Where will Gerrbrand play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpjfox

I assume that having paid money for him then he will be a first choice defender.
But if he plays centre back who will drop out?, Johannson is not as comfortable at left back.... or will he replace McCarthy.
Its good to have 3 decent centre backs but maybe gives CL a selection headache.
I suppose if he is left footed then Gerrbrand may slot in at left back, but reports suggest we are in the market for a natural full back.
Will be interesting come the Sheff United game

Rather have 3 decent centre back fighting for places than just two and worrying about injuries, it also gives CL alot of options on formation, he is well known for doing lots of homework on how other teams play and if he feels he needs to change things for certain games he will and now seems to have the players to do it. He does prefer 442 though so the CB pairing is going to be very interesting.

drummindefender said:
i get the feeling the johansson is gona be put at left back unless we sign a new one

me too drummin. But only initially whilst Danny T is supended. Is it 2 games he's banned for?

After that it will be very interesting.

It also wouldnt surprise me though if he signed another 'Lenny Left-Back'.....

I wouldn't be suprised to see Gerrbrand at left back.. CL has already said he sees Johansson as a CB and I can't see that Nissa would have joined if he knew he was going to be on the bench most games. McCarthy did well last season, and it would definetely be a shame to see him drop to the bench. But I really doubt we would have signed Gerrbrand, especially for what for us is a considerable fee by the sounds of it and after Levein has been chasing him for 7 months, to have him on the bench. Gerrbrand said of himself that he is fast and passes the ball well, so I think he may be at LB..

Although, according to the Merc, after signing Gerrbrand, Levein does still want to sign a LB and Striker, and apparently has hinted that another signing could be made before the Lillestrom game! So it could be a busy day..

Plus, having just watched the interview with Gerrbrand, he actually said that he has a fair bit of pace for a centre back. That's clearly where he sees his best position. I guess it will just be McCarthy, Gerrbrand and Nissa competing for the 2 starting places. I wonder who will be left out though, hmm.. Tomorrow's friendly could be a good indication.

why not have a formation a bit like this
Douglas

Centre backs Gerrbrand Johansson McCarthy
Wing Backs Maybury Tiatto
Defensive Midfielder Kisnorbo
Attacking Midfielders Williams Hughes

Strikers Connolly De Vries

I agree drummin, even with wingers we play quite narrow, and this way we could dominate the midfield, and would allow hughes and williams to play in their best positions. I can't see it happening though, Levein seems to prefer 4-4-2, and although we are not blessed with left wingers, i can't see sylla being happy at leaving Celtic to come and play on the bench again.

The Stearmanator said:
I agree drummin, even with wingers we play quite narrow, and this way we could dominate the midfield, and would allow hughes and williams to play in their best positions. I can't see it happening though, Levein seems to prefer 4-4-2, and although we are not blessed with left wingers, i can't see sylla being happy at leaving Celtic to come and play on the bench again.
yeh i agree i think sylla is going to be a regular at the start of the season, but its an opition we could try if things don't work out

drummindefender said:
why not have a formation a bit like this
Douglas

Centre backs Gerrbrand Johansson McCarthy
Wing Backs Maybury Tiatto
Defensive Midfielder Kisnorbo
Attacking Midfielders Williams Hughes

Strikers Connolly De Vries

Not a bad team. I think Maybury and Tiatto would make good wing backs-they can both run all game and attack and defend. But i have a feeling that CL is a 442 man, and we're going to see McCarthy dropped. Thats just a feeling i have, but think it would be very harsh on him.

wing backs wont happen. But is a selection headache really a problem.

Might be way off the mark here but maybe Kisnorbo could play left back ? Just an idea...

A few weeks ago people were moaning that our squad wasn't big enough, now it's increasing we have selection problems people are having a moan.
Bloody English mentality, moan it's too cold moan it's too hot, moan if it's raining moan if it's dry. Probably have a moan at my moaning now!!!!!

xsubmariner said:
A few weeks ago people were moaning that our squad wasn't big enough, now it's increasing we have selection problems people are having a moan.
Bloody English mentality, moan it's too cold moan it's too hot, moan if it's raining moan if it's dry. Probably have a moan at my moaning now!!!!!
i dont think anyone was moaning about a selection problem

xsubmariner said:

whos moaning?

highland fox said:
Might be way off the mark here but maybe Kisnorbo could play left back ? Just an idea...

Levein tried Kisnorbo at left-back for Hearts and it wasn't a great success, in fact he then converted Maybury to play left-back as it was a problem area for us at the time.

He had also tried him at centre half for a couple of games and again he wasn't a great success.

I think it's fair to say that the best bet for Kisnorbo is as a defensive midfielder.

I dont see that selection headaches are a problem! its exactly what we need. Competition for places.

zorg1874 said:
Levein tried Kisnorbo at left-back for Hearts and it wasn't a great success, in fact he then converted Maybury to play left-back as it was a problem area for us at the time.

He had also tried him at centre half for a couple of games and again he wasn't a great success.

I think it's fair to say that the best bet for Kisnorbo is as a defensive midfielder.

If he hasn't signed anyone then I see a back 4 of Maybury-McCarthy-Gerrbrand-Johansson.Dickie Stearman on the Subs bench as excellent cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669