Confirmed Transfer Beckford loaned to Huddersfield

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Leicester are struggling for goals and are playing Waghorn up front
- Leicester loan out Beckford to a rival
- Beckford scores goals, Waghorn doesn't

I'm quite certain there is more to it than that....but I can't think of many other team decisions and situations that look as patently ridiculous as this one around football.

Quite

In my opinion the fans are usually about right about players and as a whole the Leicester support never really took to Beckford - discerning that he probably wasn't putting in 100% - but why was this the case?

Most of the ones I heard didn't like Yakubu either.

'kin hell people are getting rather upset about something they have no control over.

The Beckford situation just looks ridiculous to a neutral:

I'm quite certain there is more to it than that....but I can't think of many other team decisions and situations that look as patently ridiculous as this one around football.

Ask Jeff about Paddy Madden, on loan at Yeovil from parent club Carlisle.

Also interesting to note today Preston NE signing a striker from the Conference with two goals for the season whilst giving their 7 goal from 14 games striker just another month's contract.

There's reasons behind those decisions.

It's up for debate at all that there's a goalscoring problem here as well. Little doubt that we could be sharper on goal though. I feel that upfront we need experience and nous rather than Beckford.

'kin hell people are getting rather upset about something they have no control over.

The Beckford situation just looks ridiculous to a neutral:

Isn't that the case for everything in football though??

Also interesting to note today Preston NE signing a striker from the Conference with two goals for the season whilst giving their 7 goal from 14 games striker just another month's contract.

There's reasons behind those decisions.

It's up for debate at all that there's a goalscoring problem here as well. Little doubt that we could be sharper on goal though. I feel that upfront we need experience and nous rather than Beckford.

Quite, isn't it only one game in which we have failed to score in so far this year? Granted we could have scored more than one in some of the games but it seems as if some fans expect every shot on target or even just every shot to equate to a goal when even the best teams in the world cannot achieve anything like that.

Quite, isn't it only one game in which we have failed to score in so far this year? Granted we could have scored more than one in some of the games but it seems as if some fans expect every shot on target or even just every shot to equate to a goal when even the best teams in the world cannot achieve anything like that.

There are also bemoaning Waghorn missing so many but seem to be leaving Nugent alone. Strange.

I can't even be bothered to get started on Waghorn as the general consensus on here of him is just laughable.

I'm fully aware that he hasn't scored for us as yet this year but his general play has been great and was probably the best player on the pitch against Forest. He's obviously suffering from lack of confidence which is completely understandable after seemingly being unwanted here under the first regime and shipped out on loan and then suffering a number of injuries. I'm fairly confident that once he scores his first this year, he'll go on to bang a few more.

He's not going to be getting us 25-30 goals a year as he's not that type of player but I'd fully expect him to get 10-15 given ample opportunity as the majority of his playing time so far has been substitute appearances.

Best thing for me though is how he gets slated for 'just running about' but then Vardy will get praised to the hills as 'he doesn't stop working.'

Go on ask me. Someone ask me. Please.

No?

Well I'm going to tell you about him anyway.

Signed from an Irish club in January 2011. He's never looked like a striker for Carlisle.

In the first half of his Yeovil debut he scored two goals. That's as many as he's scored in his 36 games for Carlisle. And he's continued scoring since, 6 goals in 8 games so far.

He was sent out on loan after Carlisle signed Joe Garner on loan from Watford. Garner had done well at Carlisle a few years ago but then got a big money move to Forest. At Watford he's scored just one goal in 27 games. During his loan spell at Carlisle he's scored 7 in 12 games.

Some players perform at some clubs and not others. Maybe it's down to confidence, the way the team plays, or just that they seem to fit in better.

NP has said that the players he's got rid of over the last year were either not good enough or didn't want to be here. In his view, it is therefore fair to say that Beckford fits at least one of these categories.

On the evidence of what I've seen of him, he fits both.

Having watched Waghorn over recent years, I think he's a decent lad who occasionally goes on a goal scoring run, but he isn't a natural striker. If we'd got enough goals in the team from elsewhere, I wouldn't object to him having a place in the side at all. But we don't.

We need a lot more goals from the team and the expectation would then ease from some individuals. The defenders hardly ever contribute because we're awful at set pieces. The centre midfield only do so if King gets the freedom to get forward. Dyer, Knockaert and Marshall are hardly proving to be a regular threat, and so on. If Nugent goes on a 10-15 game run without a goal, which he's perfectly capable of doing, we're really shafted because his goals have carried us in many games this season.

Beckford patently can score goals regularly. However, he's not shown that in a City shirt and is unlikely to do so with NP as manager. Any striker that scores a hat trick against Florist ought to be a City hero but it really does emphasise how unconvincing he's been for us that most fans are not in the slightest bit bothered that, firstly, he's been out of the team, and secondly lent to Huddersfield.

To me, he's a bad panic purchase from someone who didn't do his homework on signings and who has never really been interested in playing for us.

Go on ask me. Someone ask me. Please.
Ok Jeff. Will you please tell me what you know about Paddy Madden?
:icon_conf I just asked you.
Well I'm going to tell you about him anyway.
Thanks.
Signed from an Irish club in January 2011. He's never looked like a striker for Carlisle.

