Who would replace Levein anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leicesterfan

Leave him alone until end of season. If he signs more useless guys and does a "Peter Taylor" in terms of money spending then well... he'll have to go.

But who would replace him now, Who would want to be manager of us???

the truth is, leicester city is not a desirable club to manage at the moment. The fans are always expecting another o'neil, and anything other than that is unacceptable for some. Taylor wasted all our money, Micky had some woeful tactics, and it looks like CL cannot pick a side. But we got on all of these managers backs very quickly when things began to go wrong. I am not saying we shouldnt criticise CL, but there should not be any crys of 'levein out' just yet, as it will shake up the team and we would only get a even more adequate manager instead...

I dont agree, I still believe that Leicester would appeal to a number of managers currently employed by so called smaller clubs, and the reason being that this club still has potential, the squad contains some decent players who are certainly capable of top half if given the right team selection and tactics, there is a good fan base, 20000 crowds are not bad for bottom half of the championship, although there wont be a great deal of funds available if any, there is however scope within the current squad for some wheeling and dealing. My shortlist would be as follows, and these are IMO geniune and realistic targets :

1) George Burley - currently out of work and IMO would relish the opportunity of returning to management with a club with our facilities and squad.

2) Billy Davies - Preston, We are a bigger club than Preston and whilst tempoarily(sp) they may be in a better position, long term Leicester would provide a better opportunity of managing at a higher level, and he is rumoured to be unhappy.

3) Steve Cotterill - Burnley, No money and he has worked miracles, granted can be negative but he get's results and no doubt given a more talented bunch of players he could really be succesful, excellent eye for a bargain, his management style reminds me of O'Neill.

4) Mark McGhee - Brighton, I know this is controversial, but after the Wolves debacle, IMO McGhee would walk back barefoot to manage Leicester, he knows he owes this club, decent tactician and good eye in the transfer market, plays good football.

5) Mike Newell - Luton, Probable outsider, but Luton appear to be levelling out now, maybe coming to the time where he feels he has taken them as far as he can.

Again look around at the facilities, we are a big club and we have potential this job would still be attractive. All the managers above IMO would be extremely tempted by the offer to manage Leicester City, it is similar to when McGhee left to go to Wolves, they were the bigger draw even though they were struggling. We are a bigger club than any of the above and we would provide a talented manager the platform to manage in the premiership, it is still a decent job.

Last edited:
PFKAKTF FOX said:
5) Mike Newell - Luton, Probable outsider, but Luton appear to be levelling out now, maybe coming to the time where he feels he has taken them as far as he can.
On the park they are levelling out, but a bust up with the board and no new ground development may see Newell leave sooner rather than later...

I have no idea how Newell motivates a team, the guy has zero personality. Having said that, at the moment, I doubt anyone could do worse than CL.

Another option IMO would be Bobby Robson. Seen him on football focus recently, he is desperate to get back into football and like PFKAKTF pointed out leicester, regardless of our position are a club a manager would want to come to.
Don't get much more experienced than this man. Certainly a candidate if CL was to depart.

Like many others I am questioning CL's ability to manage at this level.
Let's just to see who he pulls out the bag in Jan transfer window, allow him till end of season and see where we are.
Cannot see things getting better for us though.

PFKAKTF FOX said:
1) George Burley - currently out of work and IMO would relish the opportunity of returning to management with a club with our facilities and squad.

2) Billy Davies - Preston, We are a bigger club than Preston and whilst tempoarily(sp) they may be in a better position, long term Leicester would provide a better opportunity of managing at a higher level, and he is rumoured to be unhappy.

3) Steve Cotterill - Burnley, No money and he has worked miracles, granted can be negative but he get's results and no doubt given a more talented bunch of players he could really be succesful, excellent eye for a bargain, his management style reminds me of O'Neill.

4) Mark McGhee - Brighton, I know this is controversial, but after the Wolves debacle, IMO McGhee would walk back barefoot to manage Leicester, he knows he owes this club, decent tactician and good eye in the transfer market, plays good football.

Can we afford the compensation we'd have to pay to any of these clubs for stealing their manager?

Of course its all about opinions. Personally out of those five I could only see McGhee and Cotterill coming here, and I wouldn't want either of them!

Newell is still fairly untested at this level, I'm not sure I'd really want him to come here anyway, he's more likely to want to establish himself with Luton and learn the game than switch clubs so quickly.

Burley is now being considered for Premiership jobs, that is the kind of thing he's looking at, not middling Championship clubs, he's been there already.

Davies was linked with the vacancy at Derby but didn't go there, and while our finances may be better than theirs, at the time when Derby had a vacancy they had just been in the playoffs and had a squad in a better position than ours - rivalry aside in all other aspects Derby are equally as big as us with as much potential.

Anyway, the question which new manager might work is surely obsolete anyway, because if we got someone new we'd have to give them time and there is a section of fans unable to do that.

Oh, and I don't want Levein to go anyway!

Last edited:
the thing that concerns me about levein is that it doesnt take miracles for a team to perform well in this division - as teams like burnley, preston and watford have shown if you get organised and have a high work rate you can be pretty successful. fact is that we have some decent players and there is no reason, even in spite of our lack of goals up front - burnley dont exactly score shedloads - that we shouldnt be top half of the table.

i really wonder how well leveins adapted to the championship, i remember being surprised when he first took over as he said that the SPL was a higher standard than the championship as i had always thought, with a few obvious exceptions, that most SPL teams would struggle in this league. i really question whether he has come to grips at all with what is required to be successful down here. having said that i think he should be given more time - but if were still in a bad position come march we should get someone else in so they can have a whole close season with the squad before the next season begins. i hope more than anything though that levein comes good and that in 3 or 4 months were all saying we were wrong

Leigh said:
Can we afford the compensation we'd have to pay to any of these clubs for stealing their manager?

Of course its all about opinions. Personally out of those five I could only see McGhee and Cotterill coming here, and I wouldn't want either of them!

Newell is still fairly untested at this level, I'm not sure I'd really want him to come here anyway, he's more likely to want to establish himself with Luton and learn the game than switch clubs so quickly.

Burley is now being considered for Premiership jobs, that is the kind of thing he's looking at, not middling Championship clubs, he's been there already.

Davies was linked with the vacancy at Derby but didn't go there, and while our finances may be better than theirs, at the time when Derby had a vacancy they had just been in the playoffs and had a squad in a better position than ours - rivalry aside in all other aspects Derby are equally as big as us with as much potential.

Anyway, the question which new manager might work is surely obsolete anyway, because if we got someone new we'd have to give them time and there is a section of fans unable to do that.

Oh, and I don't want Levein to go anyway!

Leigh, I have merely answered the question in the thread, and provided a list of managers I believe we could attract,I know we have a manager in place, but it is blatantly obvious that he is under pressure, I hope he does turn it around but I am not yet convinced so the obvious question is bound to be discussed. Regardless of league position Leicester is a club with potential, a young squad, excellent facilities and a very good fan base, all in all an attractive proposition.

As for my list, IMO Burley will end up back in the championship, possibly at Sheff Utd when and if Warnock leaves for Portsmouth that IMO makes him a viable target and he is out of work so we would be an attractive offer.

Davies is unsettled at Preston, fall out with the chairman over promises made over summer spending at the time of Derby's offer, also he was tempted by the Rams job, things change in football so again I believe he is a gettable target.

Newell has done an excellent job at Luton and is approaching half a seasons experience of championship football, which is half a season more than Levein or even the great MON had when we appointed them.

McGhee and Cotterill - I would be interested as to your reasons for not appointing either. Cotterill has done an amazing job at Burnley under difficult financial restaints and he has unearthed some real gems from the lower divisions like O'Connor and Spicer. McGhee has vast experience at this level and done a very good job at Brighton, again in vert difficult circumstances, surely this is a decent grounding for managing a club such as ours.

As for the question of compensation, I cannot answer that, however in the position we are in can we really afford to take the cheap option, but as it showed last year when MA left we soon found the money when it came to Levein, and traditionally managers compensation is nowhere near the levels of players transfer fees. Davies for instance is on a 12 month rolling contract so the likelihood is that compensation would likely to be 100k - 200k max.

Last edited:
PFKAKTF FOX said:
1) George Burley
2) Billy Davies
3) Steve Cotterill
4) Mark McGhee
5) Mike Newell

I would be happy for any of these managers (apart from possibly McGhee) to replace CL today! but I really dont think they would come here...:102:

I don't think the board are going to get rid just yet. They took the guy on and gave him some very tough pre-requisites to work with. In terms of business performance I think they will see that CL has done a good job. If we have a mediocre season, but survive in this division I think they will accept that. The only fly in the ointment is attendances, they might have hoped for a better average home gate and continued poor results may mean even lower home gates. But I still don't see CL leaving this season unless we become bottom 3 relegation fodder etc.

We are in a rut, heads are down, fans are frustrated, players are nervous, results are poor. It really is the time for these highly paid lightly worked players to stand up and be counted.

However, if he did go, Robson might be a good stop gap to get them motivated and at least playing for each other. Maghee - well I think he is a very good coach and man manager and could be just what we need, but I don't know if we have the stomach to take him back. Burley is damaged goods, Newell - not sure, comes across a bit 2 dimensional. Others - nah.

Last edited:
I doubt if he could survive a run of 3 or 4 successive defeats so it's a fair question to consider a successor. That said, in spite of his limitations, I would prefer CL to get a few results, keep us in the division and provide an opportunity for reflection on the future at the end of the season.

However, if it does come to a change and there is probably more potential in the present squad than CL is currently realising , it would need a stronger personality to energise the squad and sort things out.

I would have thought that Mark McGhee fits the bill. He left the club in a totally insensitive manner but at the end of the day plenty of others have done the same but chosen more diplomatic words, and I just think he would achieve better results.

leicesterfan said:
Leave him alone until end of season. If he signs more useless guys and does a "Peter Taylor" in terms of money spending then well... he'll have to go.

But who would replace him now, Who would want to be manager of us???

I don't think Levein should go, but would you really want to wait to see if he wastes any more of our money like we did with Taylor, I'm sure No one will need reminding about the mess that got us into waiting around to see who he signs.

Country Fox said:
the thing that concerns me about levein is that it doesnt take miracles for a team to perform well in this division - as teams like burnley, preston and watford have shown if you get organised and have a high work rate you can be pretty successful. fact is that we have some decent players and there is no reason, even in spite of our lack of goals up front - burnley dont exactly score shedloads - that we shouldnt be top half of the table.

i really wonder how well leveins adapted to the championship, i remember being surprised when he first took over as he said that the SPL was a higher standard than the championship as i had always thought, with a few obvious exceptions, that most SPL teams would struggle in this league. i really question whether he has come to grips at all with what is required to be successful down here.

I agree with this 100%. :frown: :confused: :icon_sad:

If we lose tomorrow, I reckon he'll be on the way out....

Perrin anyone?

Joke....ahem...

Real Sharapova said:
Reggie??:icon_razz
well he and Cl have quite a bit in common.

reggie faked his own death and CL is faking being a real football manager.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669