Ashes test, Lords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In tests this year

Onions has taken 11 wickets in 3 matches

Harmison has taken 4 wickets in 2 matches

says it all really :icon_wink

Harmy took 6 wickets against the Aussies this Summer. A couple of fivefors in his last 2 matches.

Have you heard of the word 'form' :icon_cool

I'd be more concerned about Broads contribution as a bowler.

If anyone else was to come in I'd plump for a fit Ryan Sidebottom, Harmy has still got a lot to prove in my eyes.

Hauritz is batting.

and stroking some decent shots for someone with a dislocated middle finger! He's not even number 10 either! The other guy must be shite.

Great day for England. Let's hope they don't sneak past the follow on with a cheeky partnership in the morning!

Great day for England. Let's hope they don't sneak past the follow on with a cheeky partnership in the morning!

the last wicket stand by Anderson and Onions could prove to be invaluable

Thought Freddie bowled very well today, and averaged over 90mph.

Would like to see England bat again rather than enforce a possible follow-on. You can just see the Aussies batting a lot better 2nd time around, and giving England a target of 150 to 200, which could be dodgy.
If England bat and take the lead to over 500, then the Aussies will have a long time to try and get a draw. Always difficult for a team when the incentive of victory is taken away.

Thought Freddie bowled very well today, and averaged over 90mph.

Would like to see England bat again rather than enforce a possible follow-on. You can just see the Aussies batting a lot better 2nd time around, and giving England a target of 150 to 200, which could be dodgy.
If England bat and take the lead to over 500, then the Aussies will have a long time to try and get a draw. Always difficult for a team when the incentive of victory is taken away.

There is another reason for not enforcing the follow on in that the Aussies have already spent a cumulatively long time in the field over the last week both at Cardiff and then at Lords.

That said, if Strauss doesn't enforce the follow on and it goes pear shape through the weather or whatver then there is going to be heavy criticism.

That said, if Strauss doesn't enforce the follow on and it goes pear shape through the weather or whatver then there is going to be heavy criticism.

Strauss needs to show confidence in his bowlers, and not leave too short a time to bowl the Aussies out. The way the game is developing, they have a chance of a 500+ lead, and allowing for 5 sessions to bowl them out.

Strauss needs to show confidence in his bowlers, and not leave too short a time to bowl the Aussies out. The way the game is developing, they have a chance of a 500+ lead, and allowing for 5 sessions to bowl them out.

They wouldn't need a 500+ lead. My guess is that 400 max would be plenty for a fourth innings - that said Strauss tends towards the negative/ ultra cautious and would probably want a monster lead (if he can get it) which could provide the Aussies with their escape route.

They wouldn't need a 500+ lead. My guess is that 400 max would be plenty for a fourth innings - that said Strauss tends towards the negative/ ultra cautious and would probably want a monster lead (if he can get it) which could provide the Aussies with their escape route.

But why even give them the slightest chance:102: There is enough time left in the game for England to put the Aussies completely out of it, and still have ample time to bowl them out.
If it was the other way round, i'm sure the Aussies would be ruthless.

Not much chat on this today. Everyone down the shops?

Slight wobble earlier but should be looking for a big lead today. We would hope to bat till tomorrow. Not been as much rain about as first expected but could well be a factor.

Perfect day really for England.

Lead of 521, and a complete rarity seeing England having the Aussies praying for rain. Lets see how they handle being under real pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669