What Are You Listening To Now?

Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers).

Last edited:
Johann Sebastian Bach -B Minor Mass.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aXF9DG9FGo[/YOUTUBE]

I thought that was going to be a cover of the Nick Cave song. May have been inspired by it. I like it. Reminds me of JAMC or Swans.

Just put Television - Marquee Moon on, **** me, haven't heard this one in years, forgot just how good it was.

Last edited:
Neil Young - Live at Massey Hall 1971.

It doesn't get much better than this...

Are there no young people making decent music these days?

You should be a lot older than you are before you decide that modern music is crap and you start listening to old stuff instead.

Eh? What are you on about Jeff. I do listen to loads of new stuff. Where have I ever said modern music is crap? :102: In fact, I've posted that I've been listening to The Legendary Pink Dots, Autechre, Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Joanna Newsom records in the past few days. :icon_conf I'm not bothered when an album is released as long as it's good.

Last edited:
Where have I ever said modern music is crap?

You've not. But recently you seem to be listening to mainly old stuff.

I was in my thirties before I started listening to mainly older music, you seem too young to be doing that.

Maybe it's because music is so much cheaper and easier to get hold of these days. No MP3 or Spotify when I was your age, if you wanted music you had to buy the record. My main source of music was the reduced singles (often 10p) from places like St Martin's records and Revolver.

I probably seem to be listening to more older stuff, because the amount of older stuff out there vastly outweighs the number of newer stuff out there. So law of averages says I'm more likely to be listening to older stuff.

To be honest, it strikes me as an odd attitude to put any weight on the year something was released and saying someone should be of a certain age to listen to it. Good music is good music regardless of whether it was released last week or 500 years ago,

Last edited:
To be honest, it strikes me as an odd attitude to put any weight on the year something was released and saying someone should be of a certain age to listen to it.

I didn't say that, and my original post was partly in jest - I was just surprised that someone of your age is listening to so much old music.

I probably seem to be listening to more older stuff, because the amount of older stuff out there vastly outweighs the number of newer stuff out there.

That wasn't the case when I was your age. The older stuff just wasn't available to listen to.

Maybe you kids don't realise what it was like for us old uns....

(sorry, this is going to take more than two lines)

When I was your age the only way I could listen to stuff I hadn't heard before was on the radio (which was mainly rubbish), in a club, or to borrow it from a friend.

The likes of Dylan and Young rarely got played on the radio in those days. Some of the more obscure older stuff you listen to wouldn't have been on the radio at all in this country.
Radio 1 played mainly new(ish) mainstream music. Radio 2 was MOR/easy listening crap. There was no Radio 6 or any of the digital stations. Centre Radio/Leicester Sound was like Radio 1 but with even worse DJs.
The only DJs worth listening to in those days were John Peel on Radio 1, and Herdle White on Radio Leicester. Smashie and Nicey ruled the airwaves, and the internet was a long way off.

The only music magazines were the likes of NME, Sounds, Melody Maker and Smash Hits. All focussing on new music.
So nowhere to even learn about older music - other than from parents. My mum liked Barry Manilow in those days (she likes Elbow, Keane and Cee Lo now), my dad liked ELO (I didn't realise at the time that he had a large record collection stored in the loft).

Records were relatively expensive, so people bought what they knew they liked, and they only knew what they liked because they'd heard it on the radio. So it was mainly new stuff.

It was only when magazines like Mojo came along in the nineties that I had the chance to learn about some of the music from a couple of decades earlier. Even then records/CDs were relatively expensive. In the early days of CDs they cost around £14 each (about a quarter of my wages). If there was a sale you might have got one for a tenner. If you wanted something that wasn't stocked in a record shop you had to order it - and if you were lucky it would still be available. It was only the mainstream older stuff that was available.
I started buying classical music because there were lots of cheaper classical CDs available. I didn't care if my Beethoven symphonies were performed by an obscure East European orchestra, they still sounded good to me.

Eventually the likes of Amazon came along, and the price of music dropped. There were lots more re-releases of older stuff at budget prices. It was much less of a risk buying something if it only cost £5. So that's when I started to listen to a lot more older music, and my cd collection grew to 1000+ fairly quickly.

Now I listen to a lot more different stuff than I've ever done, because I listen to music online for free, but I also buy a lot less.

If I was growing up today I'm sure I'd be listening to a much wider variety of music than I did 20+ years ago, because it's so much easier now.

