20 Cardiff 37 -3 41
21 Coventry 38 -14 41
22 Gillingham 38 -20 41
23 Nottm Forest 37 -18 37
24 Rotherham 38 -28 25

taken from bbc

Leigh

Innocent said:
And can I say, although I may be alone in this, that the addition of Stewart (I've watched him, and loved him, from when he was 16) inspired the entire team. I know that many supporters hate him, but although he is annoyingly inconsistent,and over-eggs the pudding, he can be a real flair player, at his best. It's a bit of a disaster that his shoulder has gone again.

I think it showed in one moment especially how much we've missed him on the left, when he took the ball past a player and ran it to the corner flag (had no support though), that was the first time in the whole match when we'd actually done anything on the left...Tiatto drifts inside all the time (even when he plays with Stewart) and Maybury doesn't attack when he plays left-back so for most of the match we were either sending it to Gillespie or putting balls over the top and it became a bit predictable.

That said we were the better side for much of the 1st half, Gillespie's goal was wonderful (and to think that before Tuesday it looked like we wouldn't even have 1 contender for Goal of the Month!), Hughes was FANTASTIC (although he seemed to tire towards the end of the match, as they all did) and McCarthy was very impressive. I can't believe their goalie wasn't sent off, and Dabizas was as to me its basically the same offence....in fact McCarthy was behind Dabizas and might have saved the ball anyway with his boot... Their first goal looked like it might have been a bit offside as well, although one of our players was ball watching... The ref was shocking, as were the commentators (in the studio too).

I imagine we'll slip a few places again tomorrow but this was a very important point (which I would definitely have taken before the match!) as without it there was a chance of us going into the bottom 3. It hurts to be in front twice and then end up drawing but West Ham pegged us back (or we sat back) in the 2nd half, and we played the last few minutes 9 vs 11 and still we managed to keep a point....great goal-line clearance from Hughes too!

A much more spirited performance than previous matches when we've lost leads and just collapsed, and considering we were knackered (and it showed in the second half) we did really well.

The main worry from this match I suppose is that now Dabizas will be suspended and Stewart out indefinitely (and as I rambled on about earlier, he is really what we've been missing)... but we now have 2 weeks basically to rest, relax, try out some new training-ground stuff maybe and we should go into it confidently after how we performed tonight.

Steven

I think we have enough cover in defence for Dabizas and Wilcox is on his way back. :wink: ;-) :mrgreen:

lcfcrules

highland fox said:
Although I don't think Tiatto had a particulary bad game I wish he would stay out on the left.He had this tendency to drift into the middle alongside Joey and then we had no width out on the left..

I think if we had had Stewart playing left back, then the tendency for Tiatto to drift in would be ok as Stewart likes getting forward and has the legs to get back (i.e. the similar thing that Arseholes does with Ashley Cole but obviously we're better than them), now that Jordan has dislocated his shoulder, we would have to rely on an unnatural left back. Maybury hasn't done much wrong, but it seems clear that he is less effective going forward than when he was on the right.

Leigh

Steven said:
I think we have enough cover in defence for Dabizas and Wilcox is on his way back. :wink: ;-) :mrgreen:

... :smt022

I'd prefer Stearman thanks ;-)

lcfcrules

Leigh said:
Steven said:

... :smt022

I'd prefer Stearman thanks ;-)

But it would of course be McCarthy and Dublin at the back with maybe Heath on the bench, CL has said on numerous occasions that he doesn't think Stearman is physical enough to be a centre back (yet).

alex

I thought McCarthy was excellent last night, really assured player and great distribution.... Very impressed with him thanks CL!!!!

Also, sorry Homer, I though MDV looked classy again, good first touch, causes problems...

SilverFox

I'm glad I didn't post last night because I would have made a twat out of myself. I was to put mildly gutted that we didn't win. To go twice in front and not hang on to the lead is the type of thing we have been doing for a long time now. I thought the main problem out there was Tiatto, who needs to be made to practice his passing...he kept giving the ball away needlessly when under no pressure! Very poor game for him!

All in all that I was dissapointed is probably a good thing! Good because my expectations have shot up. I actually now believe that we can beat teams like the Hammers away from home. Thanks CL, but please lets work on keeping possession when we take the lead.

This might also make a few of you cringe but I think the players should go away on a short break. It might bond them a bit more...Skeggy though! NOT La Manga!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669