Windows Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

From Gradel to Grave

I had Windows Vista Home Premium put on my computer about a month ago now.

This morning I was prompted to re-enter the product code and am on limited functionality. Having a six year old the sticker on the base of the computer has been battered so to speak.

I can make out most, but not all, of the code.

Not sure what to do! :icon_conf

Any help would be enormously gratefully received.

This morning I was prompted to re-enter the product code and am on limited functionality. Having a six year old the sticker on the base of the computer has been battered so to speak.

You could always try calling MS on 0870 60 10 100. Failing that, the licence number should be on/with the disk that the install was done from.

When you say it was put onto your PC, by who and how was it installed? Do you have the DVD case as this will have the product code on it.
But to be honest, it shouldn't be prompting you for this if it was installed and activated correctly. So you might want to go back to whoever installed it.

Last edited:
Thanks, Guys. :038:

I needed my hard drive replacing and took it to a local shop who installed it there.

I popped in today and he said this can happen sometimes if you install hardware but I haven't got any. Not even a printer.

I suspect that it wasn't activated (properly) when it was installed and has now exceeded the 30 days allowed for activation. I would get back on to the shop. As for this happening when you add new hardware. I can honesly say that I have never come across this (and I work in IT Support).

I popped in today and he said this can happen sometimes if you install hardware but I haven't got any. Not even a printer.

That would only happen if you changed internal components, like the motherboard, after it was activated

I needed my hard drive replacing and took it to a local shop who installed it there.

hmmm, actually, I wonder if he installed a hard drive with Vista preinstalled on it and just swapped it into your PC? That would explain why it has started giving you ire, because the motherboard will be different from what it was originally activated with.

When you say it was put onto your PC, by who and how was it installed? Do you have the DVD case as this will have the product code on it.
But to be honest, it shouldn't be prompting you for this if it was installed and activated correctly. So you might want to go back to whoever installed it.

Thanks for the help, guys. :038::038: It looks like I may be at fault on this one. Given the 'customer service' I received the first time I went in you can hardly blame me for expecting the worst of the shop.

It seems the Windows licence I had was the original installed on the laptop before I bought it. It was difficult to tell what he had done for me as the bill wasn't itemised and he seemed to be making the figures up as he went along. They had also written Vista on the front and when I logged in the programme was a more updated version.

I'm still angry about the first time I went there and won't go again. They forgot to carry out the work and I collected it and brought the lap top home before discovering this. When I returned he was rude and told me in no uncertain terms that he didn't make mistakes and that if he said work would be done it would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566