Confirmed Transfer Beckford loaned to Huddersfield

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact of the matter is that very few of us know the intricate details about what happens behind closed doors at the club. It seems to me as though people are foaming at the mouth about some wild statements that may or may not be true.

By jove, he's got it.

Beckford is probably the best striker in this division after Charlie Austin. You can use figures to twist your story but Beckford was top scorer at Everton in a team that was far less threatening than it is now, as it was set up far more defensively and he scored 10 not 8.

Akinbiyi scored 9 in the premier with us. :icon_redf

He scored 8 goals in the Premier League. If you are trying to argue he's a Premier League striker, using goals against reserve teams and lower league teams in the cup hardly backs up your argument. It's like saying Beckford is one of the best strikers in the Championship and using his 5 goals against Swindon and an injury striken Forest in the cup to say how it makes him the second best striker in the Championship. You are comparing him witth Graham and Campbell as a Premier League player yet are factoring in Beckford's goals against lower league opposition and reserve teams in the cup, how does that work?

I'm not saying he gave a shocking return but even if it were a half decent return 8 goals in the Premier League is certainly a long way from proven and it's a bizarre reason to claim someone is the second best striker in the division. Do we not remember when Francis Jeffers scored goals in the PL for Everton? If player x plays 4 games in the PL and scores 4 goals after not being proven above League One level before that and then drops down to the Championship is he suddenly the best striker in the Championship because he has an awesome goals to game ratio in the Premier League? Scoring very few goals in the PL does not suddenly mean you're an incredible striker. If he was that good, why were Everton not bothered about getting rid of him to a lower league team after one season?

I don't understand why fans are saying he's amazing because he scored 8 goals in the PL over what they've seen with their own eyes for over a year. How about you judge him based on how he's played for us, rather than making ludicrous claims about him being the second best striker in the Championship when he's never shown on the pitch for us he's anything like it.

Also, you didn't answer my other point: John Pantsil was a far, far more proven Premier League talent than Beckford was, so would you say he would be the best right back in the league if he were still here or not? If so, why not? Because you're actually basing it on the performances he put in here rather than statistics and word of mouth?

Cup goals count! you're a moron! Cheapen them if you want but you can't just wipe them off

When he was sold, Everton were in a position that they had to sell players. The bank was not going to extend their overdraft and they were very close to going into administration. Do you really think Moyes wanted to sell Arteta? We came knocking for Beckford and offered a decent package and they took it.

Cup goals count! you're a moron! Cheapen them if you want but you can't just wipe them off

When he was sold, Everton were in a position that they had to sell players. The bank was not going to extend their overdraft and they were very close to going into administration. Do you really think Moyes wanted to sell Arteta? We came knocking for Beckford and offered a decent package and they took it.

Wow. You completely ignore my points and questions again and just stoop to low ad hominum attacks. Real classy. :icon_roll

At no point did I say cup goals "don't count" as you are trying to spin me saying. I was saying that if you're going to claim that a player is of a certain quality level based on raw statistics that you should perhaps stick to using statistics which truly reflect that certain level. I fail to see what is moronic about saying that if you are claiming a player did well at Premier League level, you should probably use Premier League goals which are representative of opposition at that level and not use cup goals against lower league teams and reserve teams to help back this up.

I don't know why you are being so picky about one small point of my post though and completely ignoring the rest of my post though. Why have you ignored the same question I asked you about Pantsil and the examples of strikers who've also netted a few goals at the top level twice now despite prompting you? If you're making a claim about a player being the second best striker at this level and people are asking you questions trying to debate that claim surely the onus on you should be to answer their queries instead of attacking them for no reason? :102:

There's no need for that. Attack the post, not the poster.
If you can't play nicely, you'll be banished to the naughty step to play on your own.

I'm sorry but you can't discount legitimate goals in a player's season when you're trying to make a point against their ability to score. It's ridiculous

Does he get double points if he scores with his weaker foot? Also, does a tap in score lower points than a header from 35 yards?

Does he get double points if he scores with his weaker foot? Also, does a tap in score lower points than a header from 35 yards?

what about a Zlatan 35 yard overhead kick? Surely that's worth 100 at least

I'm sorry but you can't discount legitimate goals in a player's season when you're trying to make a point against their ability to score. It's ridiculous

I was never making a point against his ability to score, I was making a point against you're claim that he was of a certain quality level and the second best striker at a certain level because he'd scored a few goals at the level above before.

Again, though, it was just a very small, unimportant part of my counter point (which you continue to completely ignore). If he scored 8 or 10 it doesn't matter to my point.

Last edited:
what about a Zlatan 35 yard overhead kick? Surely that's worth 100 at least

Flukes don't count

Especially against any team with Ryan Shawcross in it

in fact we should deduct goals from his total

Flukes don't count

Especially against any team with Ryan Shawcross in it

in fact we should deduct goals from his total

Flukes? there was nothing flukey about that goal? do you need glasses?

...you're a moron!

"Grow up"?

"You're a moron"?

What's happening, gregs? Can't you argue your case without this kind of thing?
;-(

Whichever way you look a this badly managed situation one thing is clear, yet again Leicester City will come out losers in the whole debacle, no striker, little money and another case adding to our reputation of ruining players who were ok elsewhere.

Player will move (has moved) and will score goals for the benefit of another club.

And the cycle will no doubt continue...

Whichever way you look a this badly managed situation one thing is clear, yet again Leicester City will come out losers in the whole debacle, no striker, little money and another case adding to our reputation of ruining players who were ok elsewhere.

Player will move (has moved) and will score goals for the benefit of another club.

Speak for yourself, that isn't how I'm looking at it at all

I am sure that most people on this board will be unsurprised by my empathy with your reading of the situation: there is just one point that I would question - you say "little money". I have always read that the board will back the manager, who spent well in the summer: have I missed something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669