Speculation Wellens Back Out on Loan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJN-Fox

From the East Anglian Daily Times ...

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich...s_richie_wellens_set_for_loan_spell_1_1804462

Leicester City’s Richie Wellens set for loan spell

FIVE Championship clubs are chasing former Ipswich Town loanee Richie Wellens, but we understand Ipswich Town are not one of them.

Wellens made seven appearances for Town earlier in the season but suffered an injury setback on his return to parent club, Leicester City, in mid-November.

Town are the lowest goalscorers in the Championship, with just 28 netted scored this season, and Wellens’ creativity would fit the bill at Portman Road.

Despite having another year to run on his deal with the Foxes, the former Doncaster Rovers schemer is available for a temporary switch away from Leicester until the end of the current campaign, with his chances limited at the King Power Stadium.

A source close to Wellens revealed the midfielder was weighing up his options and is likely to make a decision in the next couple of days, but revealed that Town had not been in contact with the player.

Speaking to the EADT and Ipswich Star shortly after the end of his first loan spell, Wellens said: “I had a conversation with Mick (McCarthy) before his first game. He said he wanted to extend my stay, but I wasn’t that keen at that stage if I’m being honest.

“A lot has changed over the last three games though, everyone has responded really well to Mick, the team looks a lot harder to beat and two wins from three has got the club going in the right direction.

“There is a feeling that everything is starting to come together a little bit. And if I’m not going to be in the team at Leicester then I wouldn’t think twice about coming back to Ipswich.”

Meanwhile, Elliott Hewitt has been called up to the Wales under-21s squad for a friendly against Iceland next month.

Last edited:
Says a lot really that Ipswich don't want him back. IMO we should just sell him, and we could possibly get a decent, younger player in his position for the money.

Says a lot really that Ipswich don't want him back. IMO we should just sell him, and we could possibly get a decent, younger player in his position for the money.

I'm sure people must be queuing up to buy him but we want to hold on to him in case he realises his potential.

More likely that if he is to go on a "to end of season loan", that he wants it to be a more Northern based club and not on the East Coast which is even further away from his home than LCFC is

1 in, 1 out.

Doesn't matter who else we already have, we're doomed if we don't.

I see. So we're doomed if we fail to replace someone who hasn't been anywhere near the first team all season..

I'm so glad that's all cleared up.

We can only sell him if someone else will buy him. I expect his current wages are too high for any of the clubs that might want him.

The Sven legacy.. It made little sense at the time offering Wellens, Gallagher and King improved contract extensions.. he knew how to flush the Ca$h.

It would be very damaging to our style of play to have Wellens back in the team IMO, slowing everything down.

Nobody will want him now he is cup-tied, unless they have already been knocked out of course!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566