5th Ashes test v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brauny Blue

Thought i'd start the thread early seeing that England have some major problems to sort out after the 4th test disaster.

The England selectors hopes of sending players back to their counties to try and regain some form, seems to have failed.

Bopara who appears to be the most obvious fall guy faced just 7 balls against Middlesex , and was out for 1.

Cook who has struggled in the Ashes was out for 4.

Bell who like Bopara faces the chop, was also out for just 1.

Of the possible replacements, Trott only scored 15.

Looks like Key, and possibly Ramps are in line for recalls.

Thought i'd start the thread early seeing that England have some major problems to sort out after the 4th test disaster.

The England selectors hopes of sending players back to their counties to try and regain some form, seems to have failed.

Bopara who appears to be the most obvious fall guy faced just 7 balls against Middlesex , and was out for 1.

Cook who has struggled in the Ashes was out for 4.

Bell who like Bopara faces the chop, was also out for just 1.

Of the possible replacements, Trott only scored 15.

Looks like Key, and possibly Ramps are in line for recalls.

I would estimate Ramprakash's chances at 5%; Key maybe 20%; Trott at 40%.

About 50/50 on any 1 batting change and I can't see there being more than 1.

I'm not advocating this but the selectors don't like change if they can avoid it and they will see Flintoff at 7 as a strengthening measure - I wouldn't be surprised if they re-arrange the deck chairs to have Bell at 4, Collingwood at 4 and Bopara at 6.

I've got a feeling they will get rid of both Bell and Bopara with the view that they have nothing to lose, and will get more stick for being conservative and losing than making changes and losing.

Key and Trott in, although I would give Ramps a one off test

I would estimate Ramprakash's chances at 5%; Key maybe 20%; Trott at 40%.

About 50/50 on any 1 batting change and I can't see there being more than 1.

I'm not advocating this but the selectors don't like change if they can avoid it and they will see Flintoff at 7 as a strengthening measure - I wouldn't be surprised if they re-arrange the deck chairs to have Bell at 4, Collingwood at 4 and Bopara at 6.

There is no way Bopara will bat at 6. The tv panel discussed that possibility, and suggested that the Aussies would sledge him relentlessly. They said they are bound to ask Bopara whether he will be coming in at 9 or 10 next time.:icon_bigg

Imo Key will replace Bopara at 3

There is no way Bopara will bat at 6. The tv panel discussed that possibility, and suggested that the Aussies would sledge him relentlessly. They said they are bound to ask Bopara whether he will be coming in at 9 or 10 next time.:icon_bigg

Imo Key will replace Bopara at 3

You are quite right - I wasn't concentrating when I said that - I meant Bopara at 5.

However, I start to sense that the media view is that Bopara is a bust flush for this match and may well be left out and possibly Bell too. Longer term Bopara will come back but bell is putting himself at risk of being played out.

In that case I would agree with Glyn that Trott and Key are in prime positions. I just can't see Ramprakash being given an opportunity - for all sorts of reasons and Tresco neither.

I agree changes have too be made but I would be inclined to make the changes with a long term view. IMO Bell and Collingwood have had ample opportunities and they are no longer cut out for test cricket. I would bring back Trescothick to open and drop Cook to No 3 which would strengthen the batting at the top order whilst providing the selectors with breathing space to identify a long term solution beyond the Ashes. I would resist the temptation to bring back Ramprakash and instead bring in Rob Key to bat at No 4 with the view of him staking a long term claim for the No 3 spot and with the view to captaining the twenty 20 squad.

As for Bopara he has the natural ability but IMO his natural game is not best suited for a number 3 batsman. He got away with it against the mediocrity of the West Indies but against a higher class of opposition and the more intense pressure of an Ashes series he has been found out. I would drop him back down the order to No 5 in the same way Pietersen was introduced to Test Cricket with the long term view of him eventually replacing KP at No 4. As for the fear of the Aussies getting to him by sledging him, well to me this is his opportunity to prove he has the guts and character to play Test Cricket and ram their words back down their throats by producing a decent display.

My side and line up would be:

Strauss
Trescothick
Cook
Key
Bopara
Prior
Flintoff
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Onions or Harmison

Bopara and Bell should both be dropped

Trescothick and Key to come in as replacements with Trescothick swapping with Cook who would move down to three.

None of this will happen though and England will either make no changes or swap Bopara with Trott, on the basis that Trott was in the previous squad.

I dont understand this thing about Key coming back into the side. He's not good enough.

3 test matches ago Collingwood was the hero so just because he's had a couple of lean matches, there is no need to drop him. Bopara on the other hand has done nothing for 4 tests. He only got runs against a poor west indies side. I'd wave goodbye. Same with Bell even though i do think he's still got something to offer.

For this one off test they should be playing the best 11 available in county cricket.

Trescothick
Strauss
Cook
Ramprakash
Collingwood
Prior
Flintoff
Swann
Sidebottom
Anderson
Onions

I thought Treso just said he wouldnt go on tour?

Out of all the Ashes threads, i am the only one who has started a thread, and England went on to win.

Shame on you Glyn :018:

Key goes against everything the England regime stands for. He isn't fit enough, he eats too many pies, drinks too much beer and can't field. Remains to be seen just how desperate they are really.

Flintoff should be fit which will be a big boost. While I think Trott will come in for Bopara. Bell will keep his place and get a pair.

I would also think about playing Rashid as a second spinner. I think the oval will be flat and we need a result. I don't know what we have to lose by picking him.

I've just noticed on cricinfo that Stuart Clark expects himself to be dropped for the last test. That would be huge for us. He gives them so much control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566