What a shame

Status
Not open for further replies.

MHS

Sky Sports News said:
Arnaud Clement ended Andy Murray's dream of winning his first tournament under the charge of Brad Gilbert as he won the Legg Mason Classic in straight sets 7-6 6-2. Murray, in his third Tour final, applied the early pressure but Clement fought back and the two traded breaks of serve en route to a first set tie-breaker.
The teenage Scot produced far too many errors in the breaker though and he enabled the Frenchman to go on and take the set 7-3 in the tie-break.
Murray's poor form then continued in the second as he was broken in his opening service game to go 2-0 behind.
The trainer was called on as Murray seemed to struggle with a hand problem and he was soon 4-0 behind as the errors continued to flow and his head went down.
Finally Murray got going and after holding a couple of games he launched a serious challenge when Clement was serving for the title at 5-2.
A successful line challenge on the video replay saw Murray earn two break points, but he wasted the first chance to break back as he floated an easy approach beyond the baseline with Clement on the run.
An unsuccessful line challenge followed and Clement held his nerve to seal the Legg Mason Classic title without dropping a set.
"It was a fantastic match for me," Clement said. "I didn't make many mistakes and I felt good on the court.
"He missed a lot of forehands in the second set.
"He missed too much maybe with this little problem in his hand.
"It's one of my greatest weeks ever. I think I played my best match in the finals so it was a perfect week for me.
“I was very nervous to finish the match - and to start the match also. But it was a fantastic feeling on the court.”
The win was Clement's fourth ATP Tour title of his career, but his first to come outside of France.
It was still a great display from Murray but the final proved that he and Gilbert still have a lot of work to do for him to progress.

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Sad to say he beat Federer in straight sets last night...:icon_conf

Terrific achievement and exciting talent. Time to quit carping and get behind the lad. After all which of us (apart from me!) doesn't have the odd character flaw. It would never stop you supporting your favourite football team.

Terrific achievement and exciting talent. Time to quit carping and get behind the lad. After all which of us (apart from me!) doesn't have the odd character flaw. It would never stop you supporting your favourite football team.

NEVER!!!!!!!. After his comments there is no way i'll ever support him even if he becomes world no 1. Sick of hearing anti-English retric .

NEVER!!!!!!!. After his comments there is no way i'll ever support him even if he becomes world no 1. Sick of hearing anti-English retric .

I think people should lighten up, he made one light hearted comment about the England football team during the world cup and people reacted as though he said he hates the country and everyone in it.
:icon_roll

I'll wager that he can spell rhetoric though.
:icon_wink

I think people should lighten up, he made one light hearted comment about the England football team during the world cup and people reacted as though he said he hates the country and everyone in it.

:038:

Theres no doubt hes a great talent but he does need to lighten up the sour faced fecker.He's british and I suppose we should support him but hes hardly going to win Sports Personality of the Year,owing to the fact he hasn't got one.

Theres no doubt hes a great talent but he does need to lighten up the sour faced fecker.He's british and I suppose we should support him but hes hardly going to win Sports Personality of the Year,owing to the fact he hasn't got one.

:102: :)

Totally disagree, there was no need for him to make the comments. Then again he's only echoing the vast majority of his fellow countrymen. Nice to see David Coulthard congratulate Jenson Button on his first grand prix win though, and i'm sure the likes of Colin Montgomerie, Steven Hendry, and the very magnanimous Gavin Hastings prove that not all Scots sportsmen and women feel the need to express there opinions about England. I don't have a problem with the fans and supporters of Scotlands sporting teams expressing there opinions of us, because we can give as good as we get. But for a professional sportsman to make comments is out of order imo. I'm sure that Mr Murray at the end of the day would sooner have the predominately English crowd backing him at Wimbledon, and for that reason i don't see why he needs to alienate his potential support.

He is very young,maybe in time he will learn to think before he opens his mouth.

Totally disagree, there was no need for him to make the comments.

What would you like him to have said then, when someone asked him who he was supporting in the world cup?

Like him or not, I'm glad he actually answers questions honestly, rather than give the typical bland sports person's answer.

It was a flippant comment, I really don't see what everyone's getting so upset about. He was asked who he'd support in the world cup and he said the team England's playing against. There are plenty of other people who think the same way, and plenty of English people who wouldn't support Scotland if the situation was reversed. He didn't say he doesn't like England or the English, he just said he didn't want the football team to win the World Cup. I don't see the problem with that. The problem is the people who take an innocent comment like that and make it out to be more than it really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669