We've signed Martin Keown

Status
Not open for further replies.
YES! That is brilliant news for me! How can people not like this signing!? He was playing for the Champions last season! Admittedly he wasn't a regular, but only because Kolo Toure played really well all year.

This is great. When I'd seen the likes of Reading and West Ham linked with him, I was thinking it was a shame we didn't make an offer but figured his wages would be too high. When I saw this post I thought you were having a laugh! lol

Great news :) Martin Keown will be able to teach the younger defenders a bit :)

PERSONALLY I THINK THIS IS A GREAT SIGNING.

WHEN YOU LOOK HOW EXPERIENCED OUR DEFENCE IS, AND WHAT FUTURE PROSPECTS WE'VE GOT COMING UP ITS LOOKING PRETTY DAMN GOOD!

I'M GONNA SLAM A CHEEKY £20 ON CITY TO WIN THE LEAGUE! THE DADS ARMY WILL REIGN SUPREME THIS SEASON AND PISS IT! WE'LL BE WAVING BYE BYE TO WARNOCK AND CO YET AGAIN COME MAY!

WE'LL DO AN ARSENAL AND BE UNDEFEATED IN THE LEAGUE ALL SEASON!

ROCK N ROLL DUDES!

Fact is our defence has looked all over the place for a long long time - and especially so last year. Players out of position, panic stations at the end of games, poor marking, poor all round awareness

He may be ancient. He may not play every game. And he may be the ugliest man in Britain.

But he will kick our defence into shape once and for all.

A magnificent signing IMO, and potentially the most important one of the summer

A still think Micky has a queer eye for the older guy.

I could see him being man of the match on a few rainy winter away games, the lack of pace and stamina due to ageing will begin to show up after the 1st 50 minutes or so. The only player who actually improved past 35 was Roger Milla.

Who would of thought at the end of the season that this year we would have a central defense in the first division containing a current european championship winner and a current premier league winner.

Ha Ha Quality...!!!

I did put the "why?" before I knew that Matt Elliott was going to be out for 12 weeks but even so I am not at all sure about this signing, the lack of pace at the back is going to be a problem. OK the fizzy league is not as fast as the Premier but there are still teams with pace up frount, West Ham for a start. Also if neither Heath nor Stearman get any significant amount of games this season how are we going to progress them? Anyway I hope he proves to be a great signing and gets our defence organised to a tight unit and I'm 100% wrong, we'll see.

Dunc said:
I think he is a great signing with Elliott out for 3-4 months.

Without him we'd only have Heath, Dabizas and Stearman. I think the main reason we let Mawene go was the potential of Stearman and Heath so to have Keown there and help nuture the talent is a great advantage to their development.

Lets not forget that Keown was part of the last great Domestic back 4 and played Champions League football less than 12 months ago. Hardly a crippled old has been.

Elliotts only gonna be out for 3 weeks!!

dave said:
Dunc said:
I think he is a great signing with Elliott out for 3-4 months.

Without him we'd only have Heath, Dabizas and Stearman. I think the main reason we let Mawene go was the potential of Stearman and Heath so to have Keown there and help nuture the talent is a great advantage to their development.

Lets not forget that Keown was part of the last great Domestic back 4 and played Champions League football less than 12 months ago. Hardly a crippled old has been.

Nope - latest news is 12 weeks

gloucesterfox said:
I did put the "why?" before I knew that Matt Elliott was going to be out for 12 weeks but even so I am not at all sure about this signing, the lack of pace at the back is going to be a problem. OK the fizzy league is not as fast as the Premier but there are still teams with pace up frount, West Ham for a start. Also if neither Heath nor Stearman get any significant amount of games this season how are we going to progress them? Anyway I hope he proves to be a great signing and gets our defence organised to a tight unit and I'm 100% wrong, we'll see.

They will play games.... elliot and keown WILL miss games. Remember Stearman is only 16/17 his time will come. Keowns arrival can only help him develop this year!!!

dave said:

Sorry, if you look at the link about the signing you'll see that Mickey says that Matt's out for 12 weeks, must have been worse than first thought.

gloucesterfox said:

I still think Heath could start.. Keown and Heath? Or Micky might go for 3-5-2, with Canero and Wilcox as wingbacks and then have Keown, Heath and Dabizas/Elliott at the back.

Since Dabizas, Elliott and Keown are all farily old, then they probably won't be able to play every game. I imagine Heath and Stearman will get chances this season.

Hell, Micky could let Stearman and Heath play every game once we're promoted by Christmas :wink:

WATHANfox said:
I'm feeling optamistic again :D great signing now for some decent strikers

After conolly no more strikers are needed..... central midfield is weakest we only have nalis and williams!!!! We need two more Midfielders and we should be set!!!

Babylon said:
They will play games.... elliot and keown WILL miss games. Remember Stearman is only 16/17 his time will come. Keowns arrival can only help him develop this year!!!

But if Elliott and Keown alternate with Dabizas that does not leave much chance of Heath playing much and virtually none for Stearman. The younger players need to know that there is a chance they can come through or we'll end up with them looking to go elsewhere.

For christs sake, Heath will think he is a better bet for a starting berth that Dabizas, and Stearman at 16/17 wouldn't imagine he would be starting any games this year!!!

Lets be realistic, the shaggers had a team of 18 year olds for the majority of last season, Ian Taylor was their only player over about 24 for the first 3 months, and they got slaughtered. You need a mix, which is what we will have.

Canero, morris, Williams, Heath, Wright, Connelly, Stewart, Dawson are all likely to be involved throughout the season, some more than others, but lets not kid ourselves that these youngsters are good enough to win it alone.

gloucesterfox said:
Babylon said:

But if Elliott and Keown alternate with Dabizas that does not leave much chance of Heath playing much and virtually none for Stearman. The younger players need to know that there is a chance they can come through or we'll end up with them looking to go elsewhere.

The old dogs always get a niggle or two. That'll give the youngsters a chance to shine.

gloucesterfox said:
Babylon said:

Like i said the guy is 16.... you shouldnt be expecting a 16year old to play many games if any, so i doubt he would look elsewhere.

Heath will get games, but even he must see playing and training with keown can only help him. He's a leicester boy and wont leave!!

Dunc said:
For christs sake, Heath will think he is a better bet for a starting berth that Dabizas, and Stearman at 16/17 wouldn't imagine he would be starting any games this year!!!

Lets be realistic, the shaggers had a team of 18 year olds for the majority of last season, Ian Taylor was their only player over about 24 for the first 3 months, and they got slaughtered. You need a mix, which is what we will have.

Canero, morris, Williams, Heath, Wright, Connelly, Stewart, Dawson are all likely to be involved throughout the season, some more than others, but lets not kid ourselves that these youngsters are good enough to win it alone.

Exactly!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265