Post Match Wolves 2 Leicester 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
This season is about two things:

1. don’t get relegated
2. go as far as possible in Europa conference league

Yep, that’s about it

We did alright today and made more than enough chances to win it. But we ****ed them all up horribly, and then very nicely stood in line in our own box watching them shoot from where they want to

Albrighton, Ricardo and Lookman were excellent. Youri very hot, then very cold

Thomas and Ndidi struggled

Daka was ****ing awful

Fine margins in quite a few games this season. Obviously, the focus is on our defending at set pieces but our terrible attempts from our own set pieces needs the same focus. We're so poor at attacking free kicks and corners. There were a lot of opportunities today and we made nothing of them yet again.

Doesn’t really matter what we do at the minute. Wolves were genuinely poor today and yet we were level with them for a total of 34 minutes.

We’re never more than a couple of passes or missed tackles away from conceding a goal. The rot started long before this season did and it extends a long way beyond not being very good at defending set pieces or having injuries.

We lost to a team who were really poor on the day and that’s still a lot more than I expected. I’m not really bothered about how the rest of the season goes and I wouldn’t be remotely surprised if we’re scrabbling for survival in the last few games. For the amount he earns, it’s clear that Rodgers can’t make it better. ****ed if I know whether binning out on sacking him is worth the hassle.

Nice end to a week of having Covid.

Very good performance overall and good work rate. We should have scored at least one more given the number of good chances we had. It is now a confidence thing and we need to work hard.

Lookman was very good and KDH too. Perreira was good but not match fit. Albrighton did all you could ask of him. Soyuncu was solid.

Some world class passes from Youri.

They scored from two ‘wonder strikes’ with the second one seeing Kasper unsighted by our own player.

That performance was very promising and it appears BR hasn’t lost the players.

Very good overall and unlucky to lose.

We just did.
No. We didn’t. We are on the same points as this morning. Playing better counts for nothing when you can’t defend and can’t score either. If we are now measuring success in this way, we’ll be going down mumbling about how well we played.

Watching the replay, Dewsbury-Hall was totally done for the winner wasn't he? He was sold the dummy completely and so couldn't close the shot down. I guess that's inexperience.

Which brings me back to my original view, which is that we aren’t going to get better under this manager. Its Going to be a slow painful death I can see.

No. We didn’t. We are on the same points as this morning. Playing better counts for nothing when you can’t defend and can’t score either. If we are now measuring success in this way, we’ll be going down mumbling about how well we played.
We did score and have been doing regularly. We defended better and bar a free header we didn’t give them much.

We were better, we just need to fluke a result.

It is very rare for this kind of slump to end without a change in manager, unfortunately.

We did score and have been doing regularly. We defended better and bar a free header we didn’t give them much.

We were better, we just need to fluke a result.
And that’s the problem (and my point). We aren’t going to get better under this manager. if we are now hoping to fluke a win, that isn’t progress.

Leicester City manager Brendan Rodgers: "Sometimes after you lose there is disappointment or frustration but I am very enthused. I have seen us starting to see us return to our levels of play and creativity. It is just disappointing, they had two shots from outside the box and it's two goals.

"It is never ideal [to go behind early] but it shows you the courage and spirit of the players that we played our way into the game again, looked dangerous and got the equaliser.

"Our mantra is about having the ball and being progressive. The triangles down the side of the pitch worked really well for us.

"Our movement and brightness in the final third was good, we just lacked that position for our final effort on goal. I was really pleased with the quality at times, the spirit and work rate.

"If you look at the winless run it should already be over. Today it was just keeping the performance level up."

Which brings me back to my original view, which is that we aren’t going to get better under this manager. Its Going to be a slow painful death I can see.
When you’ve been largely shit for an entire year, like we have, it’s hard to look beyond slight improvements and narrow defeats when you’re still not picking up points.

We’ve won twice away from home all season, against Norwich and Brentford and both of those were squeaked. Like you say it’s really creeping up on us.

Very good performance overall and good work rate. We should have scored at least one more given the number of good chances we had. It is now a confidence thing and we need to work hard.

Lookman was very good and KDH too. Perreira was good but not match fit. Albrighton did all you could ask of him. Soyuncu was solid.

Some world class passes from Youri.

They scored from two ‘wonder strikes’ with the second one seeing Kasper unsighted by our own player.

That performance was very promising and it appears BR hasn’t lost the players.

Very good overall and unlucky to lose.
Agree with most of that. Except let's be clear... neither of the wolves goals were 'wonder' strikes. Kasper should have done better with both in my opinion.

Oh and Nacho was ****ing diabolical when he came on. That’s why he doesn’t start.

He’d be doing fine if the manager had showed him some faith and respect at the start of the season but as it’s turned out it’s been another write off of a season for him.

Fine margins in quite a few games this season. Obviously, the focus is on our defending at set pieces but our terrible attempts from our own set pieces needs the same focus. We're so poor at attacking free kicks and corners. There were a lot of opportunities today and we made nothing of them yet again.
Two things I’ve been mulling since the game. One of them was this. It was nothing short of amateur today. I don’t think any of them led remotely to an attempt at goal.

The other, and again not a new point, is our clear lack of leadership on the pitch. There’s just nothing. No one rallying, no one organising. Cags strolls around the pitch as if he’s the new boy still and yet he should be leading the defence as a well capped international. Wilf is just not bossing the midfield and I think has got off lightly this year given how many shots and attacks we concede, and the pressure this causes.

Fact is we are pretty toothless up front without Vardy. It’s ****ing dreadful

And we haven’t kept a clean sheet away from home in the League for over a year

Not rocket science to see why we are shit

Tell me where I mentioned our defence?
Apologies - ‘defend like that’ I took as meaning the defence.
I really don’t think we can or should be too hard on the whole team (inc Brendan) today. We battered Wolves. Probably the polar opposite of the opening game of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669