You will not believe this...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtonfox

from the os

Defenders Joe Mattock and Richard Stearman are celebrating call-ups to the England Under-21 squad.

Mattock (17), who only signed a new three-year deal at Leicester City on Friday, had initially been named in the Under-19s for their friendly against Germany on Wednesday.

But following withdrawals from Stuart Pearce's side after the weekend's action, he has been promoted to the Under-21s for the two crucial upcoming UEFA European Championship Qualifiers along with 20-year-old Stearman.

Pearce's side will host Bulgaria on Friday (November 16) at Milton Keynes (6pm) before travelling to Agueda for the clash against Portugal next Tuesday (November 20 - 9pm).

If Mattock and/or Stearman play a part then they will become the first Foxes players to represent England Under-21s since Jordan Stewart.

Stewart came on as a substitute in March 2003 when the Under-21s played Portugal in a 2004 European Championship qualifier.

And the duo, who have both come through the Academy ranks at the club, were understandably delighted with the news.

Mattock said: "The call-up came out of the blue but I found it hard to contain my excitement.

"I immediately got on the phone to my family and friends to pass on the good news.

"My target this season was always to get as many games as possible and the rewards would hopefully follow.

"For a 17-year-old to be included in an Under-21 squad is a dream come true but I certainly won't be getting carried away."

Stearman, who has previously played for England Under-17s, 18s and 19s, added: "I'm delighted with the news - to represent my country has always been a target of mine.

"I've enjoyed a good run of games for the first-team of late and have been pleased with the way things have been going.

"So to be selected to play for England at Under-21 level is an honour and a privilege and I am determined to give it 100 per cent and prove my worth."

Academy Manager Jon Rudkin added: "It is a great honour for Joe and Richard.

"It will prove to be a great experience for them; working in and around some of the Premier League's top young players.

"The call-up is recognition of all their hard work and effort and hopefully they will benefit from the experience."

Mattock has played 11 games for the Foxes first-team to date while Stearman made his 100th appearance during the 1-1 draw at Preston last Tuesday.

they must have got it wrong :bang:

Last edited:
Re: You will not belive this...........

I believe it Newts, I believe everything you tell me.

Re: You will not belive this...........

I think this just goes to prove wrong all those idiots who wanted Stuart Pearce to be our new manager.

****ing ridiculous bet pearce has never seen stearman play.

Last edited:
I know he doesn't have many fans but i think Stearman's a decent player with a bright future.

*ducks iminent barrage of abuse

Cant belive stearman is going to represent his country,Pearce was at the scunthorpe game wasnt he?

Well done mattock though:)

Well done to both of the lads! Means I'll definetely be watching that one on Friday now. It's on Sky before the full team play Austria.

Hope they both get to play a part

If Stearman really is "pleased with the way things have been going" then I don't think his future is really that bright. Anyway, England U21s is scarcely a benchmark for future glory, is it Trevor?

Congrats to Mattock and I hope he can keep his progress up.

Well done to both of the lads! Means I'll definetely be watching that one on Friday now. It's on Sky before the full team play Austria.

Hope they both get to play a part

they wont play.

I know he doesn't have many fans but i think Stearman's a decent player with a bright future.

*ducks iminent barrage of abuse

I personally don't think he's the worst out there, not the best, but a few are worse

If Stearman really is "pleased with the way things have been going" then I don't think his future is really that bright. Anyway, England U21s is scarcely a benchmark for future glory, is it Trevor?

Congrats to Mattock and I hope he can keep his progress up.

Why congratulate him if it isn't a "benchmark"?

FFS! Lay off him! We should be celebrating the fact that one of our players has been called up.

Well done Richard. :038:

Fcuk off Richard you chimp faced twat!!

Is it me or does it seem like the majority of people employed in Football are completely retarded?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570