In the first half of his Yeovil debut he scored two goals. That's as many as he's scored in his 36 games for Carlisle. And he's continued scoring since, 6 goals in 8 games so far.

He was sent out on loan after Carlisle signed Joe Garner on loan from Watford. Garner had done well at Carlisle a few years ago but then got a big money move to Forest. At Watford he's scored just one goal in 27 games. During his loan spell at Carlisle he's scored 7 in 12 games.

Some players perform at some clubs and not others. Maybe it's down to confidence, the way the team plays, or just that they seem to fit in better.
Are you suggesting that players aren't robots?

NP has said that the players he's got rid of over the last year were either not good enough or didn't want to be here. In his view, it is therefore fair to say that Beckford fits at least one of these categories.

On the evidence of what I've seen of him, he fits both.

Having watched Waghorn over recent years, I think he's a decent lad who occasionally goes on a goal scoring run, but he isn't a natural striker. If we'd got enough goals in the team from elsewhere, I wouldn't object to him having a place in the side at all. But we don't.

We need a lot more goals from the team and the expectation would then ease from some individuals. The defenders hardly ever contribute because we're awful at set pieces. The centre midfield only do so if King gets the freedom to get forward. Dyer, Knockaert and Marshall are hardly proving to be a regular threat, and so on. If Nugent goes on a 10-15 game run without a goal, which he's perfectly capable of doing, we're really shafted because his goals have carried us in many games this season.

Beckford patently can score goals regularly. However, he's not shown that in a City shirt and is unlikely to do so with NP as manager. Any striker that scores a hat trick against Florist ought to be a City hero but it really does emphasise how unconvincing he's been for us that most fans are not in the slightest bit bothered that, firstly, he's been out of the team, and secondly lent to Huddersfield.

To me, he's a bad panic purchase from someone who didn't do his homework on signings and who has never really been interested in playing for us.
I have to agree with this, just adding that we have been scoring goals this season, but have not taken as many of the chances we have created as I would like, which is the frustrating thing. If we could up the goal count from set pieces and have defenders chipping in with a few we would be putting more games to bed.

Yeah corners are the most frustrating thing really. Not only because when I grew up watching City regularly in the 'glory days' they seemed to be the main source of our threats, we rarely provide any threat at all now. Combined with the fact we seem to be very bad at defending them so far this year just rubs salt into the wound even more. Surely must come down to training or lack of it as this is one of the basics we need to get right.

Only part I'd disagree with would be Dyer as to be fair to him, he seems to chip in with a fair amount of goals for a midfielder and was unlucky imo not be credited with the 1st against Forest.

Yeah corners are the most frustrating thing really. Not only because when I grew up watching City regularly in the 'glory days' they seemed to be the main source of our threats, we rarely provide any threat at all now.

since we got rid of john o'neill, there's no one to flick em on at the near post. i reckon he could still stand there and 'do a job' !

Despite the fact the views may differ from mine, its good to see a decent discussion about football, seems to happen less and less on here, with many posters simply error picking and point scoring whilst trying to massage their own ego.

For the record I think we do have a goal scoring problem, hence the reason we have failed to win games we have dominated. We have 1 striker who scores the odd goal, the others don't seem able to.

We have scored goals

It's the ratio of goals scored to chances created that's causing concern. But if you play a centre forward who couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo, that's what you get

That and the now almost farcical corner situation - and again it's not simply that we haven't scored from a corner since Morgan illegally did so in the first game, it's the fact that we don't even come close

'tis depressing in the extreme

And no I don't think we should be scoring four goals a game, or PEarSoN must go, like the blinkered idiots seem to suggest anyone who criticises the strikers must be thinking

We create chances. We simply do not have the quality of player up front to take them

Despite the fact the views may differ from mine, its good to see a decent discussion about football, seems to happen less and less on here, with many posters simply error picking and point scoring whilst trying to massage their own ego.

For the record I think we do have a goal scoring problem, hence the reason we have failed to win games we have dominated. We have 1 striker who scores the odd goal, the others don't seem able to.

I don't think that's the case at all, more so that some people (you, most notably) have thrown around some statements about Pearson that seem to be purely speculative.

"He clearly can't handle the big players?" Why? Because a sub-standard Beckford on huge wages has left to join another club? Because a disappointing Danns hasn't performed on a regular basis? Because Matt Mills was a huge flop? Because Bamba left too, another potential disaster?

All these players were brought in under Sven and none lived up to the billing (most will disagree about Bamba but I've made my feelings about him clear in the past). Who says Pearson wasn't been told to shift some high-earners off the books this summer? Did Beckford want to be here? Did he even deserve a first-team place anyway? The answer to two of those are known by very few and the latter is hugely debatable. I saw enough of Beckford to argue strongly against the latter.

I don't buy the theory that he was a disruptive influence judging by previous posts on here. Therefore, why would Pearson have to handle his ego? And, even if there were murmurs of discontent I would find it very difficult to believe Beckford would be shipped off so suddenly.

Ultimately Pearson is surviving in a job with huge pressures, one (I'm told reliably) was offered elsewhere earlier in the season. To succeed he needs the best squad, in his opinion, to win football matches. Of course we will never all agree with that.

It's not a case of sitting on the fence, or trying to massage egos, it's about piecing together facts with likely conclusions and not storming gung-ho on a notion that essentially has no grounding from anywhere as far as I can tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566