Pre Match Watford v Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve never been to Watford and I’m not going on Saturday. Is it a good day out for a game? Might put it on my list for a visit one day, if so.

I’ve never been to Watford and I’m not going on Saturday. Is it a good day out for a game? Might put it on my list for a visit one day, if so.
Watford is a decent match day out. The stadium is old and crappy, but I think that's quite charming nowadays. Not much going on there, though I have been out on the lash there once before and it was good fun. Watford itself is quite old looking, bit of a blast from the past high street, it feels like the 80s/90s. A bit shit but with the right people (and result) you'll have a solid time. If you like golf there are some cracking courses nearby.

Watford is a decent match day out. The stadium is old and crappy, but I think that's quite charming nowadays. Not much going on there, though I have been out on the lash there once before and it was good fun. Watford itself is quite old looking, bit of a blast from the past high street, it feels like the 80s/90s. A bit shit but with the right people (and result) you'll have a solid time. If you like golf there are some cracking courses nearby.
I’ve stayed at The Grove, which was nice, but not really representative of Watford, I’d guess. I’m on about for a day out at the football though, so what you say does appeal to me thanks.

I’ve never been to Watford and I’m not going on Saturday.
I went to our game at Watford a week after the Hillsborough disaster. There had been speculation that the weekend's programme might be postponed as a mark of respect but in the event it went ahead - it was probably too near the end of the season for such a huge number of games to be rearranged. It was a peculiar afternoon with a most sombre atmosphere. We lost but I don't think anybody cared.
Every visit to Watford since has been a reminder and, until relatively recently, the walk round the allotments to the away entrance has given plenty of time for sober remembrance. We've had a couple of very high profile games at Vicarage Road since then but I don't think anything will ever take away the feeling of that match almost 35 years ago.

But to answer your specific question, no, it's a shit ground with shit fans in a shit town with shit pubs. The parking is awful and Watford Junction station is miles away. But put it in your list; it's got to be done.

I’ve been to Watford. Think they may have been developing a part of the ground when I went.

Unique ground, bit of a dump but has its charms.

I’ve been to Watford. Think they may have been developing a part of the ground when I went.

Unique ground, bit of a dump but has its charms.
I feel like there was a closed stand during at least one of my trips to Watford. I’ve been three or maybe four times. Loads of goals. Wandered around the town centre with boc once. I forget why but Bernie was there. The 3-3 with N’Guessan’s late headed equaliser sticks in the brain.

I like it. It’s one of those shitholes with character.

Watford is a shitheap. Full of mouthy ****s who like to pretend they're from London.

Parts of it also seem to serve as a semi-retirement home for fat old skinheads.

Some old twat in one of the pubs will tell you his dad worked for the Krays. He's ****ing lying.

The ground itself is a throwback to the era when all grounds were the same apart from the size, the quality of the pies & whether the main stand was about to fall down or not.

Good fun to be had though, simply by bringing up THAT play-off game...& congratulating them on beating what a couple of years later would become the most famous football team in the world. Surely the proudest day in their history. They love that.

I think he'll start Choudhury as he likes to do that sort of thing e.g. Choudhury started against Watford at home and Souttar was picked against Stoke out of nowhere.

Hermansen
Nelson Faes Doyle
Choudhury Winks
Fatawu McAteer Dewsbury-Hall Mavidii
Daka

I wouldn’t try McAteer in the middle again - he was truly dreadful - and Doyle definitely needs to continue on a run of matches as he’s starting to look the part after that injury

Yunus in the middle, if fit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570