Virgin media broadband

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cate Fox

I have virgin broadband, but at the moment I have to plug into the modem (if thats the right word) and would like to go wireless. I dont want to give VM £60 for a router (again is this the right word?! I am so not techy :icon_lol:) so can anyone advise what I could do to get round this??

Buy a wireless router. Make sure it is suitable for a cable connection though and not ADSL. Amazon

EDIT - Something like this though I'm sure you could probably find a better or more cost effective solution, that was just the first result from Google to give you an idea.

EDIT2 - Can't create a link for some reason but copy and paste this for an example:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-WGR614UK-Wireless-Cable-Router/dp/B0000C1WO2

Last edited by a moderator:
I have virgin broadband, but at the moment I have to plug into the modem (if thats the right word) and would like to go wireless. I dont want to give VM £60 for a router (again is this the right word?! I am so not techy :icon_lol:) so can anyone advise what I could do to get round this??

I brought a belkin one from tesco,it was about £30 but if you have ebay look on thier,my brother picked one up for £15 :icon_bigg

The router needs to be suitable to connect into the virgin media cable, which is not the same as standard cables...

Virgin Media is a 'cable' broadband connection whereas the crap that comes through your phone line is an ADSL. These are the two main types of connection available in the UK so you either need a cable or ADSL router depending on your provider.

Given yours is Virgin, you need a 'cable' wireless router.

Re: Virgin media broadband modem

The router needs to be suitable to connect into the virgin media cable, which is not the same as standard cables...

You just need to buy a wireless router that has an Ethernet input.

Most routers will have four Ethernet output connections plus an RJ11 input from a phone line, you need to make sure that the router you buy has an Ethernet input.

There's an apparent theme in this post related to Ethernet input.

Virgin Media is a 'cable' broadband connection whereas the crap that comes through your phone line is an ADSL. These are the two main types of connection available in the UK so you either need a cable or ADSL router depending on your provider.

Given yours is Virgin, you need a 'cable' wireless router.

The router will not care what type of modem it is, just that it has an Ethernet input.

Yeah but that's getting a bit geeky. You basically buy either a Cable or ADSL router.

+1 for looking good on the interwebs though - EPIC!!

Yeah but that's getting a bit geeky. You basically buy either a Cable or ADSL router.

It isn't specifically a cable router though, such a thing doesn't exist, and it isn't geeky at all, it's only an Ethernet connection, people use them every day. If and when Cate buys herself a router, that's the key bit of information that she needs to be aware of.

+1 for helping somebody on the interwebs though - EPIC!!

Calm yourself, it isn't that rare

It isn't specifically a cable router though, such a thing doesn't exist, and it isn't geeky at all, it's only an Ethernet connection, people use them every day. If and when Cate buys herself a router, that's the key bit of information that she needs to be aware of.

sooooooo....confused..... do I buy a wireless router and then connect it to my modem with an ethernet cable (via the sofa) - is that what you're saying? :icon_lol:

sooooooo....confused..... do I buy a wireless router and then connect it to my modem with an ethernet cable (via the sofa) - is that what you're saying? :icon_lol:

That's what I did, Cate. I played safe and spent the £40 for one of theirs though - it just got added on to my next bill.

I'm sure that Cate gets her VM broadband via cable. But there are others, including me, who get VM broadband over a BT line. It would be as well to be certain which it is before giving advice on what kind of modem is needed.

I get my VM broadband via cable and as far as I am aware you can only attach certain routers/modems to this cable (which is a pain)

Like you, I was really confused about what to get and how it all worked. It didn't help that I didn't know anybody else with VM who had a wireless router - all my friends had different set ups and couldn't get their heads around how VM worked.

Another good thing (for me) from buying direct from them, was that it came with a disc that made the whole set up a doddle. I usually discard software that comes with new products as the general advice is that they're full of rubbish, but this guided you through the whole set up procedure and I was up and running in a few minutes.

Like you, I was really confused about what to get and how it all worked. It didn't help that I didn't know anybody else with VM who had a wireless router - all my friends had different set ups and couldn't get their heads around how VM worked.

Another good thing (for me) from buying direct from them, was that it came with a disc that made the whole set up a doddle. I usually discard software that comes with new products as the general advice is that they're full of rubbish, but this guided you through the whole set up procedure and I was up and running in a few minutes.

as much as I dont want to, I'll probably have to end up buying it from them - I just resent doing this as they give them to new customers for free! Mind you, its the same as every company these days, treat the newbies well and crap on the existing customers.

as much as I dont want to, I'll probably have to end up buying it from them - I just resent doing this as they give them to new customers for free! Mind you, its the same as every company these days, treat the newbies well and crap on the existing customers.

Ring Customer Services and ask for retentions. It might not work as they will know that your options are limited but it's worth a try.

I get my VM broadband via cable and as far as I am aware you can only attach certain routers/modems to this cable (which is a pain)

A cable router doesn't have a modem built in because Virgin supply you with one of their own.

It is just a router you need rather than a modem/router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566