What Broadband should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
not any more it doesn't. :(

Bastards!! I can assure you it was there and on other VM pages when I wrote this morning.

Sorry.

If I don't have a BT Landline, what are my options? I've checked O2 and Be and they both say I need a BT phoneline. WTF!?

If I don't have a BT Landline, what are my options? I've checked O2 and Be and they both say I need a BT phoneline. WTF!?

Its pretty simple Joe. To receive ADSL Broadband you need a BT phone line, regardless of the broadband provider. BT will charge around £200 to reconnect your line.

You have 2 alternatives (there are others but I doubt you'd want to explore them):

1. Get Cable Broadband from Virgin Media
2. Use a mobile broadband service which I know youve had problems with in the past.

Sky charge a £60 activation fee for their broadband. I've tried twice to get them to waive this, and both times i've been unsucessful.

Sky charge a £60 activation fee for their broadband. I've tried twice to get them to waive this, and both times i've been unsucessful.

We've already established that to get Sky broadband you must also subscribe to SkyTV. And to get SkyTV, you need to have a phone line.

We've already established that to get Sky broadband you must also subscribe to SkyTV. And to get SkyTV, you need to have a phone line.

I know that, I was just pointing out that they have an activation fee.

It heats up! Well amazingly I'm online at home with a whopping 0.15Kbps speed, earlier it was 49Kbps. Pretty good ay!

So, Duzza, is it really so simple? Do I truly only have two choices? Surely there is another broadband company that doesn't require a BT phone line???

Surely there is another broadband company that doesn't require a BT phone line???

Not unless somebody has invented a new technology that nobody is aware of.
For domestic broadband there's only ever been a choice of either cable or a phoneline connection.

I can't believe that it has to be BT though. Is that really the case??

I can't believe that it has to be BT though. Is that really the case??

Some broadband providers will arrange for the landline to be installed (through BT) if you order a phone & broadband bundle with them, but you can't just order broadband that way.

Last edited:
They have been saying that for years, but they have still installed it, at an extra cost.

Not that it's relevant to Joe_'s question though, if you want Sky Broadband you'll need a phone line.

And you'll also need SkyTV - they won't do BB without TV. Sky is clearly not the way for Joe_.

Or wireless internet which from my experience with Th.ree mobile is utter shite.
Hmmm, I'm stuck really. I would have got Virgin but the installation is no longer free unless you get a package. I don't really want TV or a landline. Any one know how to find out when special offers are due to come up? Any insiders at Virgin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669