Where should new tyres go ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brauny Blue

I have just been to National and had two new tyres fitted. One of those replaced was the off-side front (puncture). The inner track of the tyre was nearly bald, as was was the front near-side tyre. Apparently the tracking was miles out, probaly thanks to those wonderful pot-holes that have appeared since winter.
The fitter put my two new tyres at the rear, and put the two rears on the front. I never questioned it, thinking that these are people that do the job day in day out, and wouldnt make an error on such a matter. However since speaking to ma and pa, they have said they should have stuck the new ones on the front, and that was advice given to them by a family friend that used to run a garage. I have just had a look on the net, and seem to be getting contrasting opinions.

Anybody know for sure what is right or wrong ?

I have just been to National and had two new tyres fitted. One of those replaced was the off-side front (puncture). The inner track of the tyre was nearly bald, as was was the front near-side tyre. Apparently the tracking was miles out, probaly thanks to those wonderful pot-holes that have appeared since winter.
The fitter put my two new tyres at the rear, and put the two rears on the front. I never questioned it, thinking that these are people that do the job day in day out, and wouldnt make an error on such a matter. However since speaking to ma and pa, they have said they should have stuck the new ones on the front, and that was advice given to them by a family friend that used to run a garage. I have just had a look on the net, and seem to be getting contrasting opinions.

Anybody know for sure what is right or wrong ?

Is the car front or rear wheel drive?

The fitter put my two new tyres at the rear, and put the two rears on the front.

The fitter was correct. A pair of new tyres should go on the back - and this would apply whether the car was front- or rear-wheel drive.

The fitter was correct. A pair of new tyres should go on the back - and this would apply whether the car was front- or rear-wheel drive.

Out of interest what is this based on?

I would think they should go on the driven wheels as these will inevitably (sp?) get more wear and also require more grip.

Out of interest what is this based on?

I would think they should go on the driven wheels as these will inevitably (sp?) get more wear and also require more grip.

Based on what I've been told by fitters over and over again.

Front tyres tend to wear out quicker whether a car is front- or rear-wheel drive. If new tyres go on the front, it follows that the old ones will go on the back and may age-deteriorate before they wear out. The better tyres on the back aid straight-line breaking, especially in the wet, and are better for handling.

Last edited:
And fwiw Kwikfit agrees with me.

Is the car front or rear wheel drive?

Its front wheel. When it was mentioned, i thought probaly like yourself that they should have stuck them on the front, but Bocs posts seem to be in line with what the fitter done. I would only take the car back if what was done was totally against the usual practice. It seems there is an argument for both sides of the story, in which case i'll leave it be.

Last edited:
If you just leave the rear and don't rotate they tend to perish before you get the use out of them. Unless you do very high mileage. Fitter correct :)

Following on from Boc, one additional reason newer tyres should go on the rear because a rear tyre blowout makes the car more unstable than a front tyre blowout.

It's got nothing to do with perishing, it is far easier to recover from a loss of traction at the front than the rear on any car so that is where you need the best traction.

I was getting a new tyre last week and saw a diagram explaining why new tyres were placed on the rear wheels, which said it was to provide more grip and prevent the back end from stepping out around bends. But only if you were getting two new tyres...

Interesting this, i always thought that new tyres should be fitted to the drive wheels whether front or rear as the previous poster said you get better traction. I can see the point now though that it is easier to keep control of front wheels in event of loss of traction. On the point of blow outs i have always been led to believe that front tyre blow out was more dangerous than rear as it is harder to keep the car under control due to the effect on steering. I have had a rear tyre blow and fortunately not too catastrophic (touches wood).

I had a front tyre blow-out in an old Mini, many years ago. I was in the outside lane of the M40 doing around 75 going down Stokenchurch Hill. Before I could react, it shot the car straight across both lanes and on to the hard shoulder. Ripped half the wheel arch out and made my underpants go a horrible brown colour on the inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669