Waghorn over Fryatt any day

Status
Not open for further replies.
He must have been quite a player. It reminds me of Brian Clough's comment in the 1980s when asked to compare John Barnes and Tom Finney - "About the same but then Tom Finney is about 70."

We have had some great wingers in our history but sadly none since Steve Guppy. However, I did enjoy some of Lloyd Dyer's wing play in League One.

I thought Guppy was an ok winger - but too many obvious limitations (for one thing I don't think he could 'beat' a defender) to be called "great" even at club level. He was very fortunate to get capped by England.

Whilst I have watched City, I would describe the following wingers as "great" at our club's level : Mal Griffiths, Lennie Glover and Keith Weller.

Jackie Sinclair was also very good for a couple of years and the very fast and direct Howard Riley had his moments.

I would like to see someone defend Fryatts role when the opposition have the ball which is lazy to say the least. I would like to see him put himself about abit, which is something i never see him do. He is good but his influence on the game is not as great as it could be if he were to pull his finger out when Leicester are not on the ball.

Waghorn on the other hand loves to hunt the ball and make something out of nothing. He doesn't need everything to be handed to him. Waghorn brings others into play through his endeavours.

This is why i feel Waghorn should be given a chance from the start against Derby and give Fryatt the substitute role. This way Fryatt will still get his chance to shine. It would be interesting to see Waghorn for a longer period because he does deserve it, not just for his goal against cov. At the end of the day i have massive respect for NP and will accept any decision forthcoming from him.

Last edited:
Was that not Bill Shankly?

Shankly played with Finney at Preston, didn't he?

Wikipedia has the quote as being Shankly but does not mention John Barnes just "a modern player".

I am sure Brian Clough used the line in a video in which he picked the greatest ever England team specifically about John Barnes. However, he may have nicked the idea from Shankly.

Shankley would not have used it about John Barnes since he died in 1981 long before John Barnes prime. I will admit to having adapted it myself about two other people and guess Cloughie did the same.

We have come a long way on this thread from Martyn Waghorn to Tom Finney.

I would like to see someone defend Fryatts role when the opposition have the ball which is lazy to say the least. I would like to see him put himself about abit, which is something i never see him do. He is good but his influence on the game is not as great as it could be if he were to pull his finger out when Leicester are not on the ball.

Waghorn on the other hand loves to hunt the ball and make something out of nothing. He doesn't need everything to be handed to him. Waghorn brings others into play through his endeavours.

This is why i feel Waghorn should be given a chance from the start against Derby and give Fryatt the substitute role. This way Fryatt will still get his chance to shine. It would be interesting to see Waghorn for a longer period because he does deserve it, not just for his goal against cov. At the end of the day i have massive respect for NP and will accept any decision forthcoming from him.

Players who can score plenty of goals are gold dust.

Down the years everytime we have had a prolific goal scorer some people have moaned that he is "selfish" or "misses more than he scores" etc etc. Fryatt isn't a Jimmy Greaves nor is he going to challenge Rowley's or Chandler's records - but he is a major asset and I don't think there is currently any difficult choice to be made here on selection.

Players who can score plenty of goals are gold dust.

Down the years everytime we have had a prolific goal scorer some people have moaned that he is "selfish" or "misses more than he scores" etc etc. Fryatt isn't a Jimmy Greaves nor is he going to challenge Rowley's or Chandler's records - but he is a major asset and I don't think there is currently any difficult choice to be made here on selection.

Nail on head!

That Lineker was a lazy bugger as well, never once made a tackle in his career.

Yeah, I wouldn't call Fryatt lazy, for one thing, who says NP hasn't instructed him not to track back, so he is always available up front? :102:

That Lineker was a lazy bugger as well, never once made a tackle in his career.

The two are incomparible to be honest, I very much doubt Fryatt will have anywhere near the career Lineker had. Your just floating names around, anyone can do that.

The two are incomparible to be honest, I very much doubt Fryatt will have anywhere near the career Lineker had. Your just floating names around, anyone can do that.

And anyone can post random stuff they know to be bollocks just to provoke a nonsensical discussion about a ludicrous idea. Like you do.

In fact, let me try it:

Leicester should sack Nigel Pearson immediately and bring in Eric Black. Discuss.

Players often play the way they are told to. People who complain that Fryatt does not tackle back should know that I have heard Nigel calling to Matty to stay up in a number of matches. This has been especially true at corners. I have never seen Nigel show displeasure at anything Matty has done unlike some other players.

Players often play the way they are told to. People who complain that Fryatt does not tackle back should know that I have heard Nigel calling to Matty to stay up in a number of matches. This has been especially true at corners. I have never seen Nigel show displeasure at anything Matty has done unlike some other players.

I have no problem with Fryatt not tracking back, it's when in the opponents half when they have the ball that he doesn't make an effort to win the ball.

And anyone can post random stuff they know to be bollocks just to provoke a nonsensical discussion about a ludicrous idea. Like you do.

In fact, let me try it:

Leicester should sack Nigel Pearson immediately and bring in Eric Black. Discuss.

The Black argument certainly holds water here Stateside. Just today I had to break up a serious discussion at work over whether or not Eric Black should supplant Pearson.

I'm on the fence myself.

Americans know nothing about football, shouldn't you be on an NFL forum or some other disgraceful sport created by that horrible country.

Americans know nothing about football, shouldn't you be on an NFL forum or some other disgraceful sport created by that horrible country.

Insightful, well-researched, biting, witty, profoundly moving, rational, measured, thought-provoking and frankly devastating.

All things that comment isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670