Last edited:
The Men They Couldn't Hang - Donald Where's Your Troosers?
Jacob Miller - Baby I Love You So
Frazey Ford - In My Time of Dying
Custom Blue - All Will Be Well
Afro Celt Sound System - Release It (Masters At Work Segue/DJ Edit)
The Wedding Present - Tiutiunyk
Tackhead - Listen good drummers
Sparks - Something For The Girl With Everything
Yello - Oh Yeah
Monty Python - Eric The Half A Bee

I didn't say that, and my original post was partly in jest - I was just surprised that someone of your age is listening to so much old music.

That wasn't the case when I was your age. The older stuff just wasn't available to listen to.

Maybe you kids don't realise what it was like for us old uns....

(sorry, this is going to take more than two lines)

When I was your age the only way I could listen to stuff I hadn't heard before was on the radio (which was mainly rubbish), in a club, or to borrow it from a friend.

The likes of Dylan and Young rarely got played on the radio in those days. Some of the more obscure older stuff you listen to wouldn't have been on the radio at all in this country.
Radio 1 played mainly new(ish) mainstream music. Radio 2 was MOR/easy listening crap. There was no Radio 6 or any of the digital stations. Centre Radio/Leicester Sound was like Radio 1 but with even worse DJs.
The only DJs worth listening to in those days were John Peel on Radio 1, and Herdle White on Radio Leicester. Smashie and Nicey ruled the airwaves, and the internet was a long way off.

The only music magazines were the likes of NME, Sounds, Melody Maker and Smash Hits. All focussing on new music.
So nowhere to even learn about older music - other than from parents. My mum liked Barry Manilow in those days (she likes Elbow, Keane and Cee Lo now), my dad liked ELO (I didn't realise at the time that he had a large record collection stored in the loft).

Records were relatively expensive, so people bought what they knew they liked, and they only knew what they liked because they'd heard it on the radio. So it was mainly new stuff.

It was only when magazines like Mojo came along in the nineties that I had the chance to learn about some of the music from a couple of decades earlier. Even then records/CDs were relatively expensive. In the early days of CDs they cost around £14 each (about a quarter of my wages). If there was a sale you might have got one for a tenner. If you wanted something that wasn't stocked in a record shop you had to order it - and if you were lucky it would still be available. It was only the mainstream older stuff that was available.
I started buying classical music because there were lots of cheaper classical CDs available. I didn't care if my Beethoven symphonies were performed by an obscure East European orchestra, they still sounded good to me.

Eventually the likes of Amazon came along, and the price of music dropped. There were lots more re-releases of older stuff at budget prices. It was much less of a risk buying something if it only cost £5. So that's when I started to listen to a lot more older music, and my cd collection grew to 1000+ fairly quickly.

Now I listen to a lot more different stuff than I've ever done, because I listen to music online for free, but I also buy a lot less.

If I was growing up today I'm sure I'd be listening to a much wider variety of music than I did 20+ years ago, because it's so much easier now.

Fair enough, Jeff.

A good thing about the MP3 age for collectors is that it's meant second hand CDs are so cheap and easy to buy online. There's plenty of CDs I've never seen in record stores for example but have bought online. As well as the internet making it much easier to find lesser known music you would like.

Definitely a great time to be a music fan and discovering music anyhow.

Fat Marley - Truminy
Kathryn Williams - White, Blue And Red
The Four Brothers - Ngatichenjerei Kuparira Vana
Raul Orellana - Guitarra
Kathryn Williams - 50 white lines
Natalie Merchant - The Dancing Bear
Billy Bragg - Goalhanger
Half Man Half Biscuit - Mathematically Safe
Cocteau Twins - Hitherto
Mighty Sparrow - London Bridge

Barrington Levy - Here I Come (Broader Than Broadway)
Otis Redding & Carla Thomas - Tramp
MGMT - Kids - Remix
Beth Orton - She Cries Your Name
Electrelane - Film Music (Original Version)
Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine - Rent
Arrow - Groove Master
Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine - Rent
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Christine
Electrelane - Blue Straggler

Mumford & Sons - Little Lion Man
OMC - How Bizarre
P!nk - Please Don't Leave Me
Bruce Springsteen - Hungry Heart
Billy Joel - An Innocent Man
John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John and cast - Summer Nights
Pink Floyd - Speak To Me / Breathe In The Air