Webcams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melton Fox

Dancing Queen
Don't know anything about them, but the obvious.

What should I look for when buying one?

Do you need two compatible ones when talking to somebody or what?

Thanks.

Don't know anything about them, but the obvious.

What should I look for when buying one?

Do you need two compatible ones when talking to somebody or what?

Thanks.

No, the software that you're both using takes care of that.

The more you spend, the better the quality of the image. More pixels & higher frame rate will give better results.

No, the software that you're both using takes care of that.

The more you spend, the better the quality of the image. More pixels & higher frame rate will give better results.
thank you.

I was thinking on the region of £30, will that get me something decent? I can only presume so, because most of the ones I see are around £20 tops.

Do headsets follow the same rule of thumb ref cost?

You starting to do shows then? you dirty little man!

thank you.

I was thinking on the region of £30, will that get me something decent? I can only presume so, because most of the ones I see are around £20 tops.

You'll get a decent one for £30, as you say, they're as cheap as f*ck these days

Do headsets follow the same rule of thumb ref cost?

Not as much, you can get excellent results without spending a lot.

Ive just bought a dozen Microsoft vx5000's seem excellent. Includes a built in mic which is useful. take literally 10 seconds to setup.

If you get one my advice is to not even take the CD out of the packet, installs loads of crap and takes ages. Just plug it in and away you go.

Ive just bought a dozen Microsoft vx5000's seem excellent. Includes a built in mic which is useful. take literally 10 seconds to setup.

If you get one my advice is to not even take the CD out of the packet, installs loads of crap and takes ages. Just plug it in and away you go.
Cool, thank you.

It's also very important that I have sound through headphones and not the speaker system. Is this possible with a built in mic on the webcam?

Cool, thank you.

It's also very important that I have sound through headphones and not the speaker system. Is this possible with a built in mic on the webcam?

The mic is for 'sound out'. You will retain your choice of whether to use your computer's speaker system or head/earphones for 'sound in'.

And I second what Durham says about the CD that will come with your webcam; don't even bother to bring it home from the shop - open the box at the checkout and ask them to put it straight in their bin.

The mic is for 'sound out'. You will retain your choice of whether to use your computer's speaker system or head/earphones for 'sound in'.

Close, but no Mars bar Bob, the mic is in, the speakers out.

Better off using headphones not speakers if you're using it to message somebody or you'll get echo & feedback off the speakers

Close, but no Mars bar Bob, the mic is in, the speakers out.

eeerrr... I was referring to sound that Melts would be sending out and sound he would be receiving in.

That's my excuse and I am sticking to it!

If I use a webcam with a built in mic, and I use a headset with a built in mic, which will pick up the sound?

I want a headset with a built in mic, because sometimes I won't want the webcam on.

As I said, the sound coming from my pc is a no no, it must be through a head set.

If I use a webcam with a built in mic, and I use a headset with a built in mic, which will pick up the sound?

I want a headset with a built in mic, because sometimes I won't want the webcam on.

As I said, the sound coming from my pc is a no no, it must be through a head set.

If you always want to use a headset with a mic, don't buy a cam with a mic.

There will be no problem of the sound coming out of the computer speakers; they will be switched off by the act of you plugging the headset in.

If you always want to use a headset with a mic, don't buy a cam with a mic.

There will be no problem of the sound coming out of the computer speakers; they will be switched off by the act of you plugging the headset in.
That is the avenue I was sort of expecting to go down.

If I buy a headset with a mic, would it go in the mic or headphones socket?

That is the avenue I was sort of expecting to go down.

If I buy a headset with a mic, would it go in the mic or headphones socket?

It would have a jack for each of them.

Last edited:

You can easily disable the mic on them via the device manager. The vx3000 is the model without a mic though which ive also found to be very good.

You can easily disable the mic on them via the device manager. The vx3000 is the model without a mic though which ive also found to be very good.
Thank you. If there's not much price difference I'll buy the one with the mic and then disable it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566