Yeovil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised no one's started this before yet so even though i'm a newby i'll start it up.

Hendo

Edworthy
Morrison
Tunchev
Mattock

Dyer
Berner
King
Oakley

Fryatt
Howard

Subs: Martin Dickov Hobbs Gradel Hayles

City to win 4-1 - Fryatt 2, tunchev and King

I am interested that you don't have an orthodox right wing like on Saturday. I hope you are right and Nigel starts with this line-up which I thought impressive against Stevenage. It would be interesting to see how it fared against League 1 teams. If it is not working Nigel can always bring on Gradel or Adams.

what i'd like to see and what i'll see will be completely different. Heres what i'd like to see...

--------------------------Henderson-----------------------

---------Morrison----------Tunchev----------Hobbs--------

Adams----------Oakley----------------Mattock---------Dyer

-------------------Dickov-------------Fryatt---------------

----------------------------Howard------------------------

Subs:
Martin
King
Campbell
Edworthy
Gradel

I am interested that you don't have an orthodox right wing like on Saturday. I hope you are right and Nigel starts with this line-up which I thought impressive against Stevenage. It would be interesting to see how it fared against League 1 teams. If it is not working Nigel can always bring on Gradel or Adams.

Thought i'd go for something that we do at my sunday morning football team and not play with a winger. tend to go for 3 centre mids and have 1 to drop over on right if needed but tend to go through the middle where we should have an extra man. works for us but i suspect they are slightly better than my local sunday morning pub team.

Worked fine on saturday with oakley out on the right more. worth a try i suspect.

Worked fine on saturday with oakley out on the right more.

Not in the first half it didn't - and only worked in the second half because a very poor opposition side completely fell to pieces

Yeovil will be a very different prospect tonight

playing without wingers has been our downfall for the past few seasons. if we start resorting to this again i am going to pull my hair out! playing without a winger makes a team one dimensional. playing with wingers means you can go through the middle or down the flanks. this stretches the game and creates the spaces needed. name me one successful team that don't play with wingers.....i can't think of any?

Not in the first half it didn't - and only worked in the second half because a very poor opposition side completely fell to pieces

Yeovil will be a very different prospect tonight

I thought it worked ok on saturday but i take your point. I just think imo that apart from the first 2-3 games of the season, we have been ineffective on the right and i'd try summat different. no harm in trying it for first half tonight and if it isn't working then change it at half time. if its galringly obvious after the first 15 mins then drop king or oakley on the right until half time where u can make the change then. :102:

playing without wingers has been our downfall for the past few seasons. if we start resorting to this again i am going to pull my hair out! playing without a winger makes a team one dimensional. playing with wingers means you can go through the middle or down the flanks. this stretches the game and creates the spaces needed. name me one successful team that don't play with wingers.....i can't think of any?

Chelsea? Liverpool? You could argue weather u see cole as an out an out winger or kuyt at liverpool for that matter. I wouldn't call cole an out and out winger along the lines of ronaldo at utd or walcott at arsenal. i'd say a lot of their goals com thorough the middle in lampard, deco and essien or gerrard and alonso at the scousers.

We've also been very effective with dyer on the wing so we are not completely losing our width. its just the majority is going down 1 side.

Chelsea? Liverpool? You could argue weather u see cole as an out an out winger or kuyt at liverpool for that matter. I wouldn't call cole an out and out winger along the lines of ronaldo at utd or walcott at arsenal. i'd say a lot of their goals com thorough the middle in lampard, deco and essien or gerrard and alonso at the scousers.

We've also been very effective with dyer on the wing so we are not completely losing our width. its just the majority is going down 1 side.

it has been argued for the past few seasons that liverpools downfall has been a lack of width - so what do they do this season - bring in riera. chelsea may not play out and out wingers but the players in this position are world class. at leicester we are talking about playing players on the winger who do not have either the ability of the nouse to perform in that position. chelsea had one of their most successful seasons - winning the league and carling cup - when they had arjen robben and damien duff.

Although I thought Oakley did well on the right against Stevenage. I don't think we've got a good enough midfielder to replace him in the centre. Berner isn't that player.

We have, however, got two wingers who have had varying levels of success in this division this season. Adams and Gradel. I'll recall one of them in the place of Berner.

BTW; I think Berner will do a job for us at left back when given the chance - just not midfield.

it has been argued for the past few seasons that liverpools downfall has been a lack of width - so what do they do this season - bring in riera. chelsea may not play out and out wingers but the players in this position are world class. at leicester we are talking about playing players on the winger who do not have either the ability of the nouse to perform in that position. chelsea had one of their most successful seasons - winning the league and carling cup - when they had arjen robben and damien duff.

Liverpool have bought Riera in but a lot of the goals come from alonso and in particular Gerrard and Kuyt. My arguement is floored on the chelsea front because they won more trophies with robben and duff but its strange that they've got rid of these 2 and imo are a better team without them although the trophies won suggest otherwise.

Have many of our goals come from the right? not many i believe. It tends to come from the left or through the middle. With that extra man in the middle, would we not create more through this?

I'm probably wrong ( usually am :icon_bigg) but its just another option we could try.

Liverpool have bought Riera in but a lot of the goals come from alonso and in particular Gerrard and Kuyt. My arguement is floored on the chelsea front because they won more trophies with robben and duff but its strange that they've got rid of these 2 and imo are a better team without them although the trophies won suggest otherwise.

Have many of our goals come from the right? not many i believe. It tends to come from the left or through the middle. With that extra man in the middle, would we not create more through this?

I'm probably wrong ( usually am :icon_bigg) but its just another option we could try.

First of all Max Gradel is 7th in the league one assists for this season (with 5 in total). Not too bad considering he hasn't played a great deal!

secondly, just because the goals come through the middle it doesn't mean the wide players arn't having an impact. If we don't pose a threat down the flanks then the opposition can concentrate their defensive efforts down the middle (i.e. play a more narrow back four). If we have a threat on the flanks this creates space regardless. A full back will naturally play closer to a threatening out and out winger and in doing so create more space for the central players.

I would say our most successful form this season has come when we have played with out and out wingers - the problem we have is that gradel has lost confidence and there is nobody to really replace him.

Last edited:
I would say our most successful form this season has come when we have played with out and out wingers - the problem we have is that gradel has lost confidence and there is nobody to really replace him.

Yes there is - Nicky Adams

One of our strengths (?) this season has indeed been the width. Without it we simply hoof it up to Howard who flicks it on to no one, because we don't have that type of player playing off him.

Removing the right winger on Saturday simply didn't work in the first half, and we pretty much finished the game back at 4-4-2. The only reason Oakley succeeded there was because the opposition were totally shite

Adams back on the right wing, please Mr Pearson, and Oakley back in the middle

Last edited:
Homer....i'll go with your recommendation because I haven't seen the guy. I do think that Gradel will come good again. He just needs the confidence.

Henderson

Edworthy
Tunchev
Morrison
Mattock

Adams
Oakley
King
Dyer

Fryatt
Howard

Get the **** into 'em and batter the Dorset lot 26-0.

tonight i think is a bit of a litmus test for the season.
we've played poorly lately, with our flair players not delivering the cut through they did in early season and injuries robbing us of any options.

tonight will hopefully be a different story and see us at the top of the table after 1/3 of the season. Projecting forward - if we maintained this level of form we'd reach a minimum of 93 points which would be easily enough to see us promoted automatically.

henderson

Gilbert Morrisson Tunchev Mattock

Adams Oakley King Dyer

Howard Fryatt

Subs: Martin, Dickov, Gradel, Berner, Campbell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389