Wes Morgan to retire

Status
Not open for further replies.
God I love him. Dusty in here.

Might have to crack open my special “Wes” edition of Captain Morgan’s tonight.
I'm saving mine for when we win the champions league.

A friend bought me back a Cuban cigar about 10 years ago which I very jokingly said I will smoke when we win the PL, fully expecting us never to win it!

Joke was firmly on me and my lungs though as I can't stand cigars but was well worth it for winning the league.

The Captain Wes Morgans will be drank in one sitting when we win the CL.

The tributes truly are worth listening to. Incredibly moving, you can tell how much Wes meant to the players. Nothing from Youri (I'm sure there's a good reason) but as you'd expect the most heartfelt come from those that have shared more with him (Kasper, Fuchs, Vardy, Albrighton) Ndidi's just cool, so cool. Kelechi is what we've come to know him to be. Even Cags rustles up some words in English. A team effort.

Last edited:
There is no way on earth that anyone could have predicted what would happen to him and the club when he signed.

Truly fantastic story. You could not make it up.

Thank you Wes. You are a LCFC legend.

Wes will combine his work with the Club with his role as a member of the PFA Players’ Board, to which he was elected earlier this year.
Can you be on the PFA players’ board if you are no longer a player?

"A dreadful clodhopping oaf of a player

If we sign him it's time to pack the whole thing in altogether
"

Or something like that. Another great thread for the ages:
When they build his statue I'm wondering what the plaque will say.

" Dreadful clodhopping oaf " ?

" Fat useless clogger of the highest order " ?

Personally I'd go with the more succinct " Fat useless lump "

Tbh I was dreading reading that thread as I was sure I'd find my own comment somewhere saying something embarrassing. It was with relief that I discovered I hadn't commented at all (phew)

As I remember though, it was only because I thought it was such an unremarkable & pointless signing it wasn't worth commenting on. He'd be here for 18 months, play 20 games & be moved on to Crewe for £100K

Now I'm looking forward to telling my grandchildren I remember him as a player as we watch him do half-time presentations. Same as I did about Birch to the kids.

Funny old game innit?

Happy retirement Wes.

( PS - it took me a full minute to remember who " SSL " was !! - it really was a different world )

Last edited:
When they build his statue I'm wondering what the plaque will say.

" Dreadful clodhopping oaf " ?

" Fat useless clogger of the highest order " ?

Personally I'd go with the more succinct " Fat useless lump "

Tbh I was dreading reading that thread as I was sure I'd find my own comment somewhere saying something embarrassing. It was with relief that I discovered I hadn't commented at all (phew)

As I remember though, it was only because I thought it was such an unremarkable & pointless signing it wasn't worth commenting on. He'd be here for 18 months, play 20 games & be moved on to Crewe for £100K

Now I'm looking forward to telling my grandchildren I remember him as a player as we watch him do half-time presentations. Same as I did about Birch to the kids.

Funny old game innit?

Happy retirement Wes.

( PS - it took me a full minute to remember who " SSL " was !! - it really was a different world )

I don't think he was much more than a meh signing....at that time given what we knew about him. Was a good enough defender but not someone we'd be fighting Prem teams for. I'd be amazed if Wes is less surprised than us at how good he turned out to be.

I was really surprised when he was signed, a player I'd never heard of and it seemed like a lot of money for someone of his age who appeared to have no previous "pedigree." Turned out OK in the end I suppose.

I've never been so excited to say Thank You.

Thank You Wes, a leader on and off the pitch. An enigma. A boss. A big brother. A Juggernaut. A Leicester City legend.

Best of luck with whatever you do going forward!!

I’d like to claim I was right about this one, I’d wanted us to sign him for a while because I thought he’d be good. But I was wrong, he was much better than that.

All the best Big Wes.

So many of us have at some point in their life wanted to be a footballer. A real top league footballer.
Most of us wanted to be a Jamie Vardy. I used to want to be Peter Shilton.

Nowadays I want to be Wes Morgan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469