Who do you think...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MHS

...will be England's star performer this Ashes series?

I think Pietersen will be the man.

Probably Pietersen, but ill go for Cook as a surprise choice. He's got the temperament to deal with the Aussies.

imo Bell he struggled a bit last time against the Aussies but he has more experience now and Collingwood will have a big impact.

i think the Aussies will target Pieterson and have a game plan to get him out cheaply, hope i am wrong on this count

Pietersen will be the star. Although I think Cook will be an unsung hero, and will be very solid at the top of the order.

Sounds daft but imo Vaughan could still be our hero. Imagine we are level with the Aussies going into the 3rd test, with Vaughan coming back in. I really believe the Aussies fear Vaughan. His captaincy totally undermined Pontings boys last time round, and the Aussies know hes a capable batsmen because he destroyed the best their bowlers could throw at him in the last series down under. Imo Vaughan is a cool customer who will have the Aussies worried IF he plays.

Sounds daft but imo Vaughan could still be our hero. Imagine we are level with the Aussies going into the 3rd test, with Vaughan coming back in. I really believe the Aussies fear Vaughan. His captaincy totally undermined Pontings boys last time round, and the Aussies know hes a capable batsmen because he destroyed the best their bowlers could throw at him in the last series down under. Imo Vaughan is a cool customer who will have the Aussies worried IF he plays.

I see what you are saying but given that he's barely played cricket for 12 months I think it would be a huge mistake. He's tried comebacks and broken down about 3 times.
He has to earn his place back in the team. His batting record for the past 2 years wasn't any better than the players that are in the side.

Speaking of which, if he walks back into the World Cup side, it will be an absolute farce seeing as he could never bat in ODIs even when fully fit!

I think Cook and Strauss will be the stars in the batting line up, Pieterson and Flintoff will make vital and valuable contributions but due to their flamboyant approach they will have a few failures, where as both Cook and Strauss have the temprement to dig in and build innings.

As for the bowlers, I think Hoggard will be Mr Consistent and if he can get some early swing and seam movement he could cause the Aussie batsmen problems. Panesar will be targetted by the Aussies IMO, but he has ability and I can see him picking up quite a few wickets.

Collingwood's fielding could be key as well, on fast bouncy wickets, he will IMO get a lot of half chances as the batsmen are likely to play a lot flashing, agressive drives which will see the ball flying off into the areas he likes to field. His ability to pull off stunning catches could be key in what is sure to be a tight series.

Although my heart wants us to win my head says that our bowling attack is not good enough! :(

I see what you are saying but given that he's barely played cricket for 12 months I think it would be a huge mistake. He's tried comebacks and broken down about 3 times.
He has to earn his place back in the team. His batting record for the past 2 years wasn't any better than the players that are in the side.

Speaking of which, if he walks back into the World Cup side, it will be an absolute farce seeing as he could never bat in ODIs even when fully fit!

But neither can the other feckers:icon_conf

Marcus Trescothick, without a doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673