World Cup Final - Spain vs The Netherlands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Squidist.

Ah, I'm pleased that someone spotted what I had done.

Of course, the play on words only works if you say "six quid" out loud, and also if you understand the close taxonomic relationship between the squid and the octopus as hinted at by the word cousin.

Thank you

Of course, the play on words only works if you say "six quid" out loud

Is there an optimum decibel level OG? It's just that I had to say this several times at varying volumes before my friend understood it. Even then I was not totally convinced so I printed out your very capable reply and showed it to him.

Mind you, he is deaf.

For anyone who loves History world cups are wonderful. Spain v Netherlands is one for connoisseurs of History. The average Dutch has a grasp of History that puts most English to shame. They will know that Philip II of Spain (famous here for the Armada) condemned the whole Dutch nation to death and did his best to carry out the threat.

You will notice that the Spanish national anthem has no words since the Communists and Fascists could not agree on the words/

However the words of the Dutch national anthem make up for the Spanish silence. It begins with the statement that Holland has always been loyal to the King of Spain. This is deceptive. It is code for saying that the war between Spain and the Dutch is all the fault of the Spanish. Later in the anthem it accuses the Spanish of raping the Netherlands but never fear because the Dutch will get them.

Ah, I'm pleased that someone spotted what I had done.

Of course, the play on words only works if you say "six quid" out loud, and also if you understand the close taxonomic relationship between the squid and the octopus as hinted at by the word cousin.

Thank you
Old Git expressed his delight that a fellow poster remembered a joke which first surfaced back around the time Whittle invented the jet engine.

He then went on to affirm his advancing years by suggesting that the joke only worked if verbalised at volume, a common trait amongst the elderly. This was further cemented by his compulsion to explain how close the squid and the octopus are genetically, despite it being obvious even to the likes of Kerry Katona..

He then sealed the deal through a display of superfluous politeness.

Old Git expressed his delight that a fellow poster remembered a joke which first surfaced back around the time Whittle invented the jet engine.

He then went on to affirm his advancing years by suggesting that the joke only worked if verbalised at volume, a common trait amongst the elderly. This was further cemented by his compulsion to explain how close the squid and the octopus are genetically, despite it being obvious even to the likes of Kerry Katona..

Thank you for explaining.

I thanked Rhydal for explaining.

Rhydal has here shown a rare comedic talen by using a multi-layered approach.
First he uses the common devices of equating age with physical impairment (here deafness) and of using an historic event or person to indicate that a joke is far from original.
However the choice of Sir Frank Whittle leads us to spot another layer in that the motion techniques of many cephalopods have traditionally been used to explain the theory behind the jet propulsion engine. The clue lies in the fact that the squid joke actually predates Sir Frank by some margin

Rhydal has here shown a rare comedic talen by using a multi-layered approach.
First he uses the common devices of equating age with physical impairment (here deafness) and of using an historic event or person to indicate that a joke is far from original.
However the choice of Sir Frank Whittle leads us to spot another layer in that the motion techniques of many cephalopods have traditionally been used to explain the theory behind the jet propulsion engine. The clue lies in the fact that the squid joke actually predates Sir Frank by some margin

OldGit goes on to explain something that I can't be arsed to either read or understand, but I'm sure it goes on to demonstrate his point both eloquently and humourously.

Thank god the choice of channels to watch it on tonight - needless to say I wont be watching that brummie tosser Chiles.

Harbro, I do hope you had money on it. And we need evidence.

I've heard he tried to put a monkey on it.
But the bookies told him that they don't accept soft toys, so he brought Topov home and put him back on his bed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669