What would you recommend.

Ok, what I want is this:

- free installation
- installation available at weekends
- 10MB+ speed
- Unlimited download
- Free wireless router

What would you recommend.

You first need to find out what is available in your area - 10Mb may not be available to you.

If you choose ADSL all the 'installation' is done at the other end and there would usually be no reason for anybody to call on you at the weekend or otherwise - what you need would be delivered to you and you would have to follow fairly simple instructions to set the system up. I'm not sure whether the same would apply to cable broadband, but I am sure somebody can advise.

Unlimited downloads often come at a price. You might not need unlimited downloads.

Many deals come with a wireless router.

It's difficult to know what to recommend when it is not known what will be available to you. Start from here or from one of the many similar pages on the internet.

I don't need unlimited downloads actually, maybe 8Gb just to be safe.
Also, I should say that I don't have a landline (I have a phone socket though)
I have no holiday left so cannot wait in for the cable guy.
Anything from 4MB upwards should be ok for me.

I don't need unlimited downloads actually, maybe 8Gb just to be safe.
Also, I should say that I don't have a landline (I have a phone socket though)
I have no holiday left so cannot wait in for the cable guy.
Anything from 4MB upwards should be ok for me.

Have you already got cable to the premises?

BT charge over £100 to reconnect your landline, think it might even be nearer £200 actually.

If you want to use Xbox Live or PSNetwork dont even think about using BT for your broadband supply

A report recently said that something ridiculously small like only 5% of UK users where receiving anywhere near the speed they get quoted, most are only on near enough 2MB.

I'm with Sky btw and no problems at all unless you want to use your own SMTP server through Outlook.

Last edited:
A report recently said that something ridiculously small like only 5% of UK users where receiving anywhere near the speed they get quoted, most are only on near enough 2MB.

The 'up to' in the phrase "up to 8Mb" is critical.

In theory, it is quite possible to be sold an 8Mb package, but dependant on certain line characteristics you may have to put up with speeds as low as 50 kbps before a fault could be raised with BT Wholesale. 8Mb = 8000 kbps.

The throughput fault thresholds are between 50 and 600 kbps.

In fact, 8000 kbps isn't even theoretically possible on an 8Mb line, but I'm starting to bore myself now.

If you really want 10mb+ Joe, check around with a few suppliers. I am currently in the process of changing from BT at 6mb to O2 who are expecting me to get 11mb.

Of course your best option will be Virgin Media if you are in a cable area.

To be honest, any advice you get here will be of limited value to you. What is best for you depends on many factors, most notably the area you live in.

You need to decide what your priorities are - speed, price, reliability (including ease of resolving problems when they occur) then talk to neighbours and find their experiences.

Whatever you do, do NOT entertain the idea of going TalkTalk. Their appalling customer service is superior only to their nonexistent product. Don't touch with a barge pole.

I know I can get Virgin media in my area as friend down the road have it.
They had a free installation offer vbut that ended yesterday :(

If you threaten to go to sky they will probably fold

Sky Broadband is only available to Sky TV customers. And yes, I do realise that you were only suggesting that Joe_ used it as a threat, but just making sure Joe_ realises it will not be an option for him unless he already has Sky

Joe, if you can get cable it will be your fastest, most stable and probably cheapest option.

Sky Broadband is only available to Sky TV customers. And yes, I do realise that you were only suggesting that Joe_ used it as a threat, but just making sure Joe_ realises it will not be an option for him unless he already has Sky

It never used to be and I can't see on their site where it says you must?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669