World Cup 2018 - Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shame it's not us. Have to wait until 2030, that's horrible! I'll be in my forties, and having to take kids to games! Oh dear. And obviously we might not even get it then.

Suprised that we got the least votes! I don't really understand why...

Russia... hmm. Better hope Rooney isn't in the squad by then.

Shame it's not us. Have to wait until 2030, that's horrible! I'll be in my forties, and having to take kids to games! Oh dear. And obviously we might not even get it then.

Suprised that we got the least votes! I don't really understand why...

Russia... hmm. Better hope Rooney isn't in the squad by then.

Feck, I'll be 54 then :icon_eek:

Won't be far off taking grandchildren to the games

1703: So two people who voted for Netherlands/Belgium in round one then switched allegiances to Russia in round two even though Neth/Bel were still involved. I don't really understand that.

Suggests we were never going to win.

Out of all the countries, I had to be one which is corrupt from top to bottom and a rotten, openly racist society.

Strange decision.

After the risky selection of South Africa and Brazil you might have thought FIFA would go for a 'safe' bet.

The voters seem more drawn by the ambitious bids than they are the safer ones. Perhaps if we proposed to hold the tournament on the moon we might be in with a chance.

The moon stood no chance because there is no money there. It does not matter who puts in the best bid. A large number of voters come from countries where "greasing the palm is a way of life". This plays into the hands of a country like Russia where you expect to pay for decisions to go your way. It may be that Putin's Russia made a scrupulously honest bid but if so it was totally out of character.

I did not vote for Cameron but I feel he was right to back the bid. Prince William is, I hear, genuinely interested in football and riding a wave of goodwill at the moment and therefore a good ambassador. David Beckham is known throughout the football world.
I have no quarrel with our bid team because I would not want our society to stoop to the level of Putin's Russia.

Incidentally the low gravity on the moon would make for some really fun matches.

Watching SSN is hilarious! "England are favourites with skybet!".

5 minutes later "unconfirmed report that England went out in the first round of votes"

Its clearly nobody outside of England ever felt we had a ****ing chance.

Were the England bid team so out of the loop that they didn't understand that we had no chance - or did they know but wouldn't dare tell us before the vote?

The fact that they roped in Cameron & royalty to maximise the embarrassment of an abject failure suggests that they were not focussed on reality.

Were the England bid team so out of the loop that they didn't understand that we had no chance - or did they know but wouldn't dare tell us before the vote?

The fact that they roped in Cameron & royalty to maximise the embarrassment of an abject failure suggests that they were not focussed on reality.

Two votes. Assuming Thompson was one, who the feck was the
other?

The Becks/Cameron/Royal Sprog lineup was a total joke from first to last - presumably Mr Bean wasn't available.

No its because idiots in this country would clearly only bet on our bid, hence why the odds got slashed.

Two votes. Assuming Thompson was one, who the feck was the
other?

The Becks/Cameron/Royal Sprog lineup was a total joke from first to last - presumably Mr Bean wasn't available.

Why was it a joke? Beckham is arguably our best known footballer. Cameron and William were a way of showing the government and country were behind the bid.
I remember a time when the South African bid was led by Nelson Mandela and the British bid by the oafish Tony Banks - now then we were a total joke.

I'll bet all those people saying that Russia and FIFA are corrupt are feeling pretty foolish now

I'll bet all those people saying that Russia and FIFA are corrupt are feeling pretty foolish now

I bet they're feeling vindicated.

Thats what they get for choosing Milton Keynes as a world cup venue.

Why was it a joke? Beckham is arguably our best known footballer. Cameron and William were a way of showing the government and country were behind the bid.
I remember a time when the South African bid was led by Nelson Mandela and the British bid by the oafish Tony Banks - now then we were a total joke.

Though I doubt whether made any difference to clinch the argument that would have snaffled vote number 3, Cameron's newly discovered devotion to sport hadn't stopped his government announcing they were slashing spending on schools sports only a week ago.

I presume you're talking about the 2006 WC, where at least we got past the first round - before it went to Germany, not South Africa. It's also recognised that Tony Banks' experience in trying to pull the squabbling rabble of English football together, was the major formative influence on the brilliant campaign that got London the 2012 Olympics.

As for Beckham, hearing his pitch that we should have the World Cup because his dead granddad would have liked it, made me realise that basing a bid on the tactics used in X-factor was inexplicably not going to succeed,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669