Post Match Wolves 0 Leicester 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
The idea that the Premier League is shit this season appears to have come about because most of the big clubs are underperforming. **** ‘em.

We’re about to to see a side win their first title in thirty years. The competition from 4th to 19th is wide open. All English sides are through to the knock out stages of European competition and, last season, all four European finalists were from the Premier League.

Sky and co spent years wanking on about the Premier League being the best in the world when La Liga (and even the Bundesliga, fleetingly) was streets ahead and now the evidence points to the Premier League being the strongest league in the world people are falling over themselves to tell us how bad it is.

The one thing lacking this season is a title race. Italy and Germany have them this time around, but both have been dominated by a single side for 7-8 years so it’s about time really. Spain might get a new winner but it’s still going to be one of the two sides who always take the title. No other major league has a more interesting competition to qualify for Europe than the Premier League this season and none have as open a relegation scrap either.

There’s a lot to criticise about the Premier League. I’m a big detractor, generally. But I suspect there would be no conversation about the quality of the division if the teams challenging for Champions’ League spots were Man Utd and Arsenal rather than Leicester and Sheff Utd.

I recall the reason why we won the title was all down to the fact that the so called big 6 were all off their game that season, all last night proved was that without Ndidi we lack the confidence to move the ball at pace, Maddison hardly ventured into the pocket between their mid and defence I think it was down to not leaving a gaping whole in the midfield, odd as we outnumbered until the red card.

Choudry has been shown to be lacking although he has not played consistently so can be afforded some slack where he can not however is in his positional acumen, he was appalling at set pieces and was at fault for their disallowed goal and countless other set pieces in the first half.

I am still confident we creep over the line I am really concerned about our lack of intent and will to take risks on the ball.

I think we’ll get over the line quite comfortably. It’s unlikely that we’ll play this badly for the rest of the season but even if we do it’s difficult to see two (or three pending Man City’s appeal) suddenly becoming good enough to overhaul the double digit gap we’ve built.

If Man City lose their appeal they’ll probably chuck the league by experimenting with personnel and tactics more than they otherwise would have and we’ll finish second.

Try to remember that Man City lost to these. They have a game plan and stick to it every single match regardless of opposition. They'll shithouse a win against some bigger teams but manage to shithouse a draw against some duffers too. They're a sexier version of Burnley....I've nowt against that FWIW, it's just difficult to read too much into how you do against them.

Me too. Although I said to someone at work today he was a red card waiting to happen, and tonight was likely to be the night.

Feel sorry for Vardy, runs his nuts off all night and gets no service at all. Sort it out please Brenda.
I actually thought he was poor. Forgot he was playing for the first 20 minutes.
We are fixated with playing down the wings and teams know this so most of our attacks grind to a halt.

We hardly ever play forward through the middle and that's often because Vardy is looking to run on to a ball played through rather than sometimes playing with his back to the goal and bringing others into play.

That's also probably because our midfield are missing Wilf and don't trust themselves going too far up the pitch to link up with Vards.

Vardy doesn’t run his bits off anymore
Tonight I thought it was a game for Nacho man
Totally agree. Nacho does hold the ball up and is less one dimensional.
Vards also doesn't win many headers like he used to in previous seasons.

I recall the reason why we won the title was all down to the fact that the so called big 6 were all off their game that season, all last night proved was that without Ndidi we lack the confidence to move the ball at pace, Maddison hardly ventured into the pocket between their mid and defence I think it was down to not leaving a gaping whole in the midfield, odd as we outnumbered until the red card.

Choudry has been shown to be lacking although he has not played consistently so can be afforded some slack where he can not however is in his positional acumen, he was appalling at set pieces and was at fault for their disallowed goal and countless other set pieces in the first half.

I am still confident we creep over the line I am really concerned about our lack of intent and will to take risks on the ball.
Hamza should easily have won the header for their disallowed goal. He's tall and can jump high and head the ball well. Why he doesn't or can't do it against set pieces and corners is a mystery and is costing us.

Vardy shouldn’t be playing at the moment. If we are going to play slow and patient football we need somebody up front who will drop deep to give us more numbers in the build up and more opportunity to create chances by outnumbering the opposition in forward positions. Vardy is brilliant but he isn’t that player and is a bit out of sorts.

Give Iheanacho a run. We need more than one way of playing and that means being brave enough to use different types of players.

Totally agree. Nacho does hold the ball up and is less one dimensional.
Vards also doesn't win many headers like he used to in previous seasons.

In fairness to Vardy he doesn’t press like he used to because he’s older and wants to keep his energy for running in behind. Without that ability he’s done, so it’s sensible.

In fairness to Vardy he doesn’t press like he used to because he’s older and wants to keep his energy for running in behind. Without that ability he’s done, so it’s sensible.
More sensible to not play him if we no longer play in a way that suits him.

It's absurd how quickly people lose faith in our greatest ever striker. Hasn't he proved himself to you all yet?

Two points.

1. He's still the Premier League top goalscorer.
2. He has scored 5 of our last 9 league goals against our next opponent.

Dropping him is insane. Dropping him against Man City is double insane.

Vardy is a huge asset and we’ve seen this season that, when we play in a way which suits his game, he’ll score plenty. When we approach the game the way we did before Christmas he has to start. If not, then Iheanacho can start. We need to do both.

That’s assuming our change in style is deliberate and not a result of players being less confident in their form and just being more cautious in possession.

It's absurd how quickly people lose faith in our greatest ever striker. Hasn't he proved himself to you all yet?

Two points.

Bang on the money

It’s wibble nonsense of the very highest order

Two points.

Who has lost faith in him? My argument is that our current style isn’t getting anything out of him and Iheanacho might do better. Given that Vardy has also lost form, it isn’t outrageous to think he’s brilliant but think some time out won’t do any harm at the same time.

Regarding their disallowed goal.
From what I understand, every time the taker of a short corner receives the ball back from the player he has passed to then he is off side, regardless of his position on the pitch when he receives the ball. Because the corner taker is always coming back from an offside position.
Is that correct?

Regarding their disallowed goal.
From what I understand, every time the taker of a short corner receives the ball back from the player he has passed to then he is off side, regardless of his position on the pitch when he receives the ball.
Is that correct?
No. He's offside if he's in an offside position when the ball is played to him. The fact that he's taken a corner is irrelevant.

No. He's offside if he's in an offside position when the ball is played to him. The fact that he's taken a corner is irrelevant.
I based that on what they appeared to say on bt sport coverage. Because the corner taker is always coming back from an offside position. Must have misunderstood.

Two points.

Spot on. It's absolutely insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4366