WiFi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend in the force who tells me it isn't a crime

The unauthorised access of data from any computer system is an offence under the computer misuse act of 1990 m'Lud.

So technically speaking, stealing bandwidth alone isn't an offence but accessing the wireless signal to get to the bandwidth is.

So technically speaking, stealing bandwidth alone isn't an offence but accessing the wireless signal to get to the bandwidth is.
It isn't illegal to access a wireless signal, particularly if you are using it for the purpose of which it was intended

It isn't illegal to access a wireless signal, particularly if you are using it for the purpose of which it was intended

Unauthorised, intentional, access to wireless data is an offence under the act, especially if you are using that data to break encryption.

Last edited:
Unauthorised, intentional, access to wireless data is an offence under the act, especially if you are using that data to break encryption.
I'm not talking about encrypted.

Lets say I open up my laptop and I find an unrestricted signal. I'm not trying to break any encryption and there is no visible notice telling me that I'm not authorised to access it and I haven't accessed the hard drive, I am not breaking the law.

I'm not talking about encrypted.

Lets say I open up my laptop and I find an unrestricted signal. I'm not trying to break any encryption and there is no visible notice telling me that I'm not authorised to access it and I haven't accessed the hard drive, I am not breaking the law.

I agree

No you don't, but I'm glad you do.

I saw you had responded and I thought, OMG I can't be fecking bothered I'm too tired, but you beat me to it

Last edited:

Unless there is a notice saying that only authorised persons persons may access the network, any access must surely be deemed authorised? :102:

Unless there is a notice saying that only authorised persons persons may access the network, any access must surely be deemed authorised? :102:
'Ere, that's what I said

Why? Please explain. :102:

Anybody that accesses a network without being given authorisation... is unauthorised.

So does that also mean if you don't have a notice on the door of your house saying only authorised people can enter, anyone can just walk in?
Yes they can, as I found when I had somebody in my house

Why? Please explain. :102:

Anybody that accesses a network without being given authorisation... is unauthorised.

To answer Webbie and you, the determining factor as to whether authorisation is given, is merely down to the openness of the access. In the case of the Webbie question, if the door was open that would be an invitation to come in? N'est-ce pas? Closed door obviously not. ;)

With regard to the open network that literally anyone can connect to, surely the same principle could be applied? If I can get access to it, and connect to it without encountering any obstacle then by extension I must be authorised to connect to it and use it. :102:

Lastly much like the closed door scenario above if the entity providing the network wants to only have authorised users then they would need to implement a mechanism, a closed door.

if the door was open that would be an invitation to come in? N'est-ce pas? Closed door obviously not. ;).
Close but not entirely accurate.

My door was closed, and the intruder came in. If it was locked and he broke in he could be charged with breaking and entering.

If the intruder doesn't break anything to gain access, then he has committed no crime.

****ing crazy

Does trespass not count as a crime then?

So all those signs saying trespassers will be prosecuted are bollocks?

Most of them are just that - BOLLOCKS!

Trespass is a civil matter and not a criminal offence, except in certain specific circumstances, e.g. trespass on railway, MOD land, educational premises and some other places. If I were just to trespass in your garden or a farmer's field, it's not a crime.

Last edited:
Most of them are just that - BOLLOCKS!

Trespass is a civil matter and not a criminal offence, except in certain specific circumstances, e.g. trespass on railway, MOD land, educational premises and some other places. If I were just to trespass in your garden or a farmer's field, it's not a crime.

But as a civil offence you can take legal action against someone - and presumably Melton could have done that if he'd wanted. Not that it would have done him any good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669