We've signed Martin Keown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always hated Keown but he will show the youngsters a thing or two so i reluctantly say he's a good signing :) :)

Dunc said:
For christs sake, Heath will think he is a better bet for a starting berth that Dabizas, and Stearman at 16/17 wouldn't imagine he would be starting any games this year!!!

Lets be realistic, the shaggers had a team of 18 year olds for the majority of last season, Ian Taylor was their only player over about 24 for the first 3 months, and they got slaughtered. You need a mix, which is what we will have.

Canero, morris, Williams, Heath, Wright, Connelly, Stewart, Dawson are all likely to be involved throughout the season, some more than others, but lets not kid ourselves that these youngsters are good enough to win it alone.

Did I ever say we should only play youth players? No. I am just not convinced that signing another player of that age is a good move when the defence already has mainly over 30's. If your right and Heath plays along side one of the older players I think that would be good but I have my doubts that will happen. I would think that Stearman will be expecting to start to break into the first team squad in the latter half of the season, if he is as good as he is being built up to be and he will be 18 (or very close to it) by then he should be starting to come through.

gloucesterfox said:
Dunc said:
For christs sake, Heath will think he is a better bet for a starting berth that Dabizas, and Stearman at 16/17 wouldn't imagine he would be starting any games this year!!!

Lets be realistic, the shaggers had a team of 18 year olds for the majority of last season, Ian Taylor was their only player over about 24 for the first 3 months, and they got slaughtered. You need a mix, which is what we will have.

Canero, morris, Williams, Heath, Wright, Connelly, Stewart, Dawson are all likely to be involved throughout the season, some more than others, but lets not kid ourselves that these youngsters are good enough to win it alone.

Did I ever say we should only play youth players? No. I am just not convinced that signing another player of that age is a good move when the defence already has mainly over 30's. If your right and Heath plays along side one of the older players I think that would be good but I have my doubts that will happen. I would think that Stearman will be expecting to start to break into the first team squad in the latter half of the season, if he is as good as he is being built up to be and he will be 18 (or very close to it) by then he should be starting to come through.

Stearman turns 17 on August 19th.

Sorry Gloucester Fox don't agree with you, think we would be a lot more solid with Dabizas and Keown in the middle. At the end of the day Heath was not that good last season, his distribution is very poor. To be honest with you, Stearman sounds a much better prospect. Lets get back in the Premiership where we belong, to do that you need a solid back line and i'm afraid with Heath in, it is not.

Cobbo said:
gloucesterfox said:
Dunc said:

Stearman turns 17 on August 19th.

next year is his year.... elliot, keown and maybe dabizas will be off so he should come through.

Bren said:
Sorry Gloucester Fox don't agree with you, think we would be a lot more solid with Dabizas and Keown in the middle. At the end of the day Heath was not that good last season, his distribution is very poor. To be honest with you, Stearman sounds a much better prospect. Lets get back in the Premiership where we belong, to do that you need a solid back line and i'm afraid with Heath in, it is not.

No need to be sorry! none of us really know it's only our opinions I could be 100% wrong and I hope I am, I like all of us (appart from the odd guest) want City to do well. While Mickey is in charge all we can do is back him and hope he has it right but that doesn't mean that we can't express our opinions and only in hind site will we know who was right.

This is a brilliant signing no two ways about it.

Keown is one of those players who you hate if he plays against you but love if he plays for you. He will be by far the best centre back in the league next year.

People have questioned his pace but I think he is probably still faster now than Elliot ever has been.

He will also give invaluable experience to Heath and Stearman in training. Plus if he is ever out on the lash in Leicester we can wind him up for looking like a monkey!

Awesome.

After a feeling of 'Oh god no, not another geriatric', i sat down and had a think about this signing and i now agree with you all, hes alot more pacy than Elliott, played at the top level for a long time, i think he will turn out to be an excellent buy, well done Micky, lets hope this shows Connonlly that were a far better side than Sunderland, and have a greater chance of promotion.

I certainly agree with Ian, I've never liked the Keown but with the amount of experience at the top level he has, only players like Maldini probably know more about defending then him (who still play today).

Should be a good signing.

Couldn't be happier! Think this is an excelent capture and someone who will clearly give us some stability in defense!

:twisted:
I think hes pure evil, nasty spiteful and ugly!
Seriously could be one of MA's best signings this summer.
thought we were a family club!

Hugh Jarse said:
The large man will watch over his flock well.

If you say so :?

Clint_Foxwood said:
A still think Micky has a queer eye for the older guy.

I could see him being man of the match on a few rainy winter away games, the lack of pace and stamina due to ageing will begin to show up after the 1st 50 minutes or so. The only player who actually improved past 35 was Roger Milla.

City's oldest ever signing?

I think the late Sep Smith might have been the oldest player to appear post war but he was a long standing stalwart.

Seriously, probably quite a shrewd signing at this level - I'm afraid Heath is never going to be the article, Stearman still too young - for a central defender position & we are going to have lots of injuries to our ancients & suspensions too.

I would not make us favourites now for the fair play awards.

Redditch Fox said:
I would not make us favourites now for the fair play awards.
that would be a shame.
not the christian spirit the game used to be played with. :cry:
i will pray for him

Hugh Jarse said:
not the christian spirit the game used to be played with. :cry:
i will pray for him

is the 'christian way' getting ripped apart by the lions?

or going on tricky away tours of the middle east?

:?

How many goals do you reckon by Keown & Dublin from corners this season?

Tom W said:
Terrible.

I think you might have forgotten what an excellent defender Keown is, even though he will probably only be at the club for a year to help us get back up. He has helped Arsenal to League Titles, and Heath, Stearman, Tozer etc. will gain vastly from the experience of Keown on the training ground.

Bobby Smith said:
How many goals do you reckon by Keown & Dublin from corners this season?

Keown hardly ever scores! Think he got about 1 goal for Arsenal! :p

Dublin will be a huge threat though!

You've signed a quality player there in Keown.:oops: To be honest, we had Irwin in our defence last season and he certainly didn't let us down, although admitedly he did struggle for pace. It's the old adage isn't it of if you're good enough you're young enough, or should that be old enough. :lol:

Joking apart I think he will prove more than useful in the championship, however the jury's out. :roll: :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363