Waghorn bid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/EXCLUSIVE-Sunderland-striker-in-demand.6502000.jp

Leicester City will test Sunderland's resolve to hang on to young prospect Martyn Waghorn by re-tabling a £2million offer ahead of tomorrow's transfer deadline.
Steve Bruce made clear at the end of last season that youngsters like Waghorn, along with fellow Academy products Jack Colback and Jordan Henderson, would form an important part of his squad this campaign.

And he insisted they were not for sale and would not be going out on loan again.

But the Foxes, struggling at the wrong end of the Championship, are hoping to exploit Sunderland's need to raise money to pursue an interest in Rennes striker Asamoah Gyan and will make it clear that the £2m offer made months ago for the youngster remains on offer.

Black Cats chairman Niall Quinn was in France on Saturday, unsuccessfully trying to broker a dealfor the Ghanaian international.

And with Ellis Short still to sanction any moves for either of Bruce's targets – Wigan winger Charles N'Zogbia or Gyan – Leicester will hope Sunderland sacrifice Waghorn in order to raise money for either player.

It's a far cry from Short's early days in control of the club when the American's cheque book was opened regularly and generously.

Bruce's transfer requests are no greater than those of his predecessor, Roy Keane.

Less than £20m would buy both players and Short has previously backed much larger spending sprees.

But the American is believed to be pushing a more prudent approach and wants the manager to spend only money that he receives from transfers.

Bruce is in surplus so far, with the £8m sale of Kenwyne Jones, £5m transfer of Lorik Cana and £1.5m sale of Daryl Murphy, not to mention the £1.5m final instalment on the Michael Chopra transfer fee deal all coming in.

But unless the purse strings are loosened, he will not be able to bring in either Gyan or N'Zogbia and Leicester will hope Sunderland's difficulty will be their opportunity.

The Black Cats are prepared to let George McCartney, Teemu Tainio, David Healy, Anton Ferdinand and Phil Bardsley leave the club.

But there are no takers for any, while Waghorn is a saleable asset.

It could be a difficult choice for Sunderland.

But Leicester will have been dismayed yesterday to see Fraizer Campbell stretchered off during Sunderland's 1-0 win over Manchester City. The loss of Campbell leaves Sunderland with only three strikers at their disposal – Darren Bent, Danny Welbeck and Waghorn.

Probably about the only signing that would appease the hoards of morons in our crowd when fatty fryup gets sold.

I'd be disappointed if we swapped Fryatt for Waghorn tbh.

Same.... but I'd be happy if we had both!

And if we do lose Fryatt, I'd rather have Waggy than DJ.

I don't think we'll get him though

Last edited:
I think Waghorn has a lot of potential but still feel £2million is a bit of a gamble on him. Sees to do the difficult things well but forgets to do the simple things like playing the ball instead of the man. Though if we sign him it will make a lot of fans happy.

Last edited:
I think that people are questioning the price.
A little over the odds, but tbh 2 million for a player of that potential who will grab at least 12 goals isn't that over the odds in the current market.

However will Waggy really want to come back if he heres about Sousa from the other players etc?

It's a positive move. Wagg 'n' Fry.

Happy people = good results = up the league we go.

Dead easy really.

2 Million for Waghorn is far too much, he was impressive last season but he is not worth that much in my opinion, I imagine you could get Healy for 1 million.

Would love it to happen but I dont think Bruce would let him go. Get him back on loan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669