Who Actually Was Adam Black?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Profondo Rosso

Every (or most) Leicester fans know about the legendary players of the past: Rowley, Chandler, Lineker, Banks, Shilton, Weller, Worthington etc. Yet this name sits in the record books as Leicester's all-time top league appearance maker ahead of anyone else, but does anyone know actually anything about him? I don't even know what position he played, though guessing by his goal tally he was a defender.

Surely there must be more than a name of the record books to this man? Stories passed down from a few generations of his ability or something, be interesting to know if he was supposedly a good player or just an average one who we couldn't find anyone better than for so many years.

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
Every (or most) Leicester fans know about the legendary players of the past: Rowley, Chandler, Lineker, Banks, Shilton, Weller, Worthington etc. Yet this name sits in the record books as Leicester's all-time top league appearance maker ahead of anyone else, but does anyone know actually anything about him? I don't even know what position he played, though guessing by his goal tally he was a defender.

Surely there must be more than a name of the record books to this man? Stories passed down from a few generations of his ability or something, be interesting to know if he was supposedly a good player or just an average one who we couldn't find anyone better than for so many years.

He was a full-back who played for us in the 20s and early 30s. He was an ever-present in four seasons and missed just a single game in three more. Three of his four goals were penalties and the fourth a fluke from a free-kick 60 yards out - not a pile-driver, but a long ball into the box that everybody including the opposing keeper misjudged.

It seems to me that he was well worth his place in the side and it was felt that he could well have been selected for Scotland if he had been a bit taller and more solidly built.

He had 16 seasons at Filbert Street and retired at 37 to take over the running of a newsagents in one of the streets off Upperton Road. He carried on that business right up until the 70s when he finally retired aged 75.

He was clearly a very brave man, winning a Distinguished Conduct Medal in the First World War, and then at the age of 59 taking a bride forty two years his younger.

He died in Leicester in 1981, aged 83.

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
Just found this Mercury article about him - http://www.thisisleicestershire.co....ero-pitch/article-1501585-detail/article.html

For John Hutchinson, it was the football equivalent of an archaeological discovery on a dig in Egypt.

In 2006, Hutchinson, the "curator" of the sporting memorabilia moved to the Walkers Stadium from Filbert Street, made an astonishing discovery in a cupboard.

What he found was a pair of 1920s football boots belonging to Adam Black, who set the record for playing the most league games for City – a statistic which still stands .

Hutchinson said: "Each boot weighed the equivalent of a bag of sugar and it was such an astonishing find.

"I wrote about the discovery in a match programme and it triggered a chain of events as members of his family provided me with more artefacts to create a digitalised account of Adam's life.

"More crucially, there is no danger of him becoming forgotten."

Black was born on February 18, 1898, in Denny, Stirling, and served as a corporal in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders during the First World War.

March, 1918, was a pivotal month in his life as Black was awarded medals for his bravery – and his football prowess.

Hutchinson said: "He played in the Argyll and Sutherland's football team on the Western Front and won a 51st Divisional Cup medal on March 20.

"The very next day he was cited for gallantry in the trenches and won the Distinguished Conduct Medal."

Back in Scotland at the end of the war, there were newspaper cartoons depicting him as a football-playing war hero.

Then, after a spell with Scottish Central League side Bathgate, Black, now 22, joined Leicester, snapped up by manager Peter Hodge in January, 1920.

A Leicester Mercury article headlined "A New Full-Back" announced the news.

It was a low-key arrival, but Black was to play a leading role in a strong period for the club.

In 1925, he helped them to win the Second Division championship and, in 1929, they missed out on the First Division title by a single point.

Black went on to make a record-breaking 528 appearances for City before his final contract expired in 1935 when he was 37.

Hutchinson also found paperwork which revealed that Black was paid £7-a-week in his last season, with an extra £1 when he played in the first-team. It was £6-a-week during the close season.

After leaving City, Black paid £800 for a newsagent and tobacconist shop in Wilberforce Road, near Filbert Street. He ran the business for 30 years.

Sadly, Black died in August 1981 when he was struck by a train at the age of 83.

Along with other war veterans, Black is being remembered this week by people throughout the county.

But he also has an extra-special place in the heart of City fans.

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
And, from the Daily Mirror, pictures of the man, his boots and his medal:

18+-+Adam+Black%27s+boots+leicester+city.jpg

Last edited:

Kingy_85

He was a full-back who played for us in the 20s and early 30s. He was an ever-present in four seasons and missed just a single game in three more. Three of his four goals were penalties and the fourth a fluke from a free-kick 60 yards out - not a pile-driver, but a long ball into the box that everybody including the opposing keeper misjudged.

It seems to me that he was well worth his place in the side and it was felt that he could well have been selected for Scotland if he had been a bit taller and more solidly built.

He had 16 seasons at Filbert Street and retired at 37 to take over the running of a newsagents in one of the streets off Upperton Road. He carried on that business right up until the 70s when he finally retired aged 75.

He was clearly a very brave man, winning a Distinguished Conduct Medal in the First World War, and then at the age of 59 taking a bride forty two years his younger.

He died in Leicester in 1981, aged 83.

:shock:..... Jeff?

Redditch Fox

Even I am not old enough to claim to have seen Adam Black play - however, I do know that he was a regular attender at City home games in the 60's and 70's.

Aaronb121

Although i have never seen him play i have been told stuff through family members about him, he was my great grandad. My nan told me he wasn't a very nice person but he was obviously a brave person who had a very fulfilling career. He was a solid player and a consistent performer. We had his medals at our house up until about 3 years ago when we handed them into the city ground to be put on display.They were great memorabilia to have, when you picked one up it was like you were holding a brick they were very heavy. My dad Neil (his grandson) is a season ticket holder and goes to games regularly. Although there has been a few articles about him in the papers alot of people haven't actually heard of him or recognise what he has achieved which is a shame, i know its only an league appearance record but its still a great achievement to play so many league games for a club(he's also 3rd in all time appearances). I hope no one breaks the record (in a slight selfish way) because its a great thing to have in the family.

Macky

Gruntled Member
Although i have never seen him play i have been told stuff through family members about him, he was my great grandad. My nan told me he wasn't a very nice person but he was obviously a brave person who had a very fulfilling career. He was a solid player and a consistent performer. We had his medals at our house up until about 3 years ago when we handed them into the city ground to be put on display.They were great memorabilia to have, when you picked one up it was like you were holding a brick they were very heavy. My dad Neil (his grandson) is a season ticket holder and goes to games regularly. Although there has been a few articles about him in the papers alot of people haven't actually heard of him or recognise what he has achieved which is a shame, i know its only an league appearance record but its still a great achievement to play so many league games for a club(he's also 3rd in all time appearances). I hope no one breaks the record (in a slight selfish way) because its a great thing to have in the family.

Welcome to talkingballs Aaronb, has your Nan ever told you what his favourite flavour Monster Munch was?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669