why foxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought John of Gaunt was the Earl of Lancaster, or at least according to Shakespeare in Dick II:

"Old John of Gaunt, time-houred Lancater".

He was indeed, he was Earl of Leicester, Lancaster, Lincoln and Derby
1361–1399 (According to Wikipedia)

Always known us to be nicknamed the foxes. I also believe we were called the nuts due to the streets around the old ground being named after nuts (how ironic) filbert st, walnut st and brazil st. We've also been referred to as city, fosse, and a more recently that useless bunch of ****s. One thing I've always wondered (if anyone knows) how the old spion kop got its name? (also known in latter years as the shanks and mcewan stand!)

Always known us to be nicknamed the foxes. I also believe we were called the nuts due to the streets around the old ground being named after nuts (how ironic) filbert st, walnut st and brazil st.

Ironic as in "rayeeeain on your wedding day"?

One thing I've always wondered (if anyone knows) how the old spion kop got its name? (also known in latter years as the shanks and mcewan stand!)

It, and many other stands at grounds around the country, was named after a battle in the *Boer war at Spion Kop in South Africa.

*edit* good old wikipedia

Last edited:
Ironic as in "rayeeeain on your wedding day"?

It, and many other stands at grounds around the country, was named after a battle in the Boer war at Spion Kop in South Africa.

[pedant]
Not actually named after the battle but after the hill (the Spion Kop) that it was fought on. [/pedant]

The Spion Kop gave a good view over the Tugela River, and the road between it and the next hill which the British had to secure in their attempt to cross the Tugela.

It's odd though that the name should have been carried forward in the way it has because it was the scene of an embarrassing defeat. The much larger British force employed quite the wrong tactics and both in percentage and numerical terms lost the greater number of men, although the Boers too were heavily hit - for some time both sides thought they had lost the battle, but by the following day, the British had retreated and the Boers still held the Spion Kop.

So, yes - very odd. Perhaps City should rename the South Stand at the Walkers as the Wycombe Stand - quite the same thing IMHO.

[pedant]
Not actually named after the battle but after the hill (the Spion Kop) that it was fought on. [/pedant]

Yes, the battle of Spion Kop :icon_roll

So just to be clear, the Spion Kop wasn't named after the battle of Spion Kop but rather the hill, namely the Spion Kop, that the battle of Spion Kop was fought on.

That boc, is your most bizarre bout of pedantry to date, I salute you sir. :038:

We were known as the Filberts (hence Filbert Fox) then the Foxes, which I always assumed was to do with the foxhunting tradition of the County

Yes, the battle of Spion Kop :icon_roll

So just to be clear, the Spion Kop wasn't named after the battle of Spion Kop but rather the hill, namely the Spion Kop, that the battle of Spion Kop was fought on.

That boc, is your most bizarre bout of pedantry to date, I salute you sir. :038:

I was trying to make the point about the good view because that is why sporting venue Spion Kops are so-named. You don't get a good view from a battle but you certainly can from a big hill.

<uberpedant>actually, it's Spioenkop</uberpedant>

[meisterpedant] Actually, it's <überpedant> [/meisterpedant]

[normal person] Get a feckin' room you sad feckers [/normal person]

Are we called the Foxes because traditionally our supporters have smelt of their own piss? Something to do with the high proportion of ginger people in the area?

Are we called the Foxes because traditionally our supporters have smelt of their own piss? Something to do with the high proportion of ginger people in the area?

I thought that was Corby. eeerrr... the ginger people and not those who smell of piss.

Kop means hill, adopted by the sloping ground behind a goal, long before terracing

Kop means hill, adopted by the sloping ground behind a goal, long before terracing

Also sometimes spelled with a 'c', as in Mow Cop, just north of Stoke-on-Trent, and Meols Cop (a much smaller hill) near Southport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669