Wellens to Brum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blues weigh up Wellens move
McLeish keen on Foxes midfielder

Blues weigh up Wellens move

Skysports.com understands Birmingham are lining up a move for Leicester City star Richie Wellens.

Wellens has enjoyed a fine season with Leicester this term and he impressed last weekend with a man-of-the-match performance against Manchester City in their FA Cup clash.

The classy midfielder came through the ranks at Manchester United before moving on to Blackpool after failing to establish himself at Old Trafford.

The 30-year-old has won himself a reputation as one of the best talents outside the top flight and his performances have courted interest from a number of clubs in the Premier League over the years.

Birmingham are believed to have held a long-term interest in Wellens with Blues manager Alex McLeish a big admirer of the attacking midfielder.

McLeish is keen to bolster his midfield options in this month's transfer window and he has been linked with the likes of Blackpool's Charlie Adam.

However, Wellens could be a more attractive option for McLeish as he could be available for a cut-price fee with the player having just 18 months to run on his current contract.

Leicester would be reluctant to lose Wellens, but they would find it hard to keep the player if the chance of a move to the Premier League came about.

Last edited:
for me, Wellens has recently shown a lot of good form and at this stage it would be shit if he left, especially as him and King/Yuki seem to be forming a good 3-man midfield partnership...

He's not going IMO. He's happy here and I would be tempted to suggest he'd carry on getting more first-team football here- in with the chance to know he's got us into the prem rather than just being there by default. I also can't imagine that Birmingham would pay higher wages to the extent that he'd leave us.

He was actually wanted by them when we signed him.

Can't see them signing him when they have probably the best centre midfield options in the lower part of the Premiership and he's 31/32, hardly blessed with pace.

Last edited:
Always struck me as the sort of guy who would leg it to the premier at the slightest chance. If he did fair enough, get a good fee and move on.

So long as the money isn't used to fund another massive loan for someone. Otherwise we'll be on the slippery slope of selling off the family silver to pay for loans, which you are left with nothing at the end of.

Morrison funds naughton, fryatt funds Yakubu... two assets gone and nothing to show for it come the summer.

Always struck me as the sort of guy who would leg it to the premier at the slightest chance. If he did fair enough, get a good fee and move on.

So long as the money isn't used to fund another massive loan for someone. Otherw*s* we'll be on the slippery slope of selling off the family silver to pay for loans, which you are left with nothing at the end of.

Morrison funds naughton, fryatt funds Yakubu... two assets gone and nothing to show for it come the summer.

Or Morrison funds Bamba

plus i love how cocky he is and will miss him for that...

I'm not surprised he caught the they of a Premier League Club after that display against Man City.

I wouldn't hold it against him if he fancied a crack at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566