothing having had experience with them recently.

I have a cardboard cop coming to see me tomorrow hopefully.

I suspect their attitude may be different now that they may have a chance of catching someone. In my experience (after one particular burglary, a related case of trying to flog off the loot, and a mugging my daughter witnessed) when Plod thinks a conviction is possible, they can be very active and efficient.

ffs, where has it all gone wrong? surely virgin would be offering the police the info rather than worrying about the rights of a potential thief. I despair, i really do.

They can sell the details on to everest or sky or however is doing a mailshot campaign, but when legality comes in to it the rights of the individual suddenly become an issue.

Last edited:
ffs, where has it all gone wrong? surely virgin would be offering the police the info rather than worrying about the rights of a potential thief. I despair, i really do.

They can sell the details on to everest or sky or however is doing a mailshot campaign, but when legality comes in to it the rights of the individual suddenly become an issue.

Ooooooor, people were just speculating on what they think might be the case and that rent was a little bit Daily Mail overreaction? :icon_lol:

it was a bit wasn't it...

and don't get me started on the asylum seekers...

what happened drew? have plod visited yet?

any company has to give up any information requested by the police

(i think)

any company has to give up any information requested by the police

(i think)

It would be more accurate to say that any company may be required to give up any information requested by the police. They have no absolute right to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669