5th Ashes test v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
feck feck feck. 39/3 already.

Win or lose, Collingwood now has to go along with Bell for the next series. Colly has played some very important innings for England but he gets out of form so badly when he's not playing well we can't afford to carry him in the hope that he will play a 'gritty' innings.

39 for 3 !!!!!!

Collingwood and Bell both out. How much longer can England persist with these failures:102:

Doing our best to give the Aussies a chance.:icon_conf

feck feck feck. 39/3 already.

Win or lose, Collingwood now has to go along with Bell for the next series. Colly has played some very important innings for England but he gets out of form so badly when he's not playing well we can't afford to carry him in the hope that he will play a 'gritty' innings.

Great minds...... :icon_lol:

England need the days play to end. If only to give themselves a chance to realize that they are still in a strong position.

Yet another no ball wicket in this series. The umpiring has been shocking all throughout. They were remarking on TMS how many times the referral system would have been used

It would be the right thing to do, but assuming we win this match, i can see Messrs Bell & Collingwood being given another extended run.

Alistair Cook has been none too brilliant either......but they are all benefitting from the shortage of credible alternatives.

Yet another no ball wicket in this series. The umpiring has been shocking all throughout. They were remarking on TMS how many times the referral system would have been used

It will ruin the game IMO. Welcome to the 2 day test match.

It would be the right thing to do, but assuming we win this match, i can see Messrs Bell & Collingwood being given another extended run.

Alistair Cook has been none too brilliant either......but they are all benefitting from the shortage of credible alternatives.

Not too sure. The England selectors, rightly or wrongly, see the 4 year 'cycle' revolving around the Ashes. They may see now as the time to move Colly on, if not Bell (but definitely Harmison). Cook has been consistent enough since 2006 to warrant retention and hopefully this series will be a kick in the proverbial for him.

Problem is lack of alternatives, but of course KP and probably Bopara will be back. Denly looks next in line. Hildreth is playing in the easy surroundings of Taunton. I'm not joking here, but if James Taylor has a good winter with the Lions (surely) and a good start to next year he will be the next 'big thing'.

Weather looks decent for the day.

Crucial first two sessions for England. If they bat till tea, the lead would probaly be nearing the 400 mark.

Knowing England, they will make a game of it:icon_roll

The Aussies already need one of the highest 4th innings run chases at the Oval. But me? I won't be happy until we have 500+.......

The Aussies already need one of the highest 4th innings run chases at the Oval. But me? I won't be happy until we have 500+.......

We had the 500+, but the Aussies are 80 for 0 at the close.

Should be confident, but would like to see England get a wicket early doors tomorrow to settle the nerves.

What happened to the dodgy pitch ? England found batting comfortable and only 6 wkts went down all day.

Last edited:
We had the 500+, but the Aussies are 80 for 0 at the close.

Should be confident, but would like to see England get a wicket early doors tomorrow to settle the nerves.

What happened to the dodgy pitch ? England found batting comfortable and only 6 wkts went down all day.

Being a typical fan I am already thinking that we are doomed and that the Aussies will comfortably score the runs needed. The Ashes are gone, I tell ya......

Agree with you, the pitch today wasn't a problem at all - although notable that Marcus North was their leading bowler.

Logically however it should still be enough but I worry about a scenario where they get to 150-0 and Jimmy and co start spraying it about due to frustration. We need a Freddie super-spell to ease the nerves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669