Pre Match Arsenal v Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi People – I am a visiting West Ham fan and wanted to pop in and let you know just how much most football fans are enjoying Leicester’s success. As a West Ham fan I approach every game in “hope” rather than any degree of “expectation”. For every away win at Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal – there is the home loss to Bournemouth – and Leicester (little did we know we had lost to the potential Champions!). The team flatters to deceive and avoiding relegation is always the biggest goal, especially this season with new Stadium next year (BTW – did you know that “The New Stadium” is a perfect anagram of “West Ham United” – spooky eh) - and blow me down, we are going to stay up!

Anyway, in my view, Leicester are resetting the goals of what us “average” clubs can achieve. They are proving that a great “team” can still be better than a bunch of fantastic (expensive) individual players wearing the same shirt. They are showing that winning football games is about scoring goals – not endless tikka- takka possession that doesn’t go anywhere. They are showing that even if everyone knows what a team is capable of, and individual players are renowned for – knowing it, and stopping it, is two different things.

Your recent match against Man City was an absolute delight for us “old schoolers”. The Man City team talk, pre-match, must have featured dealing with Leicester’s corners and set-pieces as well as trying to deal with Leicester’s ability to counter attack so often and so well – and look what happened!

Of course the likes of Man City will create chances and have periods of dominance and pressure in a game – but when teams defend as well as Leicester do, work as hard for each other as Leicester do and have players that understand their roles as well as the Leicester players do – then if Man City don’t score, they are always likely to be heading for trouble.

Watching the pundits discuss Leicester is equally revealing. We all know what a Barcelona or (somewhat less so) Arsenal are capable of. They put out teams made up very fast, often small, very skilful players that have the capability to retain possession and pass it around. All well and good and there is nothing wrong with that – it plays to their team’s strengths.

However, we must not allow the thought that that is the “right” way and every other way is the wrong “way”! A headed goal by a big centre half from a set piece is as valid as 30 pass build up - it’s just different. If the opposition defence cannot deal with the big centre half, then that is a huge flaw in their team. If a defence can’t handle a fast break out (because their “defence” was in the opposition half applying attacking pressure) then that is a faulty defence! At the very extreme, the Chelsea V Barcelona game, when Torres scored on the break, highlights my point.

In summary, most football fans want Leicester to win the league if their team cannot. I read some of the comments and, understandably perhaps, many are still finding it hard to “believe”. Look, the stats show that Leicester will finish in the top four – frankly that is done and dusted. The highest ever 5th place points total was 67 – with the average being sub-65. The idea that Leicester will not get at least 15 points from the next 13 games is silly (OK, it is not impossible – but really, a point a game? That is the form of relegation teams and it will not happen)!

So given that top 4 is done – win the bloody thing!

As a West Ham fan I approach every game in “hope” rather than any degree of “expectation”.

It will probably surprise you to hear that it's still the same for the majority of Leicester fans. Our elevated position is taking some getting used to.

Hi People – I am a visiting West Ham fan and wanted to pop in and let you know just how much most football fans are enjoying Leicester’s success. As a West Ham fan I approach every game in “hope” rather than any degree of “expectation”. For every away win at Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal – there is the home loss to Bournemouth – and Leicester (little did we know we had lost to the potential Champions!). The team flatters to deceive and avoiding relegation is always the biggest goal, especially this season with new Stadium next year (BTW – did you know that “The New Stadium” is a perfect anagram of “West Ham United” – spooky eh) - and blow me down, we are going to stay up!

Anyway, in my view, Leicester are resetting the goals of what us “average” clubs can achieve. They are proving that a great “team” can still be better than a bunch of fantastic (expensive) individual players wearing the same shirt. They are showing that winning football games is about scoring goals – not endless tikka- takka possession that doesn’t go anywhere. They are showing that even if everyone knows what a team is capable of, and individual players are renowned for – knowing it, and stopping it, is two different things.

Your recent match against Man City was an absolute delight for us “old schoolers”. The Man City team talk, pre-match, must have featured dealing with Leicester’s corners and set-pieces as well as trying to deal with Leicester’s ability to counter attack so often and so well – and look what happened!

Of course the likes of Man City will create chances and have periods of dominance and pressure in a game – but when teams defend as well as Leicester do, work as hard for each other as Leicester do and have players that understand their roles as well as the Leicester players do – then if Man City don’t score, they are always likely to be heading for trouble.

Watching the pundits discuss Leicester is equally revealing. We all know what a Barcelona or (somewhat less so) Arsenal are capable of. They put out teams made up very fast, often small, very skilful players that have the capability to retain possession and pass it around. All well and good and there is nothing wrong with that – it plays to their team’s strengths.

However, we must not allow the thought that that is the “right” way and every other way is the wrong “way”! A headed goal by a big centre half from a set piece is as valid as 30 pass build up - it’s just different. If the opposition defence cannot deal with the big centre half, then that is a huge flaw in their team. If a defence can’t handle a fast break out (because their “defence” was in the opposition half applying attacking pressure) then that is a faulty defence! At the very extreme, the Chelsea V Barcelona game, when Torres scored on the break, highlights my point.

In summary, most football fans want Leicester to win the league if their team cannot. I read some of the comments and, understandably perhaps, many are still finding it hard to “believe”. Look, the stats show that Leicester will finish in the top four – frankly that is done and dusted. The highest ever 5th place points total was 67 – with the average being sub-65. The idea that Leicester will not get at least 15 points from the next 13 games is silly (OK, it is not impossible – but really, a point a game? That is the form of relegation teams and it will not happen)!

So given that top 4 is done – win the bloody thing!
Welcome to doubters alley.

As a 40+ year fan of City I will never underestimate our team's ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory - Watford play-off immediately springs to mind - but this feels different.

I enjoyed reading your post and many thanks for the kind words.

Fingers crossed that Mark Lawrenson keeps predicting us to lose!

Welcome to doubters alley.

As a 40+ year fan of City I will never underestimate our team's ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory - Watford play-off immediately springs to mind - but this feels different.

... and BTW, the outcome of your next game against Arsenal has little to do with whether you will win the league or not! There isn't a team in the Premiership that would "expect" something from a visit to The Emirates. They might hope, or wish, or even believe they have got a chance - but only a fool would expect. Catch 'em on one of their good days, and anyone could get a battering, Alternatively, West Ham won there! So the game against Arsenal is not specifically relevant to the overall target - other than if you win - then it will be hugely relevant! So don't suddenly lose faith if things don't go well - it would only be your third loss of the season!

As an aside, I read a comment that expressed concerns about Chelsea getting a top 4 slot. As discussed above, they would probably need to finish on say, 68 points or above to achieve that - they currently have 30 - with 13 games to go - which means 38 points from 13 games - i.e. 13 wins from 13 games - not going to happen!

I am not sure what happens if Chelsea were to win the Champions league and Liverpool were to win the Europa league and both finished outside the top 4 in the Premiership - how many places would be left to qualify through league position?

I am not sure what happens if Chelsea were to win the Champions league and Liverpool were to win the Europa league and both finished outside the top 4 in the Premiership - how many places would be left to qualify through league position?

Bob, Jeff??

I would love that to happen to Spurs again just like 2012. Still, wouldn't take that risk considering we might drop to fourth so out you go please...

What is exciting about the Arsenal game is that if we lose, we are still 1st!! I think we will nick it like we did Tottenham. 1-0 foxes.

I was at the game when we nearly ended the unbeaten run, that game just proves we are cursed there.

Seen some lovely own goals down the years

Yeah Walshy got a belter from distance one year and can remember Super Frank scoring one with a classic 50p head moment.

Oh the happy memories of Arsenal away!

From another article on their site:

View attachment 12511

:(
...and the wonderful thing about statistical runs is they come to an end. If this season has proved anything it's that we can fully disregard historical results.

All the pressure is on them to win, I don't believe they can handle it. We will fight them for the full 90 like they've never been fought before - and will leave with all three points.

We're going to win the motherfucking title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566