What a shame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally disagree, there was no need for him to make the comments. Then again he's only echoing the vast majority of his fellow countrymen. Nice to see David Coulthard congratulate Jenson Button on his first grand prix win though, and i'm sure the likes of Colin Montgomerie, Steven Hendry, and the very magnanimous Gavin Hastings prove that not all Scots sportsmen and women feel the need to express there opinions about England. I don't have a problem with the fans and supporters of Scotlands sporting teams expressing there opinions of us, because we can give as good as we get. But for a professional sportsman to make comments is out of order imo. I'm sure that Mr Murray at the end of the day would sooner have the predominately English crowd backing him at Wimbledon, and for that reason i don't see why he needs to alienate his potential support.

Thats not the case up here,most of the people are indifferent to how the English get on in any sport.Might be different down in the cities i don't know

What would you like him to have said then, when someone asked him who he was supporting in the world cup?

I don't care who he wanted to win the world cup .What he said that annoyed myself and many others was that he would be supporting anyone who played against England, which imo is a provocative statement. Theres a difference in him saying that he won't support England because hes not English,rather than the fact that he wants every man and his dog to beat us.

The problem is the people who take an innocent comment like that and make it out to be more than it really is.

Innocent or insensitive:102: take your pick, personally i find his comments unwelcome. I will not post any further on this one because i will not change my opinion of Murray.

i just dont like the boring bastard. and what he said didnt help. i dont really need a reason i just hope he fails. i hate people who speak

"tougher" of cours, the one finger I type with got lost.

up your bum? melton has that problem all the time, hence his senseless posts.

Andy Murray considers himself to be Scottish not British, he has stated in the past he doesnt like Wimbledon due to how its run and prefers the US Open. Its just sad the English people are so desperate for a tennis star that they latch onto him!

I have nothing against the lad but at the same time Im not going to jump and down when he wins a game

I applaud all Scottish sports stars, and Welsh, and Irish (North & South). Folks on this Archipelago share a heritage (for better or worse) and I feel an affinity for that.

I don't give a toss about Murray's heritage. Hes a twat. If he were English I would still dislike him the moaning git.

I don't know about anyone else but I just think it's nice to see us have a decent tennis player for a change.. we created the sport and we've had too few decent players. The fact that hes Scottish doesn't remotely bother me.. I suppose it's only fair that they have some decent sportsman to make up for their shit football team :icon_lol:

I fear his ranking may flatter him when it comes to Grand Slam tournaments. His meteoric rise is based on performance in three-set tournaments, and even in these he eventually gets exhausted (witness his last performance against Roddick). There are clearly still big question marks about his stamina for five-set tournaments. Seeded 17 for the US Open. I think he will do well to justify that seeding.

Hope I'm wrong though and he goes all the way. good luck to him!

If I was in Murrays position and somebody asked me if I wanted Scotland to win the world cup, I'm afraid I'd tell them too.

I don't understand why people don't like him just because of this. I just think he's a c**t full stop, nothing to do with his footballing preferences

Last edited:
Good win for him! It helped that the other bloke lost it in the final set! :icon_bigg

Good win for him! It helped that the other bloke lost it in the final set! :icon_bigg

"lost it" - methinks with frustration at Murray's refusal to lie down. Perhaps he has answered some questions about his stamina